PDA

View Full Version : intel mac workstation

charlier
2006-04-21, 10:16
I typically use high-end G5 macs and intelPC systems for GIS and image processing. I need to purchase new computers, but prefer to purchase new intel macs. The big issue is that the mac mini or imac's are limited to 2 g ram. Does anyone have any idea or advice about waiting for a intel G5 equivalent model (e.g., intel mac workstation), or just get a intelPC. Thanks

Kit Fisto
2006-04-21, 10:25
I think Apple is waiting for the Intel chip codenamed Conroe and that should be Sept-November time frame.

chucker
2006-04-21, 10:32
The big issue is that the mac mini or imac's are limited to 2 g ram.

Not if you use 2 GB sticks each, but those don't come cheap.

Luca
2006-04-21, 10:34
Well, I do believe the Power Macs have been the most competitive PPC Macs for some time now. Four cores, 2.5 GHz, maximum RAM of 16 GB... they're pretty nice. I can see wanting to wait for the Intel version of the Power Mac, but it's not like the iBook/MacBook where the PPC model is really somewhat disappointing and in dire need of an upgrade.

charlier
2006-04-23, 21:03
I agree with everyone. I am very happy with my G5, but I need to run WinXP on a fast machine with lots of memory. I think that Apple is waiting for Intel to annouce its new chipset, so it might be about 3-4 months. I just have to get a new computer soon. I might be wrong, but I am not sure that the macmini/imac supports more than 2 gb ram. Plus, it might be an inappropriate to use a imac for image processing. I will be pushing the machine way to much. Many files are 1.8-1.0 GB; with more than one file open at a time. It looks like I will buy a Dell...
Thanks

neiltc13
2006-04-24, 05:11
I agree with everyone. I am very happy with my G5, but I need to run WinXP on a fast machine with lots of memory. I think that Apple is waiting for Intel to annouce its new chipset, so it might be about 3-4 months. I just have to get a new computer soon. I might be wrong, but I am not sure that the macmini/imac supports more than 2 gb ram. Plus, it might be an inappropriate to use a imac for image processing. I will be pushing the machine way to much. Many files are 1.8-1.0 GB; with more than one file open at a time. It looks like I will buy a Dell...
Thanks

Are you forgetting that Boot Camp is a "time limited" beta? Windows XP support via Mac OS X won't be possible in the future without buying 10.5, and Apple could just disable boot camp on everyone's machines at any given time. I hope this doesn't happen until Leopard is out.

doublem9876
2006-04-24, 05:50
Wait for the Intel PowerMac

WrestleEwe
2006-04-24, 07:03
It looks like I will buy a Dell...
Thanks

In that case I would like to suggest that you go to a trusted local mom 'n pop shop. Or even better, the IT store at your local University.

I recently bought an Athlon X2, BTO, fully configured w/ 2GB/750GB (system only, no KVM) for less than 800 euro at my local uni store. And I know for a fact that I will get a lot better customer support there than at any big reseller out there.

I do have to note that I always try to support small businesses whenever I can.

OTOH, you should always make sure they can be trusted and that is it not some cheap store that's going to be gone in 1 years time...

Luca
2006-04-24, 08:20
If you're in the Twin Cities area in Minnesota, my brother will build a computer for you for a lot less than what you'd get at Dell. When you order a custom-built PC like that, all the money you spend on the box goes into what YOU want.

macleod
2006-04-24, 09:15
Custom built-PC's are pretty cool. I built one for myself and it was pretty cheap even with the high end components I put in it. The only downside is that you have to deal with Windows XP, which is why I am going to sell that and get a 20" iMac as soon as they start the summer savings at the apple store!