PDA

View Full Version : I want an Intel Mac Laptop...

Hercules
2006-03-23, 14:34
But I can't spend $2000 on a MacBook Pro. I am wondering if there is any impending release of an Intel iBook so it comes down to my price range. I need the intel version so I can run XP Professional on it as well (It's for work, not by choice!).

Anyhoo.. was just wondering if there's anything 'in the works' with regard to this, and how far off it might be? I don't need a nailed-down date... just an estimate or if there are any rumors :)

chucker
2006-03-23, 14:37
I am wondering if there is any impending release of an Intel iBook so it comes down to my price range.

Quite. The last iBook update was in August, which is an unusually release cycle for Apple. An Intel-based iBook successor, most likely to be dubbed MacBook, is to be expected any week now.

bassplayinMacFiend
2006-03-23, 14:43
Cross your fingers and hope for something better then integrated graphics though. I know I am (not that I'm getting one, yet).

RowdyScot
2006-03-23, 14:50
I wouldn't count on running XP. It may boot, but not much else has been done yet with that project.

Hercules
2006-03-23, 14:52
I'm not in any rush for it to run XP properly... i know it will happen in time because the components are there to do it. As long as it's Intel, there is light at the end of the rainbow, and thus I can boot into Windows, do my work-related stuff, then reload into OSX and enjoy :)

torifile
2006-03-23, 16:19
XP is actually very functional if you don't need any graphically intensive things. I can use Quicken 2006 on it without a problem and emailing, web browsing is completely usable. Leagues better than VPC ever was. Pretty much everything but graphics acceleration is working. Even my USB and networked printers work without a hitch. I'm going to try my Blackberry tonight.

As others have said, an updated iBook is expected very soon. Hopefully within the next couple of weeks. I'm going to be in the market for one this summer. I'm hoping that North Carolina has a tax free weekend again and the cram and jam promo is back. That would be sweet. :cool:

ion
2006-03-23, 22:54
XP is actually very functional if you don't need any graphically intensive things. I can use Quicken 2006 on it without a problem and emailing, web browsing is completely usable. Leagues better than VPC ever was. Pretty much everything but graphics acceleration is working. Even my USB and networked printers work without a hitch. I'm going to try my Blackberry tonight.

As others have said, an updated iBook is expected very soon. Hopefully within the next couple of weeks. I'm going to be in the market for one this summer. I'm hoping that North Carolina has a tax free weekend again and the cram and jam promo is back. That would be sweet. :cool:

And its running faster than on a same speced PC: http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1617