PDA

View Full Version : Extending Airport Range

Ryan
2004-08-18, 15:39
Right now, I've got an Airport Extreme basestation, but not the one with the antenna port. So I'd like to know what my options are for extending the range. Right now it has trouble reaching my living room from my bedroom(where the station is).

I get about 35% signal in my living room, which isn't enough for a stable connection. I was wondering if I bought an Airport Express, and use it with WDS, will it work with only 35% signal? Does it boost it enough to reach a stronger signal? I thought maybe because the Powerbook ran on battery, it didn't quite get as far. I really don't know much about WiFi, so any help is appreciated.

Paul
2004-08-18, 18:10
if you have an extreme base station you can extend your range with an express...
take a look at the paragraph near the bottom of this page: http://www.apple.com/airportexpress/

Ryan
2004-08-18, 19:50
if you have an extreme base station you can extend your range with an express...
take a look at the paragraph near the bottom of this page: http://www.apple.com/airportexpress/

Thanks, I know that part. But my question is will it get a stable connection if its in the same location where my Powerbook only gets 35%, and can't stay connected.

I actually plan on getting an Express anyways for the audio.

Paul
2004-08-18, 20:32
it should... you have an Al or Ti Book?
plus you should be able to position it in such a way to get an optimal signal if you buy the "extension cable" but I doubt that will be necessary...

Ryan
2004-08-18, 22:37
AlBook 12in. Rev A.

alcimedes
2004-08-18, 22:43
then you'll be just fine. the AI books had mediocre range at best.

ast3r3x
2004-08-18, 22:56
That's odd, I normally get about 7 or 8 bars in Internet Connect, but I am still able to download at 320KiB. I can make it probably almost 100 yards going through a wall or window, and have it still connected (if not every so slightly...almost failing...sometimes it does)

FFL
2004-08-18, 23:55
The Airport Express has much better range than PowerBooks, so you should be fine. Worst case is that you move it one room away from the living room, closer to the Main Base Station.