PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite Apple peripheral?

sunrain
2004-08-18, 15:33
I was just thinking the other day how much I appreciate my iSight camera. This one little bit of hardware totally improves my well being. I bought a pair of iSights for myself and my girlfriend to use while we are apart this year as I start my doctorate. The quality is incredible and makes my day to be able to see and talk with her. I shudder to think how lonely I'd feel (and what my cell phone bill would be) without having them.

What is your favorite?

windowsblowsass
2004-08-18, 15:34
iPod

Messiahtosh
2004-08-18, 15:35
iPod, followed by the BT wireless mouse.

Luca
2004-08-18, 15:41
I don't have any Apple peripherals.

Monitor - NEC
Keyboard/Mouse - Logitech
Speakers - Yamaha
Headphones - Sennheiser
Camera - Canon
Printer - HP
Scanner - Agfa
Router - Linksys

Just the box is an Apple. I can't think of anything connected to it that is also made by Apple. And I sold my iPod just a week ago, so I don't even have that anymore.

Mr Beardsley
2004-08-18, 15:44
iPod for sure. No more radio for me. Why do they have to shout their station number at you 5 times a minute? I can just look at my radio and see who I'm tuned in to.

DMBand0026
2004-08-18, 15:51
iPod

Followed by AirPort Express, even though it's sucking right now. Updates to follow. For more info though, check out my thread in GB and see if you can help me.

kretara
2004-08-18, 16:28
No doubt its my iPod.
I have a first generation 5GB that gets used for around 7 hours 5 days a week.
I love this friggin thing.

Ryan
2004-08-18, 17:32
iPod. Second is Airport.

hype.it
2004-08-18, 17:51
favorite Apple peripheral... does that include displays?

My little displays (http://forums.applenova.com/showthread.php?p=23124#post23114), it's my window to the world!

:lol:

sunrain
2004-08-18, 18:31
favorite Apple peripheral... does that include displays?

My little displays (http://forums.applenova.com/showthread.php?p=23124#post23114), it's my window to the world!

:lol:

Well, considering the fact that they probably cover your 'peripheral' vision, um yes. Damn, boy.

psmith2.0
2004-08-18, 19:15
I know the cool, expected thing to say is "iPod" ( ;) ), but in all honesty I gotta go with AirPort. Maybe because I do indeed use it every single day, whereas the iPod can sit for days and days without being touched (although when I want it, I'm so glad it's there).

I love 'em both, but AirPort contributes and makes its mark on me on a daily basis. In fact, I'm slouched across the couch right now, nowhere NEAR my desk/room! I couldn't be this comfortable and slouchy without AirPort!

:)

I could be outside on the porch, if I wanted, or lying across my bed or in the frontyard swing. Now THAT'S freedom!

Yes, the iPod would be second.

;)

W. Gallagher
2004-08-18, 19:18
Ok, even though I just received the "new" iSight today, the 1.8G5 is Fed-Ex tomorrow, so if I can vote w/it still in the box, it will be iSight.
Bought because my son & daughter-in-law are moving from Chicago to Japan, and we hope to be able to use it internationally. Both of us will be on hi-speed, lines, so will see if it's worth the investment.
If anybody else has any experience w/iSight internationally, I would like to know, either way, good or bad :\

hype.it
2004-08-18, 19:19
We can have a second?

Then.... erm... well... iSight maybe?

psmith2.0
2004-08-18, 19:33
Ok, even though I just received the "new" iSight today, the 1.8G5 is Fed-Ex tomorrow, so if I can vote w/it still in the box, it will be iSight.
Bought because my son & daughter-in-law are moving from Chicago to Japan, and we hope to be able to use it internationally. Both of us will be on hi-speed, lines, so will see if it's worth the investment.
If anybody else has any experience w/iSight internationally, I would like to know, either way, good or bad :\

Hi! I personally haven't had any international experience using iChat/iSigh, but several buddies have and they've praised it up and down. I don't know the particulars (connections type and all), but they love that they can SEE the person they're missing, in real time, and save lots of money on phone bills!

Also, there was a neat column by David Pogue 6-12 months ago where he wrote about attending some Mac conference in London (I think it was London) and how he went into a coffee shop and ending up using an iSight to talk to - and see - his wife and kid, back home in the States. The way he wrote about the experience just made you smile and go "yeah...that's cool".

It was just an interesting, jargon-free column that was kinda sweet and made you realize "wow, this neat-looking crap CAN make a difference! Thank you, Apple!"

I'm sure that article is still out there on the Internet somewhere, waiting to be Googled and read!

;)

EDIT: isn't Google just the best? (http://www.nytimes.com/2003/12/04/technology/circuits/04POGUE-EMAIL.html?ex=1092974400&en=7850550ae31494a1&ei=5070) Enjoy...

Purgatos
2004-08-18, 20:57
Ze iPod.

I don't know how I'd live without it.

I really don't.

Kickaha
2004-08-18, 21:01

Well, my techno-Luddite mother managed to set up her PowerBook with iChat and the iSight all on her own from a hotel room in Zhuhai, China, and shocked the hell out of me one day with a video chat request. It worked great.

W. Gallagher
2004-08-18, 21:03
That is soooo... cool. Read the article and can't wait to report.
I didn't mention that were expecting our 1'st grandchild in November, so until we can visit them in the Spring, this will have to do.
Mac, and you guy's rule! & - thanks for the posts.

chipz
2004-08-18, 22:57
My iPod! No more radio for me (they no longer play my music anyway). I love the sounds of the big band and pop ,usic into the early 60's. You can't find that on radio these days. Call me a relic or whatever, but give me my music!

senecaripple
2005-08-03, 19:28
ipod and digital cameras, hp and sony.

The Return of the 'nut
2005-08-03, 19:40
My Apple Quicktake 200. Loved that camera.

torifile
2005-08-03, 20:18
I know the cool, expected thing to say is "iPod" ( ;) ), but in all honesty I gotta go with AirPort. Maybe because I do indeed use it every single day, whereas the iPod can sit for days and days without being touched (although when I want it, I'm so glad it's there).

I love 'em both, but AirPort contributes and makes its mark on me on a daily basis. In fact, I'm slouched across the couch right now, nowhere NEAR my desk/room! I couldn't be this comfortable and slouchy without AirPort!

I could be outside on the porch, if I wanted, or lying across my bed or in the frontyard swing. Now THAT'S freedom!

Yes, the iPod would be second.

;)
I was going to say the exact same thing in half the words! ;) Well done, scates! To keep bandwidth usage down (http://forums.applenova.com/showthread.php?postid=217349#post217349), I'm just going to have you say it for me! ;)

Kickaha
2005-08-03, 20:23
My Apple Quicktake 200. Loved that camera.

Would you believe that not only do I still have mine, it is still my only digital camera?

BarracksSi
2005-08-03, 20:33
I've been thinking the same thing. It's not just any 802.11 device, but it's done so danged well that I can't imaging not having it with a laptop.

Brad
2005-08-03, 21:11
iPod? Pfft. Please.

Apple Pro Keyboard

The original black one. It kicked the previous skinny keyboard's ass and it is still superior to the current Apple keyboards.

The original black Pro Mouse gets an honorable mention.

Frankly, I'm amazed that you guys mentioned AirPort. Minus the UFO look, it's a pretty mediocre/average router. :confused:

onlyafterdark
2005-08-03, 21:11
iPod and Airport for sure. Like others have stated above, its the only ones I use on a regular basis and would hate to be without.

The iSight is third followed by the BT keyboard.

Maybe its just my PB, but my keyboard is so hit and miss its not funny. Sometimes it works flawlessly, and others it ccccccoooooonnnnnnttttttiiiiiinnnnnnuuuuuueeeeeees sssss to lag. Oh well.

Yontsey
2005-08-03, 21:30
i agree with sunrain, im in the same boat with me and my girlfriend. i live in cleveland and shes in cincy, we visit couple times a month when we can but the isight makes our lives easier. i have a verizon share plan with some people in my company and she has cincinnati bell which is equivilant to cingular i think so i bought her a phone and put her on my share plan and she just uses the phone as a private line for us and it doesnt use any of our minutes, prolly best investment i ever made cuz i was always rackin up like $200-300 cellphone bills each money now i never go over.

torifile
2005-08-03, 22:02
Frankly, I'm amazed that you guys mentioned AirPort. Minus the UFO look, it's a pretty mediocre/average router. :confused:
Bzzzzt! Wrong! ;) At the time I bought it, it was one of the only ones with a modem. That was the only reason I bought it (I didn't have broadband back then). Since then, it's been nearly 3 years of trouble free usage. Well, I got it replaced under applecare that I bought for my wife's iBook. (!) I love it and the service behind it. That's the difference.

edit: added a smilie so I don't come across like an asshole. ;)

atomicbartbeans
2005-08-03, 23:25
My favorite peripheral is my low-end but reliable Fuji A205 camera. :)

sunrain
2005-08-03, 23:39
i agree with sunrain, im in the same boat with me and my girlfriend. i live in cleveland and shes in cincy, we visit couple times a month when we can but the isight makes our lives easier. i have a verizon share plan with some people in my company and she has cincinnati bell which is equivilant to cingular i think so i bought her a phone and put her on my share plan and she just uses the phone as a private line for us and it doesnt use any of our minutes, prolly best investment i ever made cuz i was always rackin up like $200-300 cellphone bills each money now i never go over.
Of course what I said no longer applies. But then, I did start this thread a year ago. :) She's now my fiancée and is sleeping in the next room. No real need for my iSight unless one of us is traveling.

Let's see...new favorite peripheral pick... I'd have to go with the Airport Express, it's so handy and portable. With WAP, print serving, and AirTunes functions, it's my swiss army knife of computing. I've got three. :D

sunrain
2005-08-03, 23:40
My favorite peripheral is my low-end but reliable Fuji A205 camera. :)
What is your favorite Apple peripheral?

Wrao
2005-08-03, 23:46
iPod? Pfft. Please.

Apple Pro Keyboard

The original black one. It kicked the previous skinny keyboard's ass and it is still superior to the current Apple keyboards.

One of the best keyboards I've ever used. Certainly the best desktop keyboard(though there was a nice logitech I use once that gets honorable mention) My new iMac has the slim model, and it's a decent keyboard, definitely, and I like how small the footprint is, but ultimately, it's not nearly as comfortable as the original black pro keyboard was.

My only gripe with that keyboard was that late at night, it could be really hard to see the keys by just the light of my old CRT iMac.

Wrao
2005-08-03, 23:48
I really like my iSight but I rarely use it. When I do though it's always a blast.

I love my iPod, use it everyday in the car.

I really like the white pro mouse, even more than the black one(I'm not sure if they actually changed anything, but somehow I dig the white one more)

I also really like the USB 2.0+Firewire split cable I have for my iPod, it's useful.

Airport Express has been working really well as a router/signal repeater, but I still haven't gotten the appropriate cable to hook it up to my stereo... and just as I typed that I realized that I have a long enough one in the closet d'oh!

mynamehere
2005-08-04, 00:19
Well, my techno-Luddite mother managed to set up her PowerBook with iChat and the iSight all on her own from a hotel room in Zhuhai, China, and shocked the hell out of me one day with a video chat request. It worked great.

...then she REALLY surprised you by telling you that you were actually the mailman's child.;)

j/k...I couldn't resist

BlueRabbit
2005-08-04, 00:47
I agree with Brad, the original black Apple keyboard & mouse are amazing. The keyboard still doesn't match up to the Apple Extended Keyboard (http://www.farclip.com/hardware/images/Apple_ExtendedKeyboardII-M3501.jpg), though. That thing, although huge, was absolutely amazing. I need to get a USB-ADB adaptor so I can use mine.

Some other Apple peripherals I use are a pair of Mac IIci's (as seen here (http://home.earthlink.net/~blue_rabbit53295/compsetup.jpg)) that are a table for my PB. Very useful, although that probably wasn't their original purpose. ;)

sirnick4
2005-08-04, 00:51
I love my iPod! Next, I would have to say my Airport Express.

I really REALLY want an iSight to use with Delicious Library. That would be sweet :)

Kickaha
2005-08-04, 00:51
...then she REALLY surprised you by telling you that you were actually the mailman's child.;)

j/k...I couldn't resist

Naw, that's my brother. I was the son of the fishmonger who lived downstairs.

No really, it's a long standing joke in the family... :D

Mom: brown hair. Dad: black hair. Bro and I: red hair. When I was conceived, they had a red-haired fishmonger who lived below them in Germany, and when my brother was conceived, a red-haired milkman.

It's only the fact that both grandfathers had red hair that saved the family honor. :D

Um... iPod. AirPort is great, but it sucks my time. :p

rasmits
2005-08-04, 01:35
Quicktake (http://www.epi-centre.com/reports/9403cdi.html) camera, hands down. :lol:

Or maybe the PowerCD (http://www.429bauhaus.no-ip.com/Apple/apple_powercd.html), no... probably the Powerbop (http://www.aventure-apple.com/flops/powerbop.html)

edit: Forgot the Paladin (http://www.theapplecollection.com/design/macproto/Paladin.html)! Can't live without that...

Franz Josef
2005-08-04, 01:44
A good revival of an old thread :)

My vote would go to Airport Express and to iSight in that order. Both are first rate for travelling - small, light - (iSight has its small perspex travelling cylinder) and show the attention to detail which makes Apple great.

What is consistently good is how well Apple packages its peripherals and how easily they install. I just bought a BT keyboard and mouse (the day Mighty Mouse was introduced) and it struck me that my mother (no tech fiend she) could have unpacked and had them up and running in minutes without a hitch.

By comparison, even well seasoned companies like Sony are not nearly as user friendly with their products.

CitizenTony
2005-08-04, 09:27
Agreed with the Pro black keyboard. I use it for all of my computers, and have yet to find a keyboard that I like better. Some of the new, full sized, scissor type keyboards are starting to look nice though.

Next would be the iPod Mini. I've been trying to talk myself out of getting one for a while now, but I don't see being able to hold out much longer.

atomicbartbeans
2005-08-04, 10:23
What is your favorite Apple peripheral?
Oh... Silver iPod Mini. After that is the StyleWriter 2400. Not as fast as they come, but the most reliable printer I've ever owned. :D

http://images.apple.com/jp/datasheet/printer/images/c-sw2400.gif

Koodari
2005-08-04, 12:00
On my 2nd Mac now (3rd in the family), and we have never owned a single Apple peripheral. :)

I might buy an Airport Express. I'm hoping for them to upgrade it or drop the price a little, though.

nomorewindows
2005-08-04, 12:55
Airport Express, then my iPod. I love being able to sit outside on my deck and work, cold adult beverage in hand. :cool:

Luca
2005-08-04, 13:09
Still haven't found an Apple peripheral I'm totally happy with. My iPod was fine (other than the schizophrenic battery meter), until recently when it began freezing my computer the moment I daisy-chained it to my computer through my Firewire drive. I'm still trying to figure out whether it's a problem with the iPod, the external hard drive, the enclosure, or the files themselves. I don't think it's the iPod but it's still kind of sullied my experience since the software isn't properly designed to handle this kind of thing and forces me to hard-shutdown and restart my computer (even though it'll allow me to continue using applications outside of Finder).

My Apple keyboard is disappointing and will be replaced with a MacAlly iceKey very soon. My speakers and mouse are both made by Logitech, with Apple not really offering anything competitive in those areas. Same with my display... it's a wonderful Acer 17" LCD that cost me under $250. Apple's displays are good but not worth the huge expense. Besides, I can't even really afford a Dell 20" display, and Apple doesn't make a 17" LCD anymore, so they really weren't an option at all.

Oh, and the Apple earbuds that came with my iPod (it's an older 3G 15 GB one) are pretty bad, as are all Apple earbuds. I bought Koss clip-ons to replace them and for $18 it was well worth it.

Wireless access in my house is provided by my DSL modem/router. Even if I needed to add wireless to the network myself, I'd never even consider Apple's overpriced, underperforming products.

kaseyha
2005-08-04, 13:10
If I had an iSight it would probably be my favorite, but I have to say that my Apple Pro keyboard is my favorite right now.

When I dumped a can of sparkling water into the original one I pretty much flipped out. I had to replace it with another, identical, black Pro keyboard. It is the only peripheral I can think of that when it died I had to find an exact duplicate to replace it with.

DMBand0026
2005-08-05, 00:33
I've been looking into the iSight, seems really cool. Although I'm having trouble justifying the cost, as there aren't a lot of people that I know that have them. And even if I had one, I don't know how often I'd video conference, heck, I don't even like iChat.

And Luca, the IceKey is incredible. I've had it for about 10 months now and other than the PowerBook keyboard and maybe the old Apple Extended keyboard, it's the best I've ever used. The old black ProKeyboards don't hold a candle, not even close. Typing on this thing is a dream.

Wrao
2005-08-05, 03:25
If I had an iSight it would probably be my favorite, but I have to say that my Apple Pro keyboard is my favorite right now.

When I dumped a can of sparkling water into the original one I pretty much flipped out. I had to replace it with another, identical, black Pro keyboard. It is the only peripheral I can think of that when it died I had to find an exact duplicate to replace it with.

I lucked out, spilled coke in mine, my brother had a spare.

kaseyha
2005-08-05, 12:37
I even tried taking it apart and cleaning it first. I wiped it down with alcohol and even tried rebuilding some of the printed circuits. I never could get the space bar to work 100%, so I had to buy a new one on eBay. Oh well, love the keyboard!

Sauvblanc
2005-08-09, 00:34
For me iSight by far and away. I'm deaf, but can talk and read lips and I'm in a long distance relationship with a hearing person. Until iSight came along, we had been relying on Messenger which is OK but it's not the same as a real conversation.

The iSight's resolution is such that I can actually lipread my fiancee. It's the only way I can have a direct person-to-person conversation with someone who is not physically in the room with me. Blew me away when I first tried it. It saved our relationship. Kind of hard to elaborate what it means to me unless you've been in my shoes, but I'm sure the point's been made. And as the first poster said, it has the added advantage of allowing you to see one another, which is wonderful.

DMBand0026
2005-08-09, 01:20
Wow. That's beautiful dude. Makes me realize how much I take for granted picking up the phone and talking to someone. Glad things worked out for you. Just another reason to love Apple :)

Franz Josef
2005-08-09, 01:25
The iSight's resolution is such that I can actually lipread my fiancee. It's the only way I can have a direct person-to-person conversation with someone who is not physically in the room with me.

That is very good to hear indeed Sauvblanc :) . If you didn't mind the publicity that's exactly the sort of story you should share with Apple for use on the Apple site. The Mac was designed by a guy called Jef Raskin (who recently passed away) who fervently believed that technology should make users' lives easier and yours is the best example I've heard. :)

sunrain
2005-08-09, 01:33
Great story. There was someone in another thread complaining about the price of the iSight, saying it was "way overpriced", but I think your story shows the iSight's quality and value. Of course, when I've used the iSight and I was away from my girlfriend, I was enjoying the resolution of the camera for *other* reasons. :)

Franz Josef
2005-08-09, 01:35
I was enjoying the resolution of the camera for *other* reasons. :)
:lol: Don't share that with Apple, there are other websites for that :D

DMBand0026
2005-08-09, 01:38
Wow...I need an iSight...nay! Two iSights! Holy crap, the holy grail of computing has come to pass, and it's been out for years and I didn't even realize it.

Oh, so many wasted nights. I need to find some money, and fast.

Edit: The iSight is overpriced, drop $50 off the price and Apple may have sold itself a few more of those things. However, a revision might be nice as well. Make it worth my $149 and than I may go for it.

sunrain
2005-08-09, 01:41
:lol: Don't share that with Apple, there are other websites for that :D
I've only my memories to reflect on. :D

Right, okay! Let's get this thread back on track. (since it's mine) So...does anyone see the Mighty Mouse becoming one of their favorite new peripherals?

DMBand0026
2005-08-09, 01:45
Maybe it would be if it actually shipped the day it was supposed to. I ordered it last Tuesday when it came out and here I am the following Tuesday, it just shipped. When I ordered it said "ships same business day" than they pushed it back two days, than they pushed it back a week, I'm just a little frustrated. Although now it's supposed to be delivered on my birthday. Happy birthday to me...even though I bought it myself, haha. However, I'm not anticipating any presents from any family or friends, so I guess it'll be nice to get something.

And really, if Apple would revise the iSight, maybe up the resolution or add some features of some kind (what kind of features can you add to a web cam?), and drop the price a bit, I'd bite.

sunrain
2005-08-09, 01:46
Holy crap, the holy grail of computing has come to pass, and it's been out for years and I didn't even realize it.
You have no idea. I can only imagine how much better it would work with the new codec.

Although, I've tried out an iSight conference with the new codec and the picture blurs a bit when iChat is conserving bandwidth on a connection. Two hefty connections are definitely in order. :D

sunrain
2005-08-09, 01:48
Aren't you near an Apple Store in Chicago? There are shit-tons of Mighty Mice sitting on the shelves here in Kansas City. Head on down and pick one up!

DMBand0026
2005-08-09, 01:51
You have no idea. I can only imagine how much better it would work with the new codec.

Although, I've tried out an iSight conference with the new codec and the picture blurs a bit when iChat is conserving bandwidth on a connection. Two hefty connections are definitely in order. :D

Right, two hefty connections, that's exactly what I was thinking too. ;)

I do live right near an Apple Store, but I ordered it online anyway, which I'm realizing now was pretty stupid. However, I expect that they flew off the shelves as most people reported. That, and I wanted the student discount and I don't have a student ID right now...although I am a student...long story.

rasmits
2005-08-09, 02:00
Edit: The iSight is overpriced, drop $50 off the price and Apple may have sold itself a few more of those things. However, a revision might be nice as well. Make it worth my $149 and than I may go for it.I agree, it's way too expensive, but what else is new.

You can use any DV camcorder as an "iSight" with equal quality, and for $149 you can almost get one. And it'll record video on tape too!

DMBand0026
2005-08-09, 02:06
Yeah, I know that, I have a DV camera that I occasionally use. But I have a pretty elaborate setup of gear because I do some film work, so it's nice not to have to pack and unpack all that stuff every time I want to use the camera.

Sauvblanc
2005-08-09, 21:57
If you didn't mind the publicity that's exactly the sort of story you should share with Apple for use on the Apple site.

Actually, there was story that appeared on the Apple website about deaf people using sign language with iSights. So figured that we'd learn lots of sign language and fast. Really had no idea just how good it was until first time we used it and TALKED to each other.

I did contact Apple directly to let them know of this...but probably got lost in the thousands of e-mails they get each day. But every time we chat I say a little thank you to Apple. :)

shatteringglass
2005-08-09, 22:58
That's such a sweet story.

Here's hoping that Apple runs your story. The fact that it saved your relationship is testament enough that good technology can improve the lives of countless people around the world.

sirnick4
2005-08-09, 23:22
That really is a cool story.

I'm glad everything worked out :)

Wrao
2005-08-10, 01:13
Edit: The iSight is overpriced, drop $50 off the price and Apple may have sold itself a few more of those things. However, a revision might be nice as well. Make it worth my $149 and than I may go for it.

What apple needs to do is sell 2 iSights at a discount rate. Honestly, sooooo many people would buy them 2 at a time, one for them one for their girlfriend(or boyfriend) If a box of 2 iSights cost $210 or even $200, then it'd be so worth it.

Heck, even a 4-pack(family pack) would probably sell very well. I have 2 siblings with iBooks and 1 with a powerbook, If we all had iSights, that'd be rad!

DMBand0026
2005-08-10, 10:18
An $199 two pack of iSights would be really awesome. I'd be all over that. I have a feeling it'll never happen, but it would be nice. At least do bundle pricing though. If you don't want to put more than one in each box, at least knock a little of the price if you buy more than one.