PDA

View Full Version : iMac purchase

Squadra T
2006-04-10, 15:07
Hi All,

I've been lurking on the applenova forums for about a year now and found some posts overhere really interesting and helpful. So far the introduction :)

I purchased my first Mac (Mac mini) last year and have been looking into buying an iMac for a while. The thing is that I switched to the Mac, but my girlfriend did not switch along with me... So we now have a DELL and a Mac mini connected to one LCD, since I cannot convice her to start using the Mac.

And now there's boot camp, the ideal solution for us of course. I'm really eagering to go to an Apple center and buy myself a 17" iMac, but want to make some stuff sure before I make her use Windows on the iMac:

I read about these issues when booting in WinXP:

- problems with usb drivers (so if no usb, she will not be able to sync her iPod)
- numeric keypad on Apple keyboard does not work

If I can be conviced that she will be able to run XP for nothing more fancy than using MS Office, email, surfing, iTunes and iPod, and she is able to use the numeric keypad I'm off to an Apple center immediately!

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

T

torifile
2006-04-10, 15:23
I'm not sure where you heard the keypad thing but it works fine here. You may need to press the "clear" button the numpad (it's mapped as the numlock key) but I haven't had to.

As far as USB. It works fine, but you can use OS X to sync the iPod anyway so that shouldn't hold you up.

Squadra T
2006-04-10, 15:50
I don't remember on which site I read about the keypad but I think you just mentioned what that guy's problem might have been.

Ofcouse, I will use OS X to sync my iPod, as I do now, but since my girlfriend is used to do all her stuff (including iTunes and iPod) in XP and she really "does not want things to change" I had to make sure she'll be able to do all the stuff she does now with XP.

Satchmo
2006-04-10, 15:51
What's up with these women?
Have the same prob with my gf. She won't switch to Mac because they use a PC at work.
Perhaps I should "switch" her for someone else. :lol:

Nah, she's cool...and fortunately she has her own setup and i have mine.

Luca
2006-04-10, 15:53
No dude, you don't get it. You use the ability to boot into XP as the hook to get her to agree to the purchase. Once you've done that, you conveniently come up with some excuse for it not working (just make something up, I'm sure she'll never know you're lying). And then you say "I guess you'll just have to live with Mac OS." And then you win.

Brad
2006-04-10, 16:01
Ding ding ding!

Luca's got the right idea.

GladToBeHere
2006-04-10, 16:16
:lol: You guys are bad. Bad... but right on!

chucker
2006-04-10, 17:17
Luca FTW.

Wyatt
2006-04-10, 17:46
No dude, you don't get it. You use the ability to boot into XP as the hook to get her to agree to the purchase. Once you've done that, you conveniently come up with some excuse for it not working (just make something up, I'm sure she'll never know you're lying). And then you say "I guess you'll just have to live with Mac OS." And then you win.
Yes, jackpot. That was actually one of my first thoughts when Boot Camp was announced. Except that if my girlfriend and I had to share a computer, we might murder each other.

Squadra T
2006-04-11, 01:38

Now that's a great idea ! :lol:
Let's then say I am secretly hoping the XP on iMac will stop working as soon as I've ebayed the DELL box. Then I don't even have to waste 50 gigs of the harddrive to the XP partition :)

Brad
2006-04-12, 12:02
I've moved Squadra T's unrelated question into a new thread here:
Move files automatically from old Mac to new Mac? (http://forums.applenova.com/showthread.php?t=15620)

CyberGypsy
2006-04-13, 08:16
What's up with these women?
Have the same prob with my gf. She won't switch to Mac because they use a PC at work.
Perhaps I should "switch" her for someone else. :lol:

Nah, she's cool...and fortunately she has her own setup and i have mine.

Good idea! I am here for you baby, and i also love cars...48 in the last five years...all new...electronics and macs are my life.....i get so crazy when something new is comming out.....I buy it the minute its out......even before the apple store gets a demo, they sell it to me... i beg well!:\

Mugge
2006-04-13, 09:03
Now that's a great idea ! :lol:
Let's then say I am secretly hoping the XP on iMac will stop working as soon as I've ebayed the DELL box. Then I don't even have to waste 50 gigs of the harddrive to the XP partition :)

Just make sure she never reads this thread here at AN.

;)

Squadra T
2006-04-13, 09:32
OK I've just ordered the iMac (17", 1 gb RAM, 250 gb hard drive, applecare).

Can't wait for it to be delivered and hope I won't feel like "I knew I shouldn't have bought a rev. A product" in a few weeks / months...

Squadra T
2006-04-13, 09:36
Just make sure she never reads this thread here at AN.

;)

I'll block AN on the XP installation, to make sure :cool:

Squadra T
2006-05-05, 14:09
I took delivery of it yesterday. Finally !

Now... I knew it would be faster than my G4 mini...
But I didn't know it would be that freakin' fast !

Approx. 10 000 pics in iPhoto and you know what?? It realy scrolls like butter !!!

This thing is awesome !!!

HA !

Wyatt
2006-05-05, 14:27
Congrats on the new Mac! I'm getting my MBP on Monday, so I know how excited you are. Enjoy!

Squadra T
2006-05-05, 15:48
Congrats on the new Mac! I'm getting my MBP on Monday, so I know how excited you are. Enjoy!

Thanks ! Have fun with your MBP too !

Squadra T
2006-05-12, 11:25
OK Everyone. I have it for about a week now... And it's a screamer !!!!

Those two gigs of RAM are really worth it when running PowerPC apps. Yesterday I was encoding a DVD with Toast 7 (Rosetta) and had about 16 psd's opened in Photoshop CS2. Still scrolled like butter !

Awesome machine...