PDA

View Full Version : is it worth to buy a powerbook G4 1.33 Ghz

Sketch
2006-03-08, 09:16
hello ppl,

is it worth to buy a PB G4 1.33 Ghz with 768 MB ram (no DVD burner) now? cost approximately 1000 Euro (1 EUR = 1.20 USD)?

torifile
2006-03-08, 10:51
12" or 15"? Either way, not for that price.

shell
2006-03-08, 13:09
$1200 (U.S.)? A brand new iBook with similar or better specs will cost you less. Unless this one comes with all sorts of software I wouldn't go for it.

Luca
2006-03-08, 13:15
Well, except that the PowerBook has a 15" screen with a 1280x854 resolution, as well as DVI output with monitor spanning and clamshell mode. The graphics are better too (64 MB Radeon 9700 vs. 32 MB Radeon 9550). However, the 1.33 GHz 15" PowerBook did not have the 128 MB VRAM option, nor did it have an illuminated keyboard.

Still, this is definitely worth considering. If this is a 12", though, then it's a terrible deal.

bassplayinMacFiend
2006-03-08, 15:07
Well, except that the PowerBook has a 15" screen with a 1280x854 resolution, as well as DVI output with monitor spanning and clamshell mode. The graphics are better too (64 MB Radeon 9700 vs. 32 MB Radeon 9550). However, the 1.33 GHz 15" PowerBook did not have the 128 MB VRAM option, nor did it have an illuminated keyboard.

Still, this is definitely worth considering. If this is a 12", though, then it's a terrible deal.

That's not true. If my 1.25GHz 15" Aluminium PowerBook had the illuminated keyboard, the 1.33GHz model would definitely have the backlit keyboard as well.

Bryson
2006-03-08, 15:12
Incorrect. My girlfriend has a 1.33ghz 15" Powerbook, without illuminated keyboard. I think it was an option back then.

Luca
2006-03-08, 16:36
There have been 4 generations of 15" aluminum PowerBooks:

1.0 GHz/Combo, 1.25 GHz/Superdrive
1.33 GHz/Combo, 1.5 GHz/Superdrive
1.5 GHz/Combo, 1.67 GHz/Superdrive
1.67 GHz/Superdrive

For the first two generations, the backlit keyboard was only available as an option on the higher end model, as was the option to upgrade to 128 MB of VRAM from the standard 64 MB. The third generation made the extra VRAM and backlit keyboard standard on all models, and there were very few differences between the low end and high end PowerBooks (only a $300 price difference). The last revision eliminated the lower end 15" PowerBook altogether.

So, 1.0 and 1.33 GHz PowerBook G4s (15" versions, that is) have no illuminated keyboard and they weren't available with 128 MB of VRAM.

Sketch
2006-03-08, 16:41
just to give more information about the PB
it is PB G4 1.33 Ghz Aluminum 15"
768 MB RAM
ATI Radeon 9700 64 MB
DVD/CD-RW
No illuminated keyboard
Tiger 10.4.5 installed
Microsoft Package, Adobe Pro 7, Adobe CS pre-installed
No warranty but it is working perfectly (I tried it for like a month... one of my friends selling it)

so how about now?

Dorian Gray
2006-03-08, 16:53
To be honest, although computers are more expensive in Europe than the States, that's still not a very good deal. If the battery works okay and the screen is bright, it wouldn't be a total rip off, but you could probably find better in your local classified ads.

I know you may want to help out your friend by taking it off his/her hands, but equally, he/she should be offering you a special price because of the friendship. If I were you I'd say I can't afford that much for a computer (as opposed to the computer not being worth that) and see if you can get the price knocked down a couple of hundred euros.

(The software is all illegal and worthless unless you get the CDs and packaging. If you do, then of course that deal would be an absolute bargain.)

Luca
2006-03-08, 17:17
The fact that it has no warranty and is not eligible for AppleCare is enough that I would simply not buy it. Desktops can kind of do without AppleCare (though Apple's desktops have several components that can't be easily and cheaply replaced yourself), but laptops really need an extended warranty.

bassplayinMacFiend
2006-03-08, 19:23
Oops, my bad :o

Sketch
2006-03-09, 00:00
hmm... o.k. then i will try to drop down the price. do you think if could get it for like 800 would it be worth? because I can't buy a new one because it cost 2100 EUR here. so in Europe this is the cheaper it gets. Because i checked the ebay.de and damn this is cheap according to that.

How about this comp (this is windows :err: ):

Samsung X20-1730 Callia II
Pentium-M 740 1.73GHz • 1024MB (2x 512MB) • 80GB • DVD+/-RW DL • ATI Mobility Radeon X700 128MB • USB 2.0/FireWire/Modem/LAN/WLAN 802.11bg • 15" SXGA+ TFT (1400x1050) • Windows XP Home

for 1500 EUR. is this worth and it has 24 months warranty (it is new).

torifile
2006-03-09, 00:19
800 would probably be worth it. What exactly are you looking for in a computer? To jump between windows and OS X in your choices tells me you need decide that first.

Sketch
2006-03-09, 06:39
well i want to buy a faster laptop... for me it doesn't really concern the operating system as long as it worth for the money I pay. Another thing I just realize is that for Mac many software (specially in biosciences) are not compatible. so that cause some frustration most of the time. I have been using mac for like 2-3 years. i like the OS and everything very much but when it comes to software it is not the best and for the price you pay, you can buy a better laptop. So I am wondering although MacB Pro is really tempting, I don't have money to buy it. So the mac PB which i asked and the samsung is the choices i am left with. So now what do you guys say? or if you have suggestion, then by all means please do let me know. thanks

beardedmacuser
2006-03-09, 07:54
well i want to buy a faster laptop... for me it doesn't really concern the operating system as long as it worth for the money I pay. Another thing I just realize is that for Mac many software (specially in biosciences) are not compatible. so that cause some frustration most of the time. I have been using mac for like 2-3 years. i like the OS and everything very much but when it comes to software it is not the best and for the price you pay, you can buy a better laptop. So I am wondering although MacB Pro is really tempting, I don't have money to buy it. So the mac PB which i asked and the samsung is the choices i am left with. So now what do you guys say? or if you have suggestion, then by all means please do let me know. thanks

Working in biosciences too, I find myself needing to use Windows apps less and less nowadays. There's the odd piece of Windows software for proprietary hardware and proprietary file formats I have to use, but when it comes to getting work done at my desk I can get 99% of my writing, analysis and planning done with a combination of Matlab, Graphpad Prism, Excel, CS 2, Endnote and LyX. On the rare occasions there's something I can't do with those apps then Microsoft's Remote Desktop Connection will hook me up to a Windows box sitting under my desk.

But you'll probably never find one platform which will cover all your needs. There will be some Windows apps you need to use, and there will be times when using a Mac will be the most efficient means to do your work. My advice? Buy an Apple laptop and use Remote Desktop Connection to a Windows machine when you have to run a Windows app. (Unless all the apps you're wanting to use are Windows, then just buy a Dell POS and put up with it. The hardware should be the last consideration;

figure-out your computing needs;
find the applications which will meet those needs;
choose the OS that will run most of those apps;
buy the hardware that'll run that OS and your apps acceptably.)

Sorry, much longer post than I had intended.

Sketch
2006-03-09, 08:55
well thanks for the reply. well i guess I am now stuck between the Windows world and the Mac world... and this is worst world.