PDA

View Full Version : phpformmail 1.07.2 and Exchange

drewprops
2006-03-19, 14:57
Anybody here using phpformmail 1.07.2 (http://www.boaddrink.com/index.php) on your sites?

I've installed it on my employer's website and have hit some problems.
The "big time" web host that I'm using for this new site already hosts two of my own personal websites and the phpformmail installation works perfectly on those two websites (which leads me to the always dangerous conclusion that I know what I'm doing). I see two possible reasons for this latest installation of the php formmail script not working... let me know what you think:

Lingering wonkiness.
I only switched the DNS to point to the new host files yesterday (Saturday 18th). However, I'm not getting the warning about coming from an outside domain.

Exchange Server Crap
I use POP mailboxes set up on the other two websites but my employer uses Exchange Server for our email system. Since I didn't fiddle with ANY email settings when I switched the domain name servers I can't see where I could have cocked up anything.

Am I rushing the DNS switchover?
Should I just wait another day or so to see if things just settle down?
If not is there something I can ask the host to do on their end?

I really don't understand how the Apache email gateway is used by formmail scripts... for instance, does an email from the gateway happen outside of the email setup for the Exchange stuff?

drewprops
2006-03-20, 18:11
I don't want to pollute this forum with multiple threads about this site so I hope that somebody reads this......

I am tracking down the problem and have learned that I need to update two DNS records with my host but I don't know my DNS record files from a hole in the ground. I've been banging my heads against the wall as people's emails from outside our Exchange network bounce (very embarrassing for me)...

Here are examples of the two items I need to plug into the records:

MX Record:
mail.worldwide.company.com

CName Record:
exx-exchange-03.thiscompany.com

The records are currently set as follows (fictional data of course):

NAME: *.example.com
RECORD TYPE: A
DATA: 888.88.88.88

NAME: example.com
RECORD TYPE: MX
DATA: 10 mail.example.com

NAME: mail.example.com
RECORD TYPE: CName
DATA: exx-exchange-03.thiscompany.com

drewprops
2006-03-20, 18:56
hot diggity shit

Sometimes you just need to get the right person on the other end of the telephone... the 2nd shift guy at the host was able to fix it in seconds... at least I think he did. I have to wait until Apache restarts this afternoon PST.

In the meantime I'm going home to sob myself to sleep.
Whole day spent poking at this critter.

gah.