PDA

View Full Version : Mini: 512MB enough?

Oskar
2006-03-10, 18:41
Greetings! I'd like to use a mac mini for ruby programming. Also, I'd like to put Mac OSX Server on it eventually as an experimental web server (not for hosting publically-viewable sites). Is it okay sticking with the 512MB RAM that comes standard?

I don't plan to play games or do any photoshopping. My only concern is it won't run OSX Server well without some RAM muscle. Please let me know.

Oskar

torifile
2006-03-10, 22:20
Why do you need OS X server? You know that OS X client can host a web server just fine, right? Chances are you don't need server at all to do anything.

Oh, and 512 megs of RAM is never enough. :p Get more if you can. Always.

WrestleEwe
2006-03-10, 22:45
Isn't it time for a "512MB is minimum for OSX, buy extra memory separate and not from the Apple store" sticky thread in this forum?

I mean, I really enjoy reading AN, it's filled with people who know everything and are willing to share that info and I try to give advice whenever I can as well, but I feel like I see the above question in some form or another at least 10 times a month...

anyway, that's my rant for today I guess... Just don't take it too serious, ok?

Franz Josef
2006-03-11, 02:49
Oh, and 512 megs of RAM is never enough. :p Get more if you can. Always.What tor said.

Oskar
2006-03-11, 13:59
Why do you need OS X server? You know that OS X client can host a web server just fine, right? Chances are you don't need server at all to do anything.

Yes, I know the client version can act as a web server, but I'd like to get to know the ins and outs of OSX Server as I plan on using Xserves later on.

[...] but I feel like I see the above question in some form or another at least 10 times a month...
Really? You mean I'm not the only person planning on putting OSX Server on a mini and asking how much RAM it takes? Because that was my question, not the generic "how much RAM is good enough." I've never used OSX Server, so I don't know what it takes to run it.

Banana
2006-03-11, 14:27
It probably would be a different story if you had titled the thread "512MB enough for OS X server?" We'll all learn.

Besides to answer your question-

Hardware Requirements:

* Xserve or Xserve G5, Power Mac G5, Power Mac G4 and Macintosh Server G4, Power Macintosh G3 (Blue & White) and Macintosh Server G3 (Blue & White), iMac and iMac G5, eMac and Mac mini computer
* 256MB of RAM, at least 512MB of RAM for high-demand servers running multiple services
* Built-in FireWire
* 4GB of available disk space

To me, if you're going to be playing with server *and* using it for your daily tasks, I'd say you need a minimum of 768 MB; 1 GB is better- 512 MB for the server, 256 for all other programs to run.

How are you going to get the server? they sell for 10 licenses at $499 minimum.... Just wondering.

Oskar
2006-03-11, 14:49
It probably would be a different story if you had titled the thread "512MB enough for OS X server?" We'll all learn.
Agreed, sorry about that.

How are you going to get the server? they sell for 10 licenses at $499 minimum.... Just wondering.
Why, buy it of course! :-) I actually am uncertain what I'll do, but even if I buy the $500 software plus $600-$800 mac mini, it's still much cheaper than buying a single Xserve to learn OSX Server on. Wish there was another way...

Banana
2006-03-11, 14:59
The reason I asked is because 1) I'm not sure how one learns how to use servers without a network of computers lying around 2) seems to me that it's good idea to volunteer/intern/work in a IT dept to learn that sort of stuff; you can only go far with only one computer.

At least make sure to check out other options; for all I know, maybe Apple gives out a free training package to anyone who wants to learn the stuff?

Kraetos
2006-03-16, 19:15

You know I feel like sometimes people buy more RAM then they need. I have a 2.5 year old PowerBook G4 with only 768 MB of RAM. I do a good deal of photoshop and dreamweaver (latest versions) work and while, yeah, it definitly COULD be a lot faster, it gets the job done. Well. This is on top of running OS X, Adium, Mail, iTunes, and Safari in the background.

I pull up istat nano and its clear that I am pushing it to the limit, but if you took Photoshop and Dreamweaver out of the mix, it would probably run at 512 just fine. If you were the basic user (i.e. the mini audience) I bet you could get along with 256. Well... you could if it didn't have integrated graphics. But even with integrated grahpics, 512 should be fine. Just don't open up photoshop.

Just my two cents.

[EDIT] Sorry, should've kept reading that this was an OS X server specific question. For that, I have no idea. I bet you would need a gig though.