PDA

View Full Version : Should I buy a wireless router?

jimdad
2006-04-15, 14:12
I'm becoming confused. Virtually all my PC owning friends have wireless routers (something about which I know nothing other than that they can seldom complete setup without hitches). I now have my provider - BT - pushing one on me as an "upgrade". However, based on my very limited knowledge of them I'm struggling to see what benefits I would gain from such a purchase.

I have a G4 iMac connected to the Internet (ASDL BTyahoo) and a speed of 1mgb ( fair distance from phone exchange). At present I share this connection with my PB my son's iBook and an HP Laptop. I can print from any of the machines ( apart from the PC :no: ) to my inkjet printer which is connected to the iMac.

So my question is what would I gain over my current airport/wireless setup? Thanks in advance for any advice, including, if appropriate, type of router.

ghoti
2006-04-15, 14:25
In your case, you would probably only gain the ability to turn off your iMac and still be able to use the net from the laptops. And you could move the iMac somewhere else without having to move the modem/connections around. If that is not enough reason, then simply don't buy it ;)

colivigan
2006-04-15, 14:41
The big selling points for wireless are mobility and ease of installation. You can use the iBook or PC laptop at the dining room table, in the comfy chair by the TV, or out on the patio when the weather is nice. You can network an existing set of computers without running cat 5 cable all over your house. If your friend comes over with his laptop, he's easily connected.

The drawbacks, as I see them, are speed and security. A wired network will almost always be faster, and is certainly more secure. You can make a wireless network reasonably secure, but it takes a little effort.

Most routers (wired or wireless) will generally include a rudimentary firewall, which can provide an extra layer of protection against the Dark Side of the internet.

Personally, I'm still wired with an ancient Linksys BEFSR41. Never really felt the inclination to take the laptop out on the patio. I'd rather have a cold beer.

Edit: Just now saw the "airport/wireless" in your last sentence. Never mind. :o

turbulentfurball
2006-04-15, 15:23
I'll second ghoti's comment. I think BT are simply trying to sell you something. I would choose my own router rather than one which is being aggressively marketed towards customers. For most tasks, your current setup is fine, but a router would reduce the resources employed by the iMac to act as a router for another two computers, as well as the advantage that the iMac doesn't have to be switched on for the network to operate.

jimdad
2006-04-15, 15:31
Thanks, guys. Ghoti, have I picked you up right that I could move the iMac anywhere as it would no longer have to be physically connected to my internet in cable ? That must mean that the router has a built in modem? It must also mean that a lot of settings will have to be put in - presumably by connecting the router to my iMac to start with for setup? Sorry for my complete ignorance here.

I do like the idea of being able to do away with iMac + printer + desk beside my internet connection

Brad
2006-04-15, 15:33
Thanks, guys. Ghoti, have I picked you up right that I could move the iMac anywhere as it would no longer have to be physically connected to my internet in cable ? That must mean that the router has a built in modem? It must also mean that a lot of settings will have to be put in - presumably by connecting the router to my iMac to start with for setup?
This is how most home setups with a router work:

Phone/cable outlet
|
Modem
|
Router
| | | |
Your computers

If the router has wireless capabilities, yes, you can put your computers anywhere you like within range. No computer has to remain connected to the router at all for it to connect to the Internet. Once you set it up, the router acts like a mini computer (in fact, some run a version of Linux) and manages the Internet connection to the modem automagically.

turbulentfurball
2006-04-15, 15:39
I think it's likely that BT plan to replace your modem with a new one which has a built-in wireless router.

ghoti
2006-04-15, 15:50
Thanks, guys. Ghoti, have I picked you up right that I could move the iMac anywhere as it would no longer have to be physically connected to my internet in cable ? That must mean that the router has a built in modem? It must also mean that a lot of settings will have to be put in - presumably by connecting the router to my iMac to start with for setup?
The router simply connects to your modem or adapter or whatever it's called for ADSL, just like your iMac does now. I don't know about configuration, but with cable modems it's usually plug&play, at least as far as the internet side is concerned. You will have to set up your wireless network, but that shouldn't be a big deal. And since BT is pushing this on you, they will hopefully install it for you, or have some useful information on how to do it. And of course, since the router handles your WLAN, you can move your iMac and just connect it wirelessly like your laptops.

You can always just buy an access point yourself, but the support from BT might be worth paying for their stuff - depending on the price. If you look around the forums here you will find a few threads on wireless access points.

neiltc13
2006-04-15, 16:28
BT provide ADSL here in the UK. I'd assume that they'll be providing a router with a built in modem, so yes, you could move the iMac anywhere. You'd simply connect the router to the phone outlet and a power outlet, configure it using a wired connection to it, then you'd be free to be wireless - no computer or other device would have to be connected to the router.