PDA

View Full Version : Endnote V 7.0 for Mac

cyrusmekon
2004-08-18, 02:44
Hi there im in need of some help.

I am trying to insert references from endnote version 7 into Word. Now it worked all fine yesterday however when i try it today Word pops up with the following message

"This command is not available because a document window is not active"

I try to insert a reference using both the endnote toolbar and the drop down menu, tools-->endnote7. Both times the error appears and the Word document IS active.

I need to meet a deadline really soon and this is a nightmare.

Anyone able to help?

Thank you

staph
2004-08-18, 04:31
Hi there im in need of some help.

I am trying to insert references from endnote version 7 into Word. Now it worked all fine yesterday however when i try it today Word pops up with the following message

"This command is not available because a document window is not active"

I try to insert a reference using both the endnote toolbar and the drop down menu, tools-->endnote7. Both times the error appears and the Word document IS active.

I need to meet a deadline really soon and this is a nightmare.

Anyone able to help?

Thank you

Hmm, can't help with the main problem (that sounds weird, and I don't word process in Word), but is there any reason why you can't just manually insert that one footnote (i.e. cut an paste it from the little Endnote preview window?)

cyrusmekon
2004-08-18, 05:30
Thanks for the suggestion Staph. Unfortunatly this does not work. The cite while you write option is set to update references every 30secs. When i drag across the reference the tag apperas but it does not update i.e turn into a number in the main body of the text with the reference appearing in the bibliography.

I checked with my friends Mac, setup exactly the same and his works fine.

I really am stumped here. It woked fine yesterday and today it decides to do this. aaaaahhhh

cyrusmekon
2004-08-18, 06:23
Solved the problem. I changed the name of my hard drive yesterday so i reverted to the name that it was called when i installed it. Works fine now. Minor panic attack.

In saying this i rely heavily on endnote. What do others rely on?? OS sysems do not count.

staph
2004-08-18, 06:58
I'm very familiar with Endnote (I'm a research assistant at the Law school — I can't really avoid it), but the program I use to manage my personal bibliographies is BookEnds (www.sonnysoftware.com), partly because I prefer its interface, partly because it's much much cheaper than Endnote, partly because it integrates with Mellel (which is what I actually use for my word processor — just finished my second honours thesis using it).

I suppose the only other major option would be Bibtex, and that's not exactly the most user-friendly option.

Brad
2004-08-18, 07:53
Please do not post duplicate threads across the forums. We have a clear policy against this in our Posting Guidelines (http://forums.applenova.com/guidelines.html).

I am closing this thread since you have another in the correct forum (Genius Bar) and seem to have resolved the issue anyway.