PDA

View Full Version : What features should i purchase for the imac

kbesnoy
2006-04-05, 13:58
I am investigating the possibility of purchasing a new imac. What features should I add above the basics?

chucker
2006-04-05, 14:03
Um, well, what do you want to use it for?

kbesnoy
2006-04-05, 14:05
Um, well, what do you want to use it for?
I'm going to be a university professor and would like to create pod casts...and use it to video conference with my distance learning students...also...i want to have the power to explore the many options of the mac...I have been a windows user for years...should I upgrade to 1g of ram or more...what about hard drive?

ghoti
2006-04-05, 14:08
Welcome, kbesnoy, where are you going to teach? An iMac is a cheap computer for a university, so don't be shy. I'm just ordering one myself, so I know that ;). I would go for at least 1GB of RAM, better get two. The harddrive should be fine. If you're not going to do any graphics intensive stuff, 128MB of graphics RAM should be sufficient. Try to find out how much you can spend, and when you will get a new computer. Based on that, get as much as you can. You can't get very unreasonable with an iMac, anyway. Oh, and definitely get the 20"!

Edit: what I mean with cheap is that everybody was apparently expecting me to buy a PowerMac and a big-ass display. The online Apple store for the university doesn't even have an iMac among the recommended systems, only PowerMacs and PowerBooks (no MBP yet because of software issues).

kbesnoy
2006-04-05, 14:11
I will request an office verstion, but I am also going to purchase one for my home. What about software? By the way, I will be working at Northern Kentucky University.

chucker
2006-04-05, 14:12
1 GB should be enough for most needs. You can always upgrade later; third-party RAM is significantly cheaper anyway (so if you want to save some money, only get 512 MB from Apple, then buy more elsewhere).

Oh, and enjoy your Mac! :)

kbesnoy
2006-04-05, 14:13
I see that you are from Charlotte. I grew up there and my parents still live there. Great town!!!

ghoti
2006-04-05, 14:14
Your university probably has campus licenses for software. Find out what they have, and what you might have to buy. But they should have Office, and you should get iLife for a very low cost (or for free). But check with your IT support department.

ghoti
2006-04-05, 14:15
Well I'm not from Charlotte, but I live/work/teach here now. Great town, that's indeed (and a small world! ;))!

kbesnoy
2006-04-05, 14:16
What about iWork?

Yontsey
2006-04-05, 14:40
depends on if you need to use excel or not

ghoti
2006-04-05, 14:40
You have to check with your university; here I don't think we have a campus license. But iWork is like $50, so that really shouldn't be a big deal.

kbesnoy
2006-04-06, 06:45
Will I need to purchase an anti-virus program? It is my understanding that macs are not susceptible to viruses.

Brad
2006-04-06, 09:50
Will I need to purchase an anti-virus program? It is my understanding that macs are not susceptible to viruses.
Well, no viruses exist for Mac OS X, but that doesn't mean it is completely impervious to undiscovered future exploits. That said, don't waste your money on virus protection! They're all a waste of time for now and some of them cause more problems than they fix.

sloth501
2006-04-06, 10:59
I would say buy your ram from another vendor. Apple wanted $1200 for 2GB to be added to my iMac at the time of purchase (Jan 06) but I just got a 2GB stick for around $240 from a third party....