PDA

View Full Version : Why won't other browsers render this image?

jlehrfeld
2006-03-30, 16:19
I've been having this problem where only Safari will render an image on a site I'm designing and no other browsers will. I can't for the life of me figure out why this is happening -- usually (this isn't the first time this has happened) it will only affect one image on the page, and everything else will render perfectly fine in every browser. Any insight into why this may be happening? Here is the CSS code for my header:

#header { /* HEADER DIV PROPERTIES */
position: relative;
background-color: transparent;
background-image: url(http://people.brandeis.edu/~lehrfeld/images/header.jpg);
background-position: bottom center;
background-repeat: no-repeat;
width: 100%;
height: 191px;
border-bottom: 1px solid #000000;
}

and for my footer:

#footer { /* FOOTER DIV PROPERTIES */
position: relative;
background-image: url(http://people.brandeis.edu/~lehrfeld/images/footer.jpg);
background-position: bottom center;
background-repeat: no-repeat;
width: 100%;
height: 74px;
color: #FFFFFF;
margin: 0 1px;
border-top: 1px solid #000000;
}

The problem is the footer -- the image that is supposed to be the background won't load. I tried just typing in the path of the image to see if the browsers would load that image by itself, and no luck there either. Only Safari would load it. Again, no problems with any other images (I included both header and footer code though so it's easy to compare one that works with one that doesn't because both sections are almost identical). Both sections only have opening and closing div tags around other divs and a paragraph or two. It's not that the image isn't there, or isn't linked to correctly, because Safari does load it! Is there something screwy going on?? :(

Brad
2006-03-30, 16:27
The footer image isn't a JPEG. That's the problem. :p

It's a Photoshop file with the ".jpg" extension appended to it. Safari displays it because Safari uses the native image framework in Mac OS X which supports Photoshop's ".psd" format.

PS. Welcome to AppleNova! :)

jlehrfeld
2006-03-30, 16:33
Oh my sweet lord, thank you so much. This was bothering me for days!

Brad
2006-03-30, 16:36
Glad to help. Cheers!

murbot
2006-03-30, 16:42
Brad. You make me want to be a better man.

But not in a Brokeback Nova way or anything.

ghoti
2006-03-30, 16:48
I think it's time we built a shrine. ;)

Ooooh a rhyme! A rhyme! How mighty fine!

jlehrfeld
2006-03-31, 22:30
Yes I agree about the shrine, although I've been here only a short time. Whoa, that almost rhymed...

Ok I am going to ask one more silly but related question. Now I'm really careful not to make that Photoshop mistake, but IE still won't display one of my images (all the other browsers will now, though). Any ideas what it might be this time?? Many grr's and advanced thanks! :)

Brad
2006-04-01, 00:41
IE still won't display one of my images (all the other browsers will now, though). Any ideas what it might be this time??
Link? Code? Gimme something tangible to work with here.

jlehrfeld
2006-04-01, 09:31
Link? Code? Gimme something tangible to work with here.

Ah sorry but it seems like it worked itself out. I honestly don't know what happened... I should say this is IE5/Mac giving me trouble; I really don't know what IE for PC's does. Man I hate IE...

Wyatt
2006-04-01, 09:54
Ah sorry but it seems like it worked itself out. I honestly don't know what happened... I should say this is IE5/Mac giving me trouble; I really don't know what IE for PC's does. Man I hate IE...
Microsoft has halted development of IE for the Mac. Why are you trying to make sure it works in that bastard child browser, anyway? They haven't updated it in years. It's nowhere near standards-compliant, and any attempt to get it to work may destroy your page in other browsers. Give up on IE Mac.

jlehrfeld
2006-04-01, 11:00
Microsoft has halted development of IE for the Mac. Why are you trying to make sure it works in that bastard child browser, anyway? They haven't updated it in years. It's nowhere near standards-compliant, and any attempt to get it to work may destroy your page in other browsers. Give up on IE Mac.

I dunno, is it nowhere close to what IE looks like on a PC? That's really the only reason I was using it -- I figured it couldn't be that far off. Is there a better way to get a taste of what a PC user will see (other than finding a PC to test it on)?

Wyatt
2006-04-01, 11:14
I dunno, is it nowhere close to what IE looks like on a PC? That's really the only reason I was using it -- I figured it couldn't be that far off. Is there a better way to get a taste of what a PC user will see (other than finding a PC to test it on)?
No, it's not. Although IE for the PC is a piece of garbage, too. IE7 looks to be slightly more standards-compliant, but of course Microsoft is going to put in stuff that's not even close to standard as well. Just design to be standards-compliant. That's all you can really ask for any more. With so many browsers out there, you're never going to have a design that looks perfect in every browser, but being fully standards compliant will give you the best shot.

jlehrfeld
2006-04-01, 11:42
No, it's not. Although IE for the PC is a piece of garbage, too. IE7 looks to be slightly more standards-compliant, but of course Microsoft is going to put in stuff that's not even close to standard as well. Just design to be standards-compliant. That's all you can really ask for any more. With so many browsers out there, you're never going to have a design that looks perfect in every browser, but being fully standards compliant will give you the best shot.

Alright, thanks for the advice!

Brad
2006-04-01, 15:30
To add to that, Mac IE used a completely separate rendering engine from anything that Windows IE used. Mac IE had a different set of supported features and a different set of bugs; it did some things better than Win IE and some things worse.

The last substantial update, Mac IE 5, was released in 2000. As fcgritz said, Microsoft officially announced abandoning its development last year, although it obviously had already not done any work on it for years prior.

When compared to practically every single other Mac web browser, IE is far below at the bottom of the chain. No one should be using it. Period.

Majost
2006-04-01, 16:12
When compared to practically every single other Mac OS X web browser, IE is far below at the bottom of the chain. No one should be using it. Period.
While true for OS X, the Browser world in OS 9 is much different. There, IE is on much more equitable standing with an outdated version of Mozilla (that, may I add, is difficult to find), Netscape, and few others.

ghoti
2006-04-01, 16:29
How many people are still using OS9? Apart from a few geeks who will never accept that times change ...

Brad
2006-04-01, 16:37
Exactly my thoughts, ghoti. Mac OS X has been shipped for over five years now. I don't think there would be many users still holding on to Mac OS 9 and even those that are still using OS 9 are generally irrelevant because practically everything they're using, especially online, is severely outdated.

That's why I didn't make the distinction. The default is Mac OS X when referring to "Mac" and has been for a long time.