PDA

View Full Version : Too Much Hardware - how to sell? What's it worth?

SteveC
2006-04-08, 07:51
I recently moved my office in rented space to my house, and downsized to 0 employees. Now I have WAY too much hardware. We are a family of 5 with 5 computers and 1 PC.....and I am thinking with Boot Camp things could be a lot simplier still.

So what is the best way to dump all this stuff and migrate to intel-based machines?

This is what I have:

Snow iMac G3
iBook 12" (needs battery) White dual USB G3
original G4 Sawtooth (complete with 1 of 1000 posters that were sent to first buyers)
Powerbook 12" Aluminum 867 (needs new top case, trackpad broken) G4
Dual 867 Mirror Door G4

I also have a 20" Cinema Display that I could let go, too. I think we could "survive" on one laptop and one iMac (or tower with display), and it would take up a lot less room, too.

Any suggestions? It strikes me that these units are worth more as parts than they are as computers. In all cases lots of memory has been added. Both towers have 120GB second drives.

What is a fair price for this stuff?

I am thinking intel towers are not coming until WWDC. Has anyone heard anything? I'm more inclined to buy one of those than an iMac.

Thanks.

techound1
2006-04-09, 20:09
Hi Steve,

Is there a reason you didn't check ebay for current prices? You could get an idea about the prices for both whole and parts. Also check other forums - there always seems to be someone looking for broken or parts machines.

-th1

alcimedes
2006-04-09, 21:30
or just toss it up on craigslist.

usurp
2006-04-09, 23:45
how much u want to sell the 12inch pbook? i might need it for spare parts..

Artap99
2006-04-09, 23:59
How much would you want for the cinema display? I might need it for...seeing things displayed by my computer :)

PM me if you would like.

ZachPruckowski
2006-04-10, 02:13
Can I suggest donating it? Seriously, see if some local charity wants one, get them to write you a tax-deductible donation form at the top price you can find for it online. A G4 wouldn't be bad for some charities that aren't otherwise tech-heavy. Web-browsing, file storage, and find a nice database program (like OO.o's Base if you have Panther/Tiger), and most smaller, local charities or churches would love it. That beats packaging it up and shipping it somewhere for like half the purchase cost.

m4hl3r
2006-04-12, 05:49
Steve C - you got PM ;)

ast3r3x
2006-04-12, 06:45
Too much hardware? 5 computers, 5 macs, 1 PC. At most you just have one too many PC's ;)