PDA

View Full Version : What should we do with members who dont post?

Zodiac
2004-08-24, 12:22
I noticed a lot of the members here have posted only a few times in a single thread and never came back or haven't posted at all. What should be done with them?

usurp
2004-08-24, 12:34
why should anything be done with them?

Zodiac
2004-08-24, 12:41
why should anything be done with them?
It just seems to be a waste to have the half of the members who have not even have looked at the site for months.

bassplayinMacFiend
2004-08-24, 12:48
I've gone months w/o logging into forum sites for one reason or another (school, real life(TM), etc.). One place I visit will send you a warning after 12 months of inactivity. If you don't log into the site at least once in the 30 days following the email, your account gets expunged.

DMBand0026
2004-08-24, 12:49
Do we really need to delete members? We're still sub 1000 anyway :\

LoCash
2004-08-24, 13:09
Do we really need to delete members? We're still sub 1000 anyway :\

No, we don't need to delete members that don't post, nor do we need to "warn" them. Membership at this site does not require that you must post, or even must visit this site. Each member account takes up such a marginal amount of disk space and system resources that there is no good reason to prune accounts.

As we begin to expand the site, your account allows you access to more than just the forums, and as such, many members may utilise their accounts without ever posting in the forums. An example of this would be to customize the way the front end looks, or to submit articles.

I don't see this as ever being a real problem.

bassplayinMacFiend
2004-08-24, 13:47
No, we don't need to delete members that don't post, nor do we need to "warn" them. Membership at this site does not require that you must post, or even must visit this site. Each member account takes up such a marginal amount of disk space and system resources that there is no good reason to prune accounts.

As we begin to expand the site, your account allows you access to more than just the forums, and as such, many members may utilise their accounts without ever posting in the forums. An example of this would be to customize the way the front end looks, or to submit articles.

I don't see this as ever being a real problem.

Yea, I've only received a warning from the ARS forums, but they probably have many more inactive accounts then most places have active accounts.

The only reason I could see pruning inactive accounts would be to allow the pruned user names to go back into circulation.

usurp
2004-08-24, 14:51
hmm thats an interesting point.

psmith2.0
2004-08-24, 15:21
Yeah, seems kinda mean to "warn" and hassle people for NOT posting. Hell, there are some - myself included, at times - who should get warned and threatened with closed accounts FOR posting, not the other way around.

:lol:

Bad, silly idea that serves no purpose. Kinda like the NFL, only without the colorful pants.

*ducks*

Escher
2004-08-24, 16:25
Kinda like the NFL, only without the colorful pants.

:lol: I'm right there with you, pscates!

Ã¥sen
2004-08-24, 16:28
I registered here on May 16, the day after this place opened for business, and I've posted ~10 times since then.

I figure I learn more by reading all your posts, than you will ever benefit from reading anything I type. So why should I post more?

SKMDC
2004-08-24, 16:28
don't duck, i'll get your back on that one.
the NFL is the third biggest scam after the papacy and monarchies.
4th is tony bennett can sing, and 5th is kirk douglas can act.
now i'll duck.

i say any member that doesn't post should be thrown in the water to see if they float. and if they don't float they must be a witch....and what do we do to witches?

god i'm bored today.

SKMDC
2004-08-24, 16:31
I registered here on May 16, the day after this place opened for business, and I've posted ~10 times since then.

I figure I learn more by reading all your posts, than you will ever benefit from reading anything I type. So why should I post more?

good point, way back when i joined the old place, i posted, had my head caved in, and lurked 'til i got the lay of the land and now i can't shut fuck up.

Cybermonkey
2004-08-24, 16:35
i say any member that doesn't post should be thrown in the water to see if they float. and if they don't float they must be a witch....and what do we do to witches?

god i'm bored today.

Shag their brains out?

Paul
2004-08-24, 17:34
only without the colorful pants.

hmmm I think you underestimate the level diversity of these forums...

I'm wearing Khaki pants right now.

We can probably get at least 5 different types of pants... :p

LoCash
2004-08-24, 17:36
good point, way back when i joined the old place, i posted, had my head caved in, and lurked 'til i got the lay of the land and now i can't shut fuck up.
No, you're sporting 295 posts. pscates, first member to top 1000 posts, can't stfu ;)

curiousuburb
2004-08-24, 20:25
The only reason I could see pruning inactive accounts would be to allow the pruned user names to go back into circulation.

Does that count as dismemberment?? :p

psmith2.0
2004-08-26, 11:13
No, you're sporting 295 posts. pscates, first member to top 1000 posts, can't stfu ;)

Yes, but it's thoughtful, well-reasoned, quality shit - staggering in its brilliance, wit and insight - that most everyone should feel honored and fortunate to read. :lol: :p

Or not... wheeee!

Wrao
2004-08-26, 13:38
Put 'em in the long boat till they're sober

DMBand0026
2004-08-26, 14:45
hmmm I think you underestimate the level diversity of these forums...

I'm wearing Khaki pants right now.

We can probably get at least 5 different types of pants... :p

Flannels here.

Bones3D
2004-08-27, 16:11
Keep in mind, that many people with user accounts will often continue to read the forums without necessarily needing to log in to do it. (Particularly those who surf the web from work or a public terminal.) It's a common practice and I've seen it for years on the Think Secret boards. If this were a major concern for Apple Nova, they could simply disallow people from viewing the forums anonymously at any time.

Of course, if they did this, it would effectively limit the community's ability to grow here. Generally speaking, most people will usually refuse to sign up for a service before seeing what it has to offer.

Aside from that, deleting seemingly inactive accounts of users who visit here on a daily basis would only serve to drive away a good portion of the user base here.

alcimedes
2004-08-27, 16:29
yeah, no real positives, and a lot of negatives.

i know there are some forums i only visit a few times every couple of years, but i'd be pissed if i went back there and my account was gone.

psmith2.0
2004-08-27, 18:45
Exactly. It should be a come-and-go-as-the-mood-hits kinda place.

No harm in infrequent, casual members.

_Ω_
2004-08-27, 19:02
Flannels here.

No pants at all....

psmith2.0
2004-08-27, 20:06
Lalala...I'm not listening...lala...I didn't read that... :p

curiousuburb
2004-08-27, 20:19
If Sir Mac O' The Isles were a member, we might have at least one kilt wearer.

psmith2.0
2004-08-27, 20:36
You know, I could really get into the idea of kilts. TOTAL freedom! I was watching that band, Enter the Haggis, play a show on TV a few weeks ago (check out my AppleOutsider thread on them) and they looked really cool (both ways).

I don't mind saying that I wish it was accepted and I wouldn't get a beating for it.

:D

I figure it would be just like wearing my robe (I love getting out of the shower and wearing nothing but my cozy robe for hours)...total comfort, no binding, etc.

Help me start a "kilts are okay...back off!" movement, people. Considering my ethnic background/roots, I'm entitled...

:p

Escher
2004-08-28, 08:40
You know, I could really get into the idea of kilts.
Considering my ethnic background/roots, I'm entitled... :p

I don't know about kilts. Last year I met a German guy who wears kilts exclusively. He doesn't even own pants or shorts or anything else. Just kilts and those tall white socks. And he doesn't have a single drop of Scottish blood! Seemed pretty crazy to me.

Now the bath robe I can agree with. Especially if you can sit in front of the fireplace and warm your feet while sipping a cup of hot coffee or cocoa with smores.

PS: I'm wearing cargo shorts. That makes four kinds of "pants."

Escher

psmith2.0
2004-08-28, 08:48
Yeah, I've been a recent convert to the whole "cargo" thing. I loaded up at Old Navy and Target back in the spring: a few shorts, some pants in different colors (khaki, olive, etc.). I dig the loose, baggy feel AND I've got a pocket for EVERYTHING!

:D

Nice to give the jeans a rest...

As for kilts, I just think that would be a cool, comfortable way to go through the day. I'd look bitchin' in orange tartan plaid...

:p

Cybermonkey
2004-08-28, 10:23
I dont thing it would be a very good idea to be wearing kilts in the U.S.A. If you come across a snake or nasty spider guess where they'll be heading first :rolleyes:

staph
2004-08-29, 09:13
You know, I could really get into the idea of kilts. TOTAL freedom!

I'm quite partial to a mini myself… they're great for dancing in — lots of freedom of movement, nice and cool, etc.

Pity about the lack of pockets.

;)

Windswept
2004-08-29, 09:25
I dont thing it would be a very good idea to be wearing kilts in the U.S.A. If you come across a snake or nasty spider guess where they'll be heading first :rolleyes:
Do you guys *not* have snakes in the UK? :eek:

You *do* have black widow spiders, right?

Cybermonkey
2004-08-29, 09:34
Do you guys *not* have snakes in the UK? :eek:

You *do* have black widow spiders, right?

The only native nasties we have here are grass snakes (harmless water snakes) and the adder, which is about as toxic as a bumble bee. Both are very hard to come by. As for spiders, there's some big ones but no black widows or anything that can kill yer :D

Me thinks your getting the UK confused with australia

Windswept
2004-08-29, 09:46
The only native nasties we have here are grass snakes (harmless water snakes) and the adder, which is about as toxic as a bumble bee. Both are very hard to come by. As for spiders, there's some big ones but no black widows or anything that can kill yer :D

Me thinks your getting the UK confused with australia
No way! :) I know Australia is crammed with poisonous stuff.

I find it hard to believe that some people are never treated to the shocking sight of a black widow in all her black, shiny glory - glossy, obscenely bulbous, malevolent-looking. Truly the stuff of which nightmares are made.

I just know that if I were to go outside this very minute, and take the cover off my barbecue grill, I would be guaranteed to find a black widow living there. *shudder*

psmith2.0
2004-08-29, 09:55
Cook it! That'll teach him to make a home in your burger maker!

:)

Escher
2004-08-29, 13:42
Yeah, I've been a recent convert to the whole "cargo" thing. ... I dig the loose, baggy feel AND I've got a pocket for EVERYTHING!

pscates: Posts like this make me hope that I will find a job where I don't have to wear a white shirt, gray suit and tie. Or maybe I should just remain unemployed. ;)

As for kilts, I just think that would be a cool, comfortable way to go through the day. I'd look bitchin' in orange tartan plaid...

Whaddaya know. I talk about my friend Klaus and his collection of kilts and here he shows up inflating a gas balloon (http://www.gordonbennett2004.org/photos/images/DSC05386_JPG.jpg) for the Gordon Bennet race -- in his kilt. ;)

I'm quite partial to a mini myself… they're great for dancing in — lots of freedom of movement, nice and cool, etc.

There's a big difference, my dear staph, both for the wearer and the casual observer! ;) I love Lycra and other thin strechable materials. They're comfortable and usually look good. But thick heavy wool clothing doesn't float my boat, whether it be worn by women or men.

Pity about the lack of pockets.

I knew there was one advantage to being a guy. ;)

Escher

diePCdie
2004-09-11, 17:43
Kilts are OK so long as the, ummm, undies are included. I'd hate to be sitting in a bar and have some kilt-wearing dude sidle up and hike a leg up on the bar and . . . well . . . uhh . . .

I'm wearing shorts (and undies) :D