PDA

View Full Version : office for MBP

tacvbo83
2006-03-17, 12:26
Will this version work with the MBP:

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/products/office2004/howtobuy/howtobuy.aspx?pid=howtobuy

Microsoft Office 2004 Professional w/VPC

it is the only one left at the bookstore for $18 and they will not have standard editions anymore, it says that it includes VPC which I do not need(and cant run on MBP of course)

can Office 2004 Pro be installed without the VPC crap?!?!

nevermind, I just talked to microsoft and was told NO, only standard edition...screw them im "getting it for free"

Brad
2006-03-17, 12:41
Uhh... the inclusion of VPC is what makes it "Pro." The "Standard" edition is the same thing, only without VPC.

For that matter, the "Student and Teacher" edition is identical to them as well, the only difference being that you should qualify as a student or teacher to buy it.

julesstoop
2006-03-17, 12:48
tacvbo83, besides the inclusion of VPC, the actual applications are identical.
This means you don't have to use VPC, it (the pro version) just gives you the possiblity to install and use it if you choose to do so.

tacvbo83
2006-03-17, 14:07
tacvbo83, besides the inclusion of VPC, the actual applications are identical.
This means you don't have to use VPC, it (the pro version) just gives you the possiblity to install and use it if you choose to do so.

are you 100% positive on this? I really do not want to pay $150 for the student/teacher version at the regular store.

torifile
2006-03-17, 14:38
Yes. Office 2004 is a standalone mac product. And you can't go wrong for $18!

tacvbo83
2006-03-17, 14:47
That is great news. I shall go in a bit and buy it. Now the bad news is that my MBP has a "dead pixel". I really do not know what the exact term is but I think I have heard the dead pixel thing from someone. I will call AppleCare ASAP to see whats up with that. It is not too noticable but hey, $2900 spent to get it like that, NO WAY!

Maciej
2006-03-17, 15:03
Try massaging the pixel, lightly - nothing too hard. Sometimes it pops back, if its just stuck not dead, but its worht a try.

What exactly does the pixel look like, white, black?

torifile
2006-03-17, 15:40
That is great news. I shall go in a bit and buy it. Now the bad news is that my MBP has a "dead pixel". I really do not know what the exact term is but I think I have heard the dead pixel thing from someone. I will call AppleCare ASAP to see whats up with that. It is not too noticable but hey, $2900 spent to get it like that, NO WAY!
Apple won't do anything for one pixel. Chances are it's just stuck as Sh0ewax said (sorry, I can't ever remember how to spell your new user name). Use a soft cloth and massage in gentle circular motions around the area that's affected.

tacvbo83
2006-03-17, 16:38
I am installing office already. Thanks for the help with that. As for what torifile said, I called AppleCare and they told me to take it to CompUSA and give them the case number they gave me to see if it is a dead pixel to get fixed or something. First I will try the cloth part you mentioned. Thanks

*i did not buy from CompUSA but that is the closest I can get to an "Apple store". It sucks where I live, bunch of Apple haters and no one to help. Oh well, I am extremely happy with my MBP anyways!!!

Edit: I tried the cloth thing an I can't notice it anymore unless I look for it A LOT. In other words, it is back to normal and thanks again for the help.

Mac Donald
2006-03-18, 16:05
I just wanted to say that I have been extremely impressed with how well Office runs in Rosetta on my MB Pro. I use Word and Remote Desktop (not technically part of Office) every day, probably more than any other program besides Camino, and I don't notice any difference between it and on my old iBook G4. :) :) In fact, it runs better on my MacBook Pro than it does on XP on my HP desktop at work with a Pentium M. :lol:

When MS comes out with a universal binary for Office, unless it's super cheap (zero chance), I see no reason to buy it except maybe to save RAM.

tacvbo83
2006-03-18, 19:17
same here. I see no reason to get an upgrade to universal because it is already extremely fast