PDA

View Full Version : Cell Phone Advice

World Leader Pretend
2006-03-06, 20:53
Ok, I know that this is an Apple forum, but I would appreciate if you guys gave your opinions on cell phones. Here are my requirements:

Carrier:
Alltel (number 1 choice)
Sprint
T-Mobile

Phone stuff:
Camera
Thin and cool design
no "stub" antenna
Between 0 and $200s

I would like to hear your personal opinions about phones that you have or would recomend to others.

Thanks!

DMBand0026
2006-03-06, 21:17
Search (http://forums.applenova.com/search.php?searchid=358541). There's no less than 10 recent threads about this.

However, since I'm a nice guy, I'll give you a few recommendations. Alltel seems to be a carrier that is available in limited areas, that said, in the Phoenix Metro area it is second only to Verizon in terms of overall service, dropped calls, and customer satisfaction. T-Mobile and Sprint are decidedly middle of the road, never higher than 2nd overall, sometimes even at the bottom of the list of 5 or 6 major carriers in a major metro area.

According to Consumer Reports (http://www.consumerreports.org), your best bet is to go with Verizon if you like good service, overall customer satisfaction, and good customer service. I've been a Verizon customer for years and I'm 100% satisfied with them. Incredible reception pretty much everywhere, zero dropped calls, very little static, top notch customer service. In fact, Verizon lead in every major market except one (out of 18 markets) in satisfaction, reception, dropped calls, static, and full circuits.

As far as actual phones go, check out PhoneScoop (http://www.phonescoop.com). They have ratings and reviews on pretty much every cell phone out there today. They also have a phone finder section where you can enter in your requirements and it will give you a list of phones that meet your requirements.

World Leader Pretend
2006-03-06, 21:38
Thanks, I guess I was searching the wrong forum. :)

I live in Kansas and it doesn't get Verizon service where I live, or at least the website claims that they don't cover my zip code.

Yontsey
2007-01-02, 00:32
I didnt want to start a new cell phone thread so I figured Id just piggy back off of this one.

I have Verizon service. Granted the phones suck, but the service is the best around me. Im thinking about getting a new phone because I figured if/when Apple releases a cell phone, it wont be available on Verizon. I was looking at this (http://www.verizonwireless.com:80/b2c/store/controller?item=phoneFirst&action=viewPhoneDetail&selectedPhoneId=2694) phone.

Has anyone used this one yet or have any comments? It seems like my best alternative to have a sidekick 3 on Verizon.

Edit: well the link isnt working. the phone is the new LG enV

Yontsey
2007-01-16, 03:06
Ok, well Im stuck with Verizon for a lil while, but I have an offer for a new phone. Im debating between the enV, the Motorola Q, or a Blackberry of somesort. Im hoping someone can offer some suggetions and help me out here.

Which would you go with?

Anyone have any experience with these phones?

Robo
2007-01-16, 04:12
I think you should cross your fingers and hope that Verizon will bring LG's KE850 to the States as their answer to the iPhone.

That, or dump Verizon.

turtle
2007-01-16, 11:58
You aren't going to have to stick with Verizon after March 1st. Seems they are rewriting the rates and it's enough to allow you to break the leave without ETF. One of the threads had info into, I just don't recall where it is.

Yontsey
2007-01-16, 13:22
You aren't going to have to stick with Verizon after March 1st. Seems they are rewriting the rates and it's enough to allow you to break the leave without ETF. One of the threads had info into, I just don't recall where it is.

Right, but I also posted on that posted too and explained why that is basically false information, at least according to the Verizon Rep that called me. The link youre referring too is at the top of page 3 (http://forums.applenova.com/showthread.php?t=21781&page=3). I have several responses under if that refer to my situation and dealings/findings yesterday.

Basically in a nut shell, fuck Verizon.

Wyatt
2007-01-16, 13:28
IIRC, their contracts actually explicitly state that they are allowed to change minor fees any time they want (text messaging qualifies as a minor fee). The only thing they can't change is your monthly service charge.

By signing your contract, you basically say that it's cool if they change the fees you pay. The only thing they guarantee is your monthly service rate. This isn't just a Verizon thing, though. All the carriers I've sold for (Verizon, Cingular, Sprint, and Nextel) have the same language in their contracts, I believe. (It's been a while, so some contract details are fuzzy now.)

Yontsey
2007-01-16, 13:29
I think you should cross your fingers and hope that Verizon will bring LG's KE850 to the States as their answer to the iPhone.

That, or dump Verizon.

I Googled that phone and it's pretty nice. You have any more information on it??? Im sure the price is going to be quite heavy. If there's a possibility for new/techy phones coming out for Verizon anytime soon, I would have no problem waiting a little bit to get something worth it. If Im going to be stuck with Verizon for the better part of 2 years, I might as well get a sweet phone.

turtle
2007-01-16, 15:50
See, that's what I get for posting based off of someone else's comments without actually looking into it. Oh well. I stand (sit actually) corrected.

Yontsey
2007-01-17, 11:47
Anyone have any personal experience with the Motorola Q? I may go up to the Verizon store and check them out today. Ive heard both good and bad things from online reviews.

torifile
2007-01-18, 09:13
Actually, turtle, you're right. You can get out of a Verizon contract because of the change to the SMS charges. The language isn't "minor changes" it's "materially adverse changes" and any change to rates is "materially adverse". You may get a CSR who won't let you, but they have to let you out. It may take some persistence but they don't have a leg to stand on. Search the consumerist.com for more information on this specific issue.

turtle
2007-01-18, 11:26
Actually, turtle, you're right. You can get out of a Verizon contract because of the change to the SMS charges. The language isn't "minor changes" it's "materially adverse changes" and any change to rates is "materially adverse". You may get a CSR who won't let you, but they have to let you out. It may take some persistence but they don't have a leg to stand on. Search the consumerist.com for more information on this specific issue.

Wow, great information torifile. Thanks. :)

Yontsey
2007-01-18, 13:57
I was over on digg and people were saying its nearly impossible to get them to cancel your contract. I would love to get them to cancel my contract, so I may hang off for a bit on the enV because I would much rather have a Sidekick because I like the phone better and its cheaper, but I want my number first and foremost.

You think if I went to a T-Mobile store and told them I wanted to switch, I could get them to pay the ETF in exchange for a 2 year agreement? Just a thought....

Yontsey
2007-01-18, 15:36
Interesting article I found over at digg.com (http://consumerist.com/consumer/cancellations/break-your-verizon-contract-without-fee-thanks-to-txt-msg-raise-228495.php)

Robo
2007-01-18, 18:34
I Googled that phone and it's pretty nice. You have any more information on it??? Im sure the price is going to be quite heavy. If there's a possibility for new/techy phones coming out for Verizon anytime soon, I would have no problem waiting a little bit to get something worth it. If Im going to be stuck with Verizon for the better part of 2 years, I might as well get a sweet phone.

The price is going to be quite heavy - it's actually Prada-branded. There's no word of a CDMA version thus far.

Verizon does have a good relationship with LG (what with the enV and Chocolate and all) so they might convince LG to make a CDMA version.

Or T-Mobile might try to grab it. It think it has the right bands, and T-Mobile loves the premium branded phones (See: D&G RAZR, Juicy Couture/LRG Sidekicks). And, of course, T-Mobile's going to want something to compete with the iPhone.

Partial
2007-01-19, 18:40
I would just get whatever cellphone comes free with the plan. It seems even the free phones fit your descriptions nowadays.

torifile
2007-01-20, 09:06
Something to check into if you're *really* hating your service is that some states require that things like ETFs be pro-rated depending on how much time you've got left on your contract. If you signed a 2 year deal and you've got 6 months left, you'll only have to pay 1/4 of the ETF in those states. Just check into it.