PDA

View Full Version : AppleCare Question

MacMan05
2006-04-11, 20:51
I am considering buying a MBP on eBay and was wondering if i need the original purchasing receipt in order to get AppleCare?:confused:

Fran441
2006-04-11, 22:59
Since the MacBook Pros are less than one year old, I would bring it into an Apple Retail store and buy AppleCare there. You might not have any issue in buying the AppleCare policy online and applying it to the computer, but without the receipt, there is always the off chance that there would be a problem somewhere down the line. Take it to the genius bar, they will likely want to make sure the computer is still in good condition, then buy the policy.

In my opinion, it's worth buying AppleCare when you buy the machine or at an Apple Store so they can set it up for you. When I bought AppleCare for my old PowerBook G3 (Pismo), Apple had a record of me buying the policy from them but said it was never 'attached' to my PowerBook. It was a headache trying to get them to honor the policy and every time I called them up for repairs, they told me my policy number was invalid and that I would go through the same hassle of getting it 'attached' again. There was one point where the policy number I was given was attached to an iMac in Europe.

Thankfully, the last time I had to send in my Pismo for repairs, I was given a PowerBook G4 (Titanium 1 GHz) for my troubles. It's definitely worth buying, but make sure Apple sets it up to prevent the problems I had when I needed to actually use it. ;)

Meltedbutter421
2006-04-12, 10:55
i dont think so. when i got it for my ipod, i just bought it and then registered it online. i really should be getting apple care for my powerbook soon, 1 year warrantee is up in july

Luca
2006-04-12, 11:39
Dude, you asked this question again in a different thread one day later? If you still need help and you're not getting many responses, you're permitted to bump your own thread occasionally (once a day at most). You should never start a new topic about the exact same subject if you already started a topic recently.