PDA

View Full Version : Which one is the best SATA hard drive to buy??

Kusakun
2006-03-05, 15:36
Hi guys. I own a PM G5 QUAD and i want to add another hard drive for it. -I have a maxtor 250 gb- The reason of this message is to ask you guys which one is the best hard drive for a second drive in the range of 300, 320, 400 GB of space. I dont know if the PM supports SATA 2 or SATA with 16 mb of buffer.
I want to know which is the best brand and model.

Thanks a lot...

Kusakun

Ebby
2006-03-05, 15:40
I've started using Western Digital's since I've had a few too many Maxtors die on me. It seems you want Space more than speed, but I wouldn't get anything under 7200RPM.

Kusakun
2006-03-05, 16:01
No no. I want speed. 7200 RPM is just fine. 10000 is too much. So im looking HD between the following brands:

- Western Digital
- Seagate
- Maxtor
- Hitachi
- Samsung

I hear you guys. Post the best brand and model you´d recommend.

Thanks!

DMBand0026
2006-03-06, 14:48
Seagate. Best in reliability, but not necessarily in price. You'll pay a little more for them, but it's worth it. Plus, they're the only HDDs to come with a 5 year manufactures warranty, that bests all others by 2 years at the very least. Go with a Seagate. Check NewEgg (http://www.newegg.com) for good prices.

Luca
2006-03-06, 15:03
Seagate for the warranty. None of the other factors matter - they're all based on anecdotal evidence. In the end, I doubt there's much of a difference between any of the brands. The biggest difference is the warranty on Seagate hard drives.

I actually don't recommend NewEgg anymore. They don't use FedEx anymore - now they use UPS, and you pay for shipping on almost everything (before you'd only have to pay shipping on about 25% of items). And the service is slower and less reliable.

ZipZoomFly is where you want to go now. Their website isn't as ingeniously laid out as NewEgg's, but you can still find everything, and shipping is quick and free in many cases (just like how NewEgg used to be).

Kusakun
2006-03-06, 16:18
Yes buy I read that Seagate has ISSUES with the PM G5. Is that Right?

What about my other question does the PM QUAD support SATA 2 or SATA with 16 mb of buffer (cache)?

Thank you guys

billybobsky
2006-03-07, 00:44
If you go to the apple website it indicates that the quad g5s support SATA.

Luca
2006-03-07, 01:39
The issue I've heard is that newer SATA II drives (300 MB/s instead of the original SATA, which is 150 MB/s) can sometimes cause problems with Power Mac G5s. Now, SATA II is supposed to be fully backward compatible with the original SATA, but I have heard that some Seagate SATA II drives don't work. The solution, of course, is to just buy a regular SATA drive instead. They sell both, and they cost about the same.

admactanium
2006-03-07, 03:42
seagate's new drives are fine in g5's. i've had 2 of their non-compatible ones and two of the working ones in my quad now. they're fine. they're a bit loud, but otherwise i'm liking them.