PDA

View Full Version : "The revolution will not be televised"

holophile
2004-08-28, 02:40
"The revolution will not be televised"
Unlike the previous announcement for the 4G Apple iPods, the announcement of the new iMac G5s will not be leaked in the upcoming Newsweek cover story. That is not to say that there may not be an article within the actual issue. However, according to the issue's cover (http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/i/msnbc/Sections/Newsweek/Components/Photos/mag/040830_issue/040821_COVER.jpg), there is no mention of any particular Apple news.

MacRGood4U
2004-08-28, 05:39
First off, the Newsweek cover story on the iPod was a one time thing. Time magazine previously did a cover story on the Flat Panel iMac 2 1/2 years ago. It's all about whether Apple wants to do it or not. Since the unveiling will be on a Tuesday, rather then Mac World/WWDC usual Monday Keynote it was fairly obvious that there would not be a story this time around since the Keynote is a day later. No real big deal. Not every new product that Apple brings out gets a newsweekly cover story. So, this time we'll probably not see a "leaked" photo or more detailed specs (Think Secret's specs are not guaranteed to be correct - they have been wrong in the past) until late Monday, if at all. This will make things more exciting for many Mac fans, not knowing exactly what is in store. :)

Escher
2004-08-28, 08:23
As long as the revolution isn't "postponed because of rain..." ;)

The good thing about the Paris keynote is that it will be in the middle of the night for the American public. Unless we get up very early, we should have a pleasant surprise when we fire up our browsers after gettging that first cup of coffee in the morning.

Escher

psmith2.0
2004-08-28, 08:32
Speaking of which, when, exactly, does this keynote take place EST? I know it's not being webcast, but I'd like to know when a good time to wake up and take a pee might be...

:D

A little late-night/early morning browser checking might be in order...

DaveGee
2004-08-28, 08:32
As long as the revolution isn't "postponed because of rain..." ;)

The good thing about the Paris keynote is that it will be in the middle of the night for the American public. Unless we get up very early, we should have a pleasant surprise when we fire up our browsers after gettging that first cup of coffee in the morning.

Escher

Replace coffee with Diet Pepsi and I agree! :smokey:

Dave

MacRGood4U
2004-08-28, 08:55
I believe the Keynote begins about 4 AM EDT so by 6 AM we should have a nice surprise on Apple's website! :)

Barto
2004-08-28, 08:59
Ha! Now you know how I feel!

psmith2.0
2004-08-28, 09:25
Cool. I get up between 6 and 7 anyway. On days like this, I like to launch the browser and hide my eyes, and slowly uncover them from the top and see if the top of Apple's front page has changed, then slowly continue on, slowly revealing the new product. Makes it more fun, like opening a present!

SKMDC
2004-08-28, 09:42
that newsweek pictured is a week old, if there were to be an apple cover (there won't) it would hit newstands sunday/monday.

Windswept
2004-08-28, 15:18
Cool. I get up between 6 and 7 anyway. On days like this, I like to launch the browser and hide my eyes, and slowly uncover them from the top and see if the top of Apple's front page has changed, then slowly continue on, slowly revealing the new product. Makes it more fun, like opening a present!

:lol:

You're great, skaites. :) I do the same thing when I'm reading an exciting book, and I know something good's coming up on a certain page. So, I put my hand over the top of the page, and only allow my eyes to read line-by-revealed-line. I don't want them skipping uncontrollably down to the 'good stuff' lower down on the page.

I have nothing but scorn for these losers who read halfway through a novel, and then read the last page to keep themselves from suffering through any suspense during the rest of the book. Bleah! Cowards. They're the kind of people who would enjoy ruining a surprise party or present for someone. Absolutely beneath contempt! :mad: ;)

curiousuburb
2004-08-28, 20:25
I thought this was going to be a Hugo Chavez (http://www.chavezthefilm.com/index_ex.htm) thread... or maybe a Gil Scott Heron (http://www.eng.morgan.edu/~cjt/poetry/revol.html) reference or talk about its reinterpretation ("...but it will be Webcast") in other recent usage (http://www.google.com/search?q=%22revolution+will+not+be+televised%22&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8)

curiousuburb
2004-08-28, 20:27

Browser refresh as modernist Peek-a-boo... Peek-a-Mac!

staph
2004-08-29, 00:50
Ha! Now you know how I feel!

Ha! I hear you brother.

If the keynote is scheduled for 9am UTC we'll probably have it about tea-time (7-ish?). Hooray for that.

Barto
2004-08-29, 01:12
6 of the clock post meridian. It starts at 10:00 Paris time.

Barto.

staph
2004-08-29, 03:40
Should have time to get home from my honours seminar and make some tea and crumpets, then.

Huzzah!

Maciej
2004-08-29, 09:51
Ugh, I have to take a couple of those.

Should have time to get home from my honours seminar and make some tea and crumpets, then.

Huzzah!

Maybe even jump over a short wall in front of a gas station and turn it into a Ninja roll.

staph
2004-08-29, 10:31
Ugh, I have to take a couple of those.

Sorry mate, the crumpets are all mine. My generosity could probably extend to a cup of tea, I 'spose.

MacRGood4U
2004-08-29, 11:00
Look for a streaming Quicktime replay later in the day at the Apple site and perhaps even on the iTunes site as well.

Maciej
2004-08-29, 11:28
LoL, I was referring to the Honors Seminar, but I will gladly accept a cup of tea.

Gizzer
2004-08-30, 03:33
Well, I'm going in to work & taking my iBook with me. From 9am(BST) until around 10.30am I imagine my thumb and forefinger will have gone numb from pressing Command-R every 30 seconds!!

Does anyone know of any rumour sites that will be posting updates from the expo in realitime? If there isn't, I guess I'll have to stare at the "Apple Store will re-open soon" logo for 90 minutes!

staph
2004-08-30, 04:04
macrumors.com and maccentral.macworld.com often do live-updating text commentaries. There are others — IRC is usually a pretty good way.

Does AN actually have a semi-official channel atm? Anyone?

Barto
2004-08-30, 04:18
"applenova" on iChat is usually active during keynotes.

Barto

psmith2.0
2004-08-30, 14:14
I don't think the iMac is coming tomorrow.

I think that long, wide banner (currently covered in black) is a long, side-by-side shot of the five iPod minis, plus the three new colors.

No, I'm serious!

:)

I think the iMac will be announced in a week or two.

That's my final prediction. New iPod mini colors, some new iPod/car announcements, some sort of remote for AirPort Express and a Tiger demo by Phil. The "one more thing" will be something new and neat, but not the iMac...

Messiahtosh
2004-08-30, 14:21
Interesting comments about the possible iMac G5 announcement and Steve Jobs at www.iPodFrance.com

psmith2.0
2004-08-30, 14:30
Those covered things make you wonder...

Would people hang stuff on a wall, high up? Something's kinda weird here. This will be a VERY paid-attention-to keynote!

:eek:

So many "what if" and "could it be" angles this time around! I'm genuinely excited. Against my better judgement, I'll probably set my alarm to 4am, wake up and follow the sites or see if anyone's in AppleNova on iChat.

:)

I'd like to wake up at 7am surprised, but screw it! I'll go to bed at 10pm so I'll still get 6 hours of sleep...

MacRGood4U
2004-08-30, 14:57
I believe those are just plasma displays which will show Quicktime movies, etc. of the new iMac as well as the usual long "introduction" video with some celebrities waxing how wonderful the iMac is, etc. They're probably covered up because they were shipped that way and they are protected from the dust and dirt at the convention site while under construction. Or Philbot has donated a bunch of LaCie 20" displays to cover his tracks over the hoax? :D

P.S. The "he" comment is probably Phil Schiller. The workmen may not have known his name. If it w as Jobs they most likely would have said Steve or Messer. Jobs. There's no need for him to be there.

psmith2.0
2004-08-30, 15:06
Yeah. I fall into the "anyone thinking Steve Jobs is going to show up on stage is a dipshit" camp. He's recovering and Phil was tapped to do this. End of story.

:rolleyes:

I don't rule out an iSight/iChat appearance, but that would be the extent...and I think that is even pushing it. That wasn't a root canal or mole removal he underwent, after all.

:err:

Messiahtosh
2004-08-30, 15:23
Excitment is building! :eek:

Paul, it is times like these that I just have to sit back and feel good about being a Mac user...we are all bound together by our passion for a better product and computing experience!

I love you all! :D

trailmaster308
2004-08-30, 15:33
Excitment is building!

I love you all! :D

'tosh needs a good shot of testosterone! ;)

Messiahtosh
2004-08-30, 15:49
'tosh needs a good shot of testosterone! ;):::Runs to GNC::: :p

stoo
2004-08-30, 16:04
Or Philbot has donated a bunch of LaCie 20" displays to cover his tracks over the hoax?

Could do with donating some of 'em my way.

I can watch events unfold during regular office hours, from the comfort of my desk. :p

LudwigVan
2004-08-30, 22:45
macrumors.com and maccentral.macworld.com often do live-updating text commentaries. There are others — IRC is usually a pretty good way.

Does AN actually have a semi-official channel atm? Anyone?

ThinkSecret's set to have live text commentary too: "Think Secret plans to offer live coverage of the keynote address for Apple Expo 2004, which will kick off at 4 A.M. ET (10 A.M. local time) at the Palais des Congrès in Paris."

So, one more source to check out in the wee hours (Western hemisphere only).