PDA

View Full Version : damn the Apple Store :)

eochs
2006-03-01, 22:55
I get my yearly bonus on March 24th, and am trying to decide what to get with it (I currently have a Mac Mini 1.5Ghz, DL Superdrive, 1GB RAM, 64MB VRAM, etc)... I went in to the Apple Store (Austin) today to look at the Intel iMacs... I was trying to decide between getting the new Mini (and selling mine on ebay) with a new Dell 2005FP (I work for Dell), or just getting a 17" iMac... Damn them and there sneaky upsell techniques by putting the 17" iMac Core Duo I was playing with right next to the 20" iMac Duo! Some guy was playing the 1080p V for Vendetta trailer on the 20", and I don't think I can in good consience purchase the 17" now... After watching how good it looks playing that I don't think I can buy the Mini Duo with only 64MB RAM now either!

damn Apple and their obvious technique to get more of my money!

chucker
2006-03-01, 23:10
Tough decision indeed. The Dell 2005FPW (you wouldn't buy a non-widescreen, would you ;) ) is quite a good screen, but the iMac is quite a good computer.

Of course, now that the iMac has DVI-out, you could just get both, but that's a little expensive.

eochs
2006-03-02, 00:05
yes, of course the FPW :)

atomicbartbeans
2006-03-02, 06:42
damn Apple and their obvious technique to get more of my money!
Haha, they are very good at that. Just be glad you haven't bought five iPods (http://forums.applenova.com/member.php?u=40). :)

beardedmacuser
2006-03-02, 07:27
Some guy was playing the 1080p V for Vendetta trailer on the 20", and I don't think I can in good consience purchase the 17" now... After watching how good it looks playing that I don't think I can buy the Mini Duo with only 64MB RAM now either!

The general consensus on this forum seems to be that the new Intel mini will play 1080p just fine.

Bryson
2006-03-02, 07:44
Dell employee buys Mac. Priceless.

The other thing they do is put the 30" screens in a corner so that they look even bigger. Nice work.

eochs
2006-03-02, 10:24
Dell employee buys Mac. Priceless.

Just because I work in Dell engineering doesn't mean I can't appreciate another company making a good computer :) Besides, I work in enterprise engineering, so I hardly ever get to play with our desktop toys... I've got a Dell laptop at home with my Mac Mini...

Luca
2006-03-02, 10:33
Why would you replace your mini with the new one? The new one isn't much better. I'd upgrade some other component - buy a 2005fpw or (if your budget allows) a 2405fpw.

As it stands, the new mini isn't really much better in any area. The clock speed is the same, you already have yours maxed out with the RAM and the Superdrive, and you have 64MB of dedicated VRAM (unlike the new ones).

eochs
2006-03-02, 10:42
True, the specs aren't that much better, but the dual core Intel and faster RAM should speed up video encoding, which I do a lot of...

srizvi1
2006-03-02, 12:21
eochs said: I get my yearly bonus on March 24th, and am trying to decide what to get with it (I currently have a Mac Mini 1.5Ghz, DL Superdrive, 1GB RAM, 64MB VRAM, etc)...

I was trying to decide between getting the new Mini (and selling mine on ebay)

Eochs, what're you thinking of selling your old one for? How much Hard drive space does it have?

With the announcements of the new mac minis, I've been thinking now might be a good time to grab an old one for a couple hundred bucks. I have an old, crappy G3 powermac at home I mainly use as a back up comp to my main comp (my 15" powerbook - which I purchased w/ a little help from this forum actually: http://forums.applenova.com/showthread.php?p=156585#post156585). I'd like to do a little more with my home back up comp (web server, print server, etc. - if anyone has any other good ideas, do let me know) so that's why I was thinking of replacing the powermac with a mac mini. My only reason to consider the new intel mac mini would be for media purposes (PVR, streaming, etc), but from what I'm reading around this site, it seems the new mac mini may not be that perfect for media stuff yet.

The mac mini is catching my eye because it's real small and could help clean up the clutter around my desk. I also have an old dell pc there w/ its own monitor so I too am looking into getting the Dell 2005 widescreen (once it falls around the $350 price range).

Shahryar