PDA

View Full Version : Consensus on new Intel iMacs or just go G5?

Fooboy
2006-03-21, 08:27
I tried seaching on this but couldn't really find anything ... so sorry if this is beating a dead horse.

Anyways, I can sell my powerbook to a family member and have enough to get a refurbed Intel or G5 iMac, and I didn't plan on doing this so I haven't really kept up with the whole intel vs G5 thing. Are the intels pretty stable or should I just go with a G5 iMac?

Initially I just say G5, but my only concern is that apple will pull the plug on PowerPC software ... but honestly at this point all I do is basic internet / video stuff. I suppose that most mac companies will dual release for quite some time?

Thanks and sorry

Fooboy

ghoti
2006-03-21, 08:33
Some of your questions are answered in the sticky at the top of this forum. Once a program is made into a Universal Binary, it's quite straightforward to maintain both the Intel and PPC versions of it. The only question is how long developers will keep PPC Macs around for testing, but that will be at least a few more years. Apple will certainly keep its stuff Universal for a long time.

Still, I'd go with the Intel, if it fits your price range. It is faster, especially since you don't have to rely on programs that run in Rosetta. And the resale value will likely be higher in a year or two, too.

Fooboy
2006-03-21, 08:59
What about some of the bugs / issues that I have read about with the intel imacs?

chucker
2006-03-21, 09:01
What about some of the bugs / issues that I have read about with the intel imacs?

Such as?

The graphics bug that was present on some systems for a while was fixed in 10.4.5.

I can't think of any other issues.

Fooboy
2006-03-21, 09:05
Ok ... well ... shoot maybe I should go Intel!

For me its either 17" iMac G5 (ati 9600) for $849 refurb ... OR
Intel 17" iMac refurb for $1099

I know it doesnt really matter cuase of rosetta but I have office already for PowerPC

chucker
2006-03-21, 09:25
I honestly would get the Intel. The performance issues with Office won't be big at all.

graphik
2006-03-21, 10:40
I would go Intel. I do pretty much the same stuff as you on my MacBook Pro, basic internet and iLife apps. I also use Office for school, it runs alright under Rosetta, although I do plan on upgrading my ram to help it out a bit.

techound1
2006-03-21, 16:54
Define "basic video stuff". If you're using adobe products, wait. If you're just using iMovie and iDVD, I agree with the other posters. Go for the higher resale value in the newer technology.

turbulentfurball
2006-03-21, 17:03
Define "basic video stuff". If you're using adobe products, wait. If you're just using iMovie and iDVD, I agree with the other posters. *snip*

If you are planning on using just iMovie and iDVD, they are already universal, so the choice seems to be an obvious one.

With regard to the other problems that you were referring to, have a look at this thread (http://forums.applenova.com/showthread.php?p=310393). It's the only other problem that springs to mind, and is easily resolved.

Dorian Gray
2006-03-21, 22:28
If basic video stuff means watching films, bear in mind that HandBrake is apparently leagues faster on an Intel Mac than a single G4 or G5. Like realtime full-resolution H.264 encoding or something ridiculous like that.

I wouldn't say it's an obvious choice when there is a $250 price difference. An iMac G5 for $849 is mind-blowing value, but then so is a iMac Core Duo for $1099. Though I'd rather have the PowerBook Fooboy's selling than either! :p

Fooboy
2006-03-22, 15:31
Yea,

Well I got the factory refurbed 17" 1.8 ghz iMac G5 for $849 ($912 out the door). For what I am doing (basically ... nothing), it will more than suffice. Refurbed 17" Intel iMac for $1099 ($1180) was a tough turn down, but my wife and I just bought our first place (townhouse), and we still have to put up blinds and ceiling fans ... and we just did our taxes and found out we owe $900 bucks (which we paid $129 to find out), and I am taking my CHL for my birthday ... so ... yea.

Aside from saving $268 dollars, I comfort myself by saying that its better to get a late revision product than a new revision product ... right? ... guys? guys? :err:

Brave Ulysses
2006-03-22, 15:39
Yea,

Well I got the factory refurbed 17" 1.8 ghz iMac G5 for $849 ($912 out the door). For what I am doing (basically ... nothing), it will more than suffice. Refurbed 17" Intel iMac for $1099 ($1180) was a tough turn down, but my wife and I just bought our first place (townhouse), and we still have to put up blinds and ceiling fans ... and we just did our taxes and found out we owe $900 bucks (which we paid $129 to find out), and I am taking my CHL for my birthday ... so ... yea.

Aside from saving $268 dollars, I comfort myself by saying that its better to get a late revision product than a new revision product ... right? ... guys? guys? :err:

You really can't go wrong either way. The iMac G5 was an outstanding computer and still is. If I could have advised you earlier I would have suggested you try to find 1.9GHz iMac G5 somewhere since that revision was by far the most solid and probably can be had for a similar price now.

Fooboy
2006-03-22, 17:56
Yea ... the 1.9 G5 was $1099, same as intel

neiltc13
2006-03-22, 18:26
$1180 for a Core Duo iMac is a BARGAIN. That's £674. The UK one costs $1624 new.

chucker
2006-03-22, 18:38
$1180 for a Core Duo iMac is a BARGAIN. That's £674. The UK one costs $1624 new.

Um, you can't calculate like that. UK prices include tax, EU importing costs, customs, localization costs, etc. US prices are generally a lot lower.

Fooboy
2006-03-27, 19:44
1.8 ghz 17" iMac (+ 1 gig of ram from Newegg) gets here TO-MOR-ROW! Best $849 I ever spent.

but ... now for the hard part.

*turns to face PowerBook*

So long powerbook ... it's been great while it lasted, but the truth is ... we've just grown apart - and lets be honest, I'm not as mobile as I used to be. Come on, don't be sad, its better this way. You deserve to be turned loose, free. And don't worry, your new owner is just 20 minutes away, I can stop by and say hey every now and then. We had some good times, eh? You were my first mac, and my first laptop too. Remember whe--- uh oh, my wife is coming! You'll be fine, Good bye!

*closes lid*

Ebby
2006-03-27, 20:02
:o Hey! You got me sad!

Now you know why I keep every computer I own. I am typing this on a Pismo right now. Even if I replace it, it will still be chugging away as some server or something. It just turned 6 years old now, which is like 85 in human years.

Fooboy
2006-04-15, 21:45
Just ordered a refurb 17" Intel iMac and extra 1 gig stick of memory from newegg (crucial) ... I returned the G5 refurb iMac I got a few days after I got it. Great machine, but it was very loud and buzzy, something I found out to be common with that revision after some research.

should have done this to begin with.

Oh well, hindsight is 20 / 20