PDA

View Full Version : Email Question

section8joe
2006-03-13, 20:23
I'm looking for a cheap stable email account(pop or imap). I was looking at spymac but it seems like their servers are not that stable. Can someone point me to a good cheap email server where i can set up an account?

Ryan
2006-03-13, 20:36
Why not use Gmail? You can PM me for an invitation if you need one. It gives you, last time I logged in, 2.6 gigabytes of free space, a great webmail interface with POP access and pretty good spam filtering.

section8joe
2006-03-13, 21:06
i use gmail too but when i try to send email to myself to back up stuff, gmail won't let me send email to myself for somereason.

ironlung
2006-03-14, 08:50
i use gmail too but when i try to send email to myself to back up stuff, gmail won't let me send email to myself for somereason.
I send emails to myself using gmail all the time. Gmail also puts "me" in the from whom line to make it convenient to identify emails you sent to yourself

bostongeek
2006-03-14, 09:19

This might have to do with the type of attachments you are trying to send. Gmail has (fairly) recently instituted a filter that blocks the ability to send certain file-types.

As a security measure to prevent potential viruses, Gmail does not allow users to receive executable files (such as files ending in .exe) that could contain damaging executable code.
Gmail does not accept these types of files, even if they are sent in a zipped (.zip, .tar, .tgz, .taz, .z, .gz) format. Any message of this type sent to your Gmail account will be bounced back to the sender.
Gmail allows you to send and receive zipped attachments, as long as they don't contain executable (.exe) files. Gmail rejects all executable files as a security measure to block potential viruses.

ironlung
2006-03-15, 00:21
you can get around the .exe problem i think by changing the extension just for emailing purposes