PDA

View Full Version : iMac G5 is the cause of dual 1.8 GHz G5 delay.

Quagmire
2004-08-28, 19:03
TS is reporting that the 20" imac G5 with the 1.8 Ghz G5 is causing the delays for the Powermac dual 1.8 Ghz G5. TS also reports that the dual 2.5 GHz G5 is falling short of demand. For new orders not expected to ship intill late September or early October. Also the 6800 ultra being pushed back to October for shipments. But, the 30" display is still expected to ship in September. Apple is readying a security update.

PS: I believe it is still worth waiting for the monster if I had the money for it.

http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0408briefly.html

psmith2.0
2004-08-28, 20:03
I'd love to see Apple actually release an all-new, highly-anticipated product and have quantity ready to go. Think back, if you will, over the past three years and think of all the "announcing today, shipping in (fill in the blank)..." releases.

:(

Those seem to outweigh the "announcing today, AND we've got a shitload on hand...order three!" scenario.

:D

Hopefully this iMac is stocked, locked and ready to rock, and anyone who wants want actually has it on their desk within a week or so. Would be NICE, considering the G5s, Xserves, iPod minis, 30" display, some reports of PowerBook delays/waits, etc.

:rolleyes:

Are the white iPods about the only thing Apple has consistently predictable decent quantity of? Seems like it...

torifile
2004-08-28, 21:36
I'm pretty sure that this drying up of iMacs in the channel during the past couple months is an indication that they've been storing them up. I'm almost positive of it. Apple's been dinged over and over about not having supply and perpetual delays in getting machines out. I'd put my money on the new iMac being available (in some form, at least), immediately.

Eugene
2004-08-28, 22:08
I'm pretty sure that this drying up of iMacs in the channel during the past couple months is an indication that they've been storing them up. I'm almost positive of it. Apple's been dinged over and over about not having supply and perpetual delays in getting machines out. I'd put my money on the new iMac being available (in some form, at least), immediately.
Uh, why would the drying up of previous-generation iMacs in the channel have any effect on the volume availability of next-gen iMacs? Apple didn't even have anything to show us when they announced the iMac shortage.

For the first batch of orders, I think a shipping timeframe of 4-6 weeks is a lot more likely than 5-7 days...

Quagmire
2004-08-28, 22:13
It is a good thing apple is stocking up on imacs. But, will it be enough? Only time will tell. Has apple ever put consumers in front of pro's before? Apple is actually stocking up on a consumer machine. It also makes you think what would you rather have. Moto with there horrible management and devotion to the G4. Or will you rather have IBM with their dedication to the PPC 970 development but, have supply issues. It is a tough choice.

Messiahtosh
2004-08-29, 02:10
It is a good thing apple is stocking up on imacs. But, will it be enough? Only time will tell. Has apple ever put consumers in front of pro's before? Apple is actually stocking up on a consumer machine. It also makes you think what would you rather have. Moto with there horrible management and devotion to the G4. Or will you rather have IBM with their dedication to the PPC 970 development but, have supply issues. It is a tough choice.It's not really a tough choice at all. The G5 has real potential, with the Fishkill plant and all the money that is being thrown into developing the G5, it will end up alright in the end. The current issues of supply are just speedbumps (pun intended) in the long road ahead.

psmith2.0
2004-08-29, 07:45
I'm with Eugene on this. Not having any G4 iMacs around doesn't have any bearing on the NEW, unseen iMac. I'll bet you a dollar this new iMac will be the same thing. Some early stock for the quick and brave to snag, but then - due to the G5 "problems" (could we just get a #%@#^ chip that works and can make enough of, just once?!?) - there will be thread after thread of "I ordered my iMac G5 immediately after the keynote...it's almost Halloween and I STILL don't have it!"

;)

As much faith and confidence I have in Apple on the OS, software, product design and overall "vibe" front, I have next to none on the shipping, supply, business-oriented and marketing ends. They've got a rather piss-poor history in those specific areas, so I think my concerns are totally valid.

Sigh... :(

BenRoethig
2004-08-29, 08:31
It's not really a tough choice at all. The G5 has real potential, with the Fishkill plant and all the money that is being thrown into developing the G5, it will end up alright in the end. The current issues of supply are just speedbumps (pun intended) in the long road ahead.

Everyone is having Yield problems with 90nm chips. The transition from 130 to 90 was a lot harder than anyone expected.

torifile
2004-08-29, 13:57
Uh, why would the drying up of previous-generation iMacs in the channel have any effect on the volume availability of next-gen iMacs? Apple didn't even have anything to show us when they announced the iMac shortage.

For the first batch of orders, I think a shipping timeframe of 4-6 weeks is a lot more likely than 5-7 days...
Because they switched over their production lines to the new iMacs earlier and the shortage of G5 processors prevented them from getting them out back in July? The whole point of my theory is that they didn't want to pre-announce something and make people wait for it. They've only got a limited amount of production line space so they used it to ramp up production so that there WOULDN'T be a 4-6 week wait.

Messiahtosh
2004-08-29, 15:37
Everyone is having Yield problems with 90nm chips. The transition from 130 to 90 was a lot harder than anyone expected.Thank you Steve Jobs, I think we all know that.

Anyway, while were on the subject, the main point in my previous response was to say that the G5 is the processor of Apple's future....just as SJ has said too.

Messiahtosh
2004-08-29, 15:41
I'm with Eugene on this. Not having any G4 iMacs around doesn't have any bearing on the NEW, unseen iMac. I'll bet you a dollar this new iMac will be the same thing. Some early stock for the quick and brave to snag, but then - due to the G5 "problems" (could we just get a #%@#^ chip that works and can make enough of, just once?!?) - there will be thread after thread of "I ordered my iMac G5 immediately after the keynote...it's almost Halloween and I STILL don't have it!"

;)

As much faith and confidence I have in Apple on the OS, software, product design and overall "vibe" front, I have next to none on the shipping, supply, business-oriented and marketing ends. They've got a rather piss-poor history in those specific areas, so I think my concerns are totally valid.

Sigh... :( Apple's supply management has not really been terrible until lately, even now it's not actually Apple's own fault. The people they are buying from have their heads up their asses and cant get the necessary volume to meet demand. It is not Apple's fault for "underestimating" demand, which in the business world is better to do than to do the opposite.

Marketing is one of Apple's brilliant strengths. I don't really want to get in to it, but the reason that people are buying the iPod and more Macs now than in over 5 years, is because of great, intelligent advertising.

Apple does not just preach to the converted, they primarily speak to those who are interested. No matter what, there is no ad agency in the world that can MAKE someone become interested in technology...except for maybe Apple's. They got me, that's for sure...and probably everyone here.

torifile
2004-08-29, 15:59
Apple's supply management has not really been terrible until lately, even now it's not actually Apple's own fault. The people they are buying from have their heads up their asses and cant get the necessary volume to meet demand. It is not Apple's fault for "underestimating" demand, which in the business world is better to do than to do the opposite.

Marketing is one of Apple's brilliant strengths. I don't really want to get in to it, but the reason that people are buying the iPod and more Macs now than in over 5 years, is because of great, intelligent advertising.

Apple does not just preach to the converted, they primarily speak to those who are interested. No matter what, there is no ad agency in the world that can MAKE someone become interested in technology...except for maybe Apple's. They got me, that's for sure...and probably everyone here.
Pass the crack pipe, Messiahtosh. I can't believe you'd claim that Apple is good at marketing. I think their iPod success is actually a product of their poor marketing skills. The iPod is a GREAT gadget and Apple's poor marketing has resulted in a sort of enigmatic quality around it. That's what leads people to it. If anything Apple's marketing is sort of an "anti-marketing" scheme. Don't actually TELL anyone what your stuff does and make them wonder. Maybe that's their strategy. :err:

Messiahtosh
2004-08-29, 16:05
Pass the crack pipe, Messiahtosh. I can't believe you'd claim that Apple is good at marketing. I think their iPod success is actually a product of their poor marketing skills. The iPod is a GREAT gadget and Apple's poor marketing has resulted in a sort of enigmatic quality around it. That's what leads people to it. If anything Apple's marketing is sort of an "anti-marketing" scheme. Don't actually TELL anyone what your stuff does and make them wonder. Maybe that's their strategy. :err:Pure ignorance. People are not just Macaddicts because of the product's merit, they also love it because it's "cool."

Many people would agree with me...in fact, Apple is one of the most recognized brands in the world, according to Forbes.

Crack pipe? Shut the hell up.

Quagmire
2004-08-29, 16:51
Pass the crack pipe, Messiahtosh. I can't believe you'd claim that Apple is good at marketing. I think their iPod success is actually a product of their poor marketing skills. The iPod is a GREAT gadget and Apple's poor marketing has resulted in a sort of enigmatic quality around it. That's what leads people to it. If anything Apple's marketing is sort of an "anti-marketing" scheme. Don't actually TELL anyone what your stuff does and make them wonder. Maybe that's their strategy. :err:

I have to agree with Messiahtosh here. The ipod was a perfect marketing tactic to advertise the Mac. People thought that since the ipod was so easy to use the Mac would too. So they went to the apple store looked at a mac and hopefully liked it and bought one. The ipod was a hidden ad for the mac.

Messiahtosh
2004-08-29, 17:10
Don't actually TELL anyone what your stuff does and make them wonder. Maybe that's their strategy.:err:And another thing about your assbackward POS post: since when is advertising supposed to TELL people what your stuff does? Print ads do that.

TV ads are meant to SHOW the product and say a couple important words about it such as, "For Mac and PC," and also possibly list the price.

Ads are meant to peak the curiosity of those who are interested in the subject at hand, or to fuel the hype of a product that is already ubiquitous.

Luca
2004-08-29, 17:23
I agree with your assessment of the differences between print and TV ads, Messiahtosh, but please calm down.

LudwigVan
2004-08-29, 17:23
And another thing about your assbackward POS post...

Laying it on a little thick there, aren't you?

Messiahtosh
2004-08-29, 17:24
I agree with your assessment of the differences between print and TV ads, Messiahtosh, but please calm down.lol sorry, I get worked up sometimes. It's all on account of the eye. :lol:

Anyone remember that SNL skit? :p

aswitcher
2004-08-29, 17:58
TS is reporting that the 20" imac G5 with the 1.8 Ghz G5 is causing the delays for the Powermac dual 1.8 Ghz G5. TS also reports that the dual 2.5 GHz G5 is falling short of demand. For new orders not expected to ship intill late September or early October. Also the 6800 ultra being pushed back to October for shipments. But, the 30" display is still expected to ship in September. Apple is readying a security update.

PS: I believe it is still worth waiting for the monster if I had the money for it.

http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0408briefly.html

I expect delays because I am in Oz and we see things anything up to 4 weeks (or in the case of the mini 7 months) later.

If there are known constraints then I wont be talkign potential switchers into ordering a machine that may not be available (especially when not stock config) for some months. Hopefulyl by Christmas they will have themselves sorted out...

DMBand0026
2004-08-29, 20:09
Marketing is one of Apple's brilliant strengths. I don't really want to get in to it, but the reason that people are buying the iPod and more Macs now than in over 5 years, is because of great, intelligent advertising

Apple, marketing, and brilliant do not belong in the same sentence. Apparently you missed when Apple doesn't advertise at all. I have to agree with Torifile here

psmith2.0
2004-08-29, 20:12
Me too. Then again, you all knew where I stand on this particular issue, huh? :p

Messiahtosh
2004-08-29, 20:24
Apple, marketing, and brilliant do not belong in the same sentence. Apparently you missed when Apple doesn't advertise at all. I have to agree with Torifile hereLook at the number of Mac freak sites there are, compare that to the amount of Dell Insiders and Dimension Secret sites there are.... :rolleyes:

Apple does a damn good job of marketing. Look at the brilliance of their iPod advertising, their Quicktime promo videos, their billboards, and their Apple Stores. They do a tremendous job....NewsWeek, Time, Business Week covers....amazing.

Been watching the music award show tonight? Millions of people have, and in doing so they have seen iPod commercials.

psmith2.0
2004-08-29, 20:40
Chris, it's moments like these that I realize you're simply on a mass chain-yanking mission of your own design. That's a bit over-the-top and gushing for something so mediocre and still.

The iPod is about the only thing getting anywhere near the level of exposure and attention you speak of. You know damn well the G5, the laptops, the OS, the iApps (and, most likely, the new iMac G5) get basically no push from Apple...certainly nowhere near that of the iPod.

In fact, the things you speak of (coverage by the mainstream press, billboards, etc.) are the dancing silhouettes or iPod/iTunes/iTMS-related stuff!

When's the last time you saw a spot for anything else? That didn't suck?

Exactly...

Messiahtosh
2004-08-29, 20:43
Chris, it's moments like these that I realize you're simply on a mass chain-yanking mission of your own design. That's a bit over-the-top and gushing for something so mediocre and still.

The iPod is about the only thing getting anywhere near the level of exposure and attention you speak of. You know damn well the G5, the laptops, the OS, the iApps (and, most likely, the new iMac G5) get basically no push from Apple...certainly nowhere near that of the iPod.You are absurd for saying that I'm out to yank chains. My comment is completely valid, and I stand by it. Without the amazing marketing that Apple has, there wouldnt even be a Mac platform anymore.

And you show your misunderstanding of the strategy when you say that the new iMac and all the other products COULD be pushed in a way like the iPod has. The iPod is a consumer-based product, and not just that but also somethng that can be bought on impulse.

The iPod is also responsible for advertising for the rest of Apple's products. When people go to Apple.com to see the iPod, they are surrounded by every product Apple has.

Tell me what they could do to CONVERT people? I'm all ears.

The only thing they could do to get the word out, is to employ wide-eyed fanatics like us to go around city streets and airports, handing out flyers to random people... :no:

---------

You do not seem to understand that what Apple does with marketing is so much more effective in solidifying Apple as THE brand in computing. And look how wonderfully it is starting to work! Apple is now #2 to Dell in planned PC purchases. Check out MacSurfer for all of the success stories that Apple is having on College campuses and beyond.

AppleTurns had an interesting article the other week about Apple's market share. If you look at the markets in which Apple actually has a presence, they are either competing very well or dominating.

psmith2.0
2004-08-29, 20:47
You are absurd for saying that I'm out to yank chains.

Heavens, you're right. Where would I ever get such an idea... :\

Unless I'm losing my tater, I think I recall some instances where you sounded like a pscates "echo chamber" on this particular topic. I know I've heard you take Apple to task for their marketing.

:confused:

Then again, maybe that was NittanyLion, Macintosh or your now-banned Nova-based alter ego? I can't keep up with all you guys...

It's too jarring how you veer from "perpetually almost banned" wrench-in-the-works one day, to such a serious, know-everything Arbitor of All Things Apple a few days later, soundly castigating everyone for "not getting it". I can't make that leap...

:lol:

Messiahtosh
2004-08-29, 20:50
Heavens, you're right. Where would I ever get such an idea... :\

Unless I'm losing my tater, I think I recall some instances where you sounded like a pscates "echo chamber" on this particular topic. I know I've heard you take Apple to task for their marketing.

Then again, maybe that was NittanyLion, Macintosh or your now-banned Nova-based alter ego? I can't keep up with all you guys...

:(People change their minds, when they realize the truth especially.

Stop jerking around by side-stepping the facts and read a little bit, maybe?

LudwigVan
2004-08-29, 20:54
Look at the number of Mac freak sites there are, compare that to the amount of Dell Insiders and Dimension Secret sites there are.... :rolleyes:

That's not the result of marketing - that's evanglization. The onus of creation and momentum there is borne by Apple users, not Apple the corporate entity nor its marketing division.

Apple does a damn good job of marketing. Look at the brilliance of their iPod advertising, their Quicktime promo videos, their billboards, and their Apple Stores. They do a tremendous job....NewsWeek, Time, Business Week covers....amazing.

Been watching the music award show tonight? Millions of people have, and in doing so they have seen iPod commercials.

The exception that proves the general rule, IMHO.

ast3r3x
2004-08-29, 20:59
Me too. Then again, you all knew where I stand on this particular issue, huh? :p

What do you mean 'scates? You don't like apple marketing? I'm not sure how to feel about that, I've always kinda figured you as a stead fast faithful of it. Care to explain, since I've never ever read anything negative from you on the topic?

I'm not sure I can put enough :lol: to describe it.

Messiahtosh
2004-08-29, 21:00
You know Apple is doing something right when Puff Daddy attends the VMAs with a diamons encrusted iPod. :cool:

torifile
2004-08-29, 21:04
And another thing about your assbackward POS post: since when is advertising supposed to TELL people what your stuff does? Print ads do that.

So t.v. ads aren't advertising?

And as I recall your earlier post praising Apple's marketing, you made no distinction between print and tv ads. You said Apple's marketing is brilliant. You didn't distinguish between the two.

TV ads are meant to SHOW the product and say a couple important words about it such as, "For Mac and PC," and also possibly list the price.

And what t.v. ads are you talking about? The iPod ads? What else is there? It takes real brilliance to hype an already hyped product. BTW, I'm not knocking Apple's iPod campaign. I don't think it's the greatest in the world but it's not bad. Far far from brilliant when coupled with Apple's other, non-existent advertising.

Ads are meant to peak the curiosity of those who are interested in the subject at hand, or to fuel the hype of a product that is already ubiquitous.

Marketing major, are you? What about how bad apple.com (http://forums.applenova.com/showthread.php?t=1540&highlight=apple.com) is? Gimme a break, man. Lay off the kool aid. We all know how great Apple stuff is, but the vast majority of people don't. Advertising is, above all, about getting people to know about your products. Apple fails miserably in that regard.

psmith2.0
2004-08-29, 21:04
Regarding P Daddy Puff Diddy-Widdy and his diamond-enrusted iPod, that's not Apple marketing...that's something else entirely.

And don't tell me to "read a little", you insolent smart ass. Just because you're not on the receiving end of another verbal beating shouldn't give you such a smug, arrogant demeanor, which you've exhibited thoughout this thread to anyone who's dared to question or dispute your opinion (me, torifile, etc.).

As someone requested above, settle down and lose the 'tude. It's not becoming at all. And it doesn't make you look worldly and "into it" as simply mean and gratuitously snide. Your own worst enemy...

Relax.

torifile
2004-08-29, 21:06
You know Apple is doing something right when Puff Daddy attends the VMAs with a diamons encrusted iPod. :cool:
What Apple is doing right is putting out kick-ass products. That has nothing to do with how well they advertise them. Anyway, we're way OT here... Maybe one of our all-powerful mods or admins could split this off into a separate thread?

psmith2.0
2004-08-29, 21:09
Nah, no need, torifile. Back on topic...

Just another delay and now we know why (the iMacs are getting a lot of them). Wish they just had plenty to go around, then it would be no problem.

Messiahtosh
2004-08-29, 21:12
Regarding P Daddy Puff Diddy-Widdy and his diamond-enrusted iPod, that's not Apple marketing...that's something else entirely.

And don't tell me to "read a little", you insolent smart ass. Just because you're not on the receiving end of another verbal beating shouldn't give you such a smug, arrogant demeanor, which you've exhibited thoughout this thread to anyone who's dared to question or dispute your opinion (me, torifile, etc.).

As someone requested above, settle down and lose the 'tude. It's not becoming at all. And it doesn't make you look worldly and "into it" as simply mean and gratuitously snide. Your own worst enemy...

Relax.

:(You calling me an insolent smart ass is not becoming of you at all, especially when I was not being insolent or smart, I was correcting errors in the understanding of what marketing is. I also stated, and quite accurately, that Apple's marketing is highly effective. I get frustrated by armchair, know-it-all marketers.

If you know how to do it better than Apple does, why not apply for a job there?

DMBand0026
2004-08-29, 21:25
Okay, this is getting very very old. The fact of the matter is that Apple's advertising and marketing is woefully inadequate. iPod advertising included. Sure, the iPod is king, has been since the 1st Gen, and probably always will be, but where do computers come in?

Who out there knows that OS X is the best OS? Only about 2% of the world. Who knows that in a straight up comparison Macs are considerably less expensive to own than PCs? Only about 2% of the world. Who knows that Macs don't have viruses? Only about 2% of the world. Who knows that Macs are just superior in almost every single way? Only about 2% of the world.

Why?

Sorry and crappy advertising, or lack thereof. Point is, they do advertise, but they've got the world's attention now with the dancing silhouettes and aren't doing a darn thing. They're up on the world's stage without anything to say.

Sad, isn't it?

Messiahtosh
2004-08-29, 21:33
:no:

LudwigVan
2004-08-29, 21:35
You calling me an insolent smart ass is not becoming of you at all, especially when I was not being insolent or smart...

Judging from some of your replied earlier in the thread, I for one must disagree.

I also stated, and quite accurately, that Apple's marketing is highly effective.

Yes, you did, though "accurately" is debatable.

I get frustrated by armchair, know-it-all marketers.

Many would, I imagine. But would you consider yourself the same? No, seriously. Vigilant self-awareness is a virtue.

A specious comeback. Nobody said they were marketing gods who had all the answers.

alcimedes
2004-08-29, 21:38
considering that i STILL run into people who ask "Apple? Oh, are they still in business?" when bringing up new computer options, I would say that yes, Apple's marketing is inadequete.

Outside of the iPod, Apple has virtually no mindshare. It's getting better in the geek world now that they're Unix based, but it's still no where near where it should be.

Of course, seeing as they can't meet supply demands on a lot of their products as is, perhaps they need to work on supply before they try to increase demand.

psmith2.0
2004-08-29, 21:39
You calling me an insolent smart ass is not becoming of you at all, especially when I was not being insolent or smart, I was correcting errors in the understanding of what marketing is. I also stated, and quite accurately, that Apple's marketing is highly effective. I get frustrated by armchair, know-it-all marketers.

Because it would just be a "job" then, smart ass? It's much more fun looking in. If you worked there, this stuff would probably lose its appeal, shine and fun. You'd be subject to all the crap that makes a job a job.

I've honestly never harbored the desire to work there. I wouldn't mind working in the industry in some way (I'd rather work at Macworld magazine or at a peripheral company making Mac stuff, rather than Apple itself).

Just holds no appeal to me because I wouldn't want to know it from that angle. That simple.

Furthermore, what's the "if you know how to do it better..." stuff? Did I say that? Did I go on about how I know everything? Did I make it sound like I have the inside score? No, don't think I did.

Messiahtosh
2004-08-29, 21:43
You're all right, Apple is languishing and stagnating, people don't know anything about Apple and they cant sell a computer to save their poor, poor company.

The fact is, things are swinging in a positive direction for the company right now, and more and more people are being turned onto the Mac at this time more than any other, except for maybe the mid 80's.

Messiahtosh
2004-08-29, 21:45
Because it would just be a "job" then, smart ass? It's much more fun looking in. If you worked there, this stuff would probably lose its appeal, shine and fun. You'd be subject to all the crap that makes a job a job.

I've honestly never harbored the desire to work there. I wouldn't mind working in the industry in some way (I'd rather work at Macworld magazine or at a peripheral company making Mac stuff, rather than Apple itself).

Just holds no appeal to me because I wouldn't want to know it from that angle. That simple.

Furthermore, what's the "if you know how to do it better..." stuff? Did I say that? Did I go on about how I know everything? Did I make it sound like I have the inside score? No, don't think I did.If you dont know what's wrong with it, then maybe there isnt anything wrong?

Ryan
2004-08-29, 21:48
Messiahtosh arguments: Always good for a night's entertainment.

:D

psmith2.0
2004-08-29, 21:48
I don't think Apple is languishing and stagnating at all. I think it's a pretty neat time. They're on their game with the OS, the iApps, their hardware. They rule the digital music field and make the coolest stuff I know.

I wouldn't be owning and using their stuff if I thought otherwise. No one here would, I'm betting.

So we're either "onboard with Messiahtosh 100%" or we're dismal whiners, thinking Apple is languishing and stagnating? Kinda a bit "black and white" there, isn't it?

How about those of us comfortably in between, those of us honestly thrilled with their offerings, BUT would love to see more and more people aware of their stuff and using it (because we think it's a superior product/solution)? Where do we fit into that mix?

torifile
2004-08-29, 21:51
You're all right, Apple is languishing and stagnating, people don't know anything about Apple and they cant sell a computer to save their poor, poor company.

The fact is, things are swinging in a positive direction for the company right now, and more and more people are being turned onto the Mac at this time more than any other, except for maybe the mid 80's.
You seemed to have misconstrued my (and others) posts. I never said that Apple was stagnating. I said their advertising is bad. Don't conflate the two issues. I know Apple is doing pretty well right now. Luckily all business doesn't revolve around good advertising. You've not shown a single example of good advertising outside of the iPod. I'd show an example of bad advertising but I can't because there isn't any advertising to speak of.

Messiahtosh
2004-08-29, 21:59
I want more people using Macs and I'm very passionate about that belief/good cause. I just dont think that Apple is doing a bad job of spreading the word of their offerings. I dont even remember a good Microsoft XP commercial...

Eugene
2004-08-29, 21:59
Because they switched over their production lines to the new iMacs earlier and the shortage of G5 processors prevented them from getting them out back in July? The whole point of my theory is that they didn't want to pre-announce something and make people wait for it. They've only got a limited amount of production line space so they used it to ramp up production so that there WOULDN'T be a 4-6 week wait.
You don't reconfigure a factory to produce a new product when the components are clearly not yet available. They didn't want to pre-announce something and make people wait for it? This is precisely what they have done. Even worse than normal, they don't even have the previous generation models to sell!

No sane business-person would utilize this 'strategy' intentionally.

I fully expect a 4-6 week for the new iMac when it becomes official.

torifile
2004-08-29, 22:01
You don't reconfigure a factory to produce a new product when the components are clearly not yet available. They didn't want to pre-announce something an make people wait for it? This is precisely what they have done. Even worse than normal, they don't even have the previous generation models to sell!

You may be right. We'll see soon enough.

psmith2.0
2004-08-29, 22:03
I dont even remember a good Microsoft XP commercial...

When you own the world - and are the 800 pound gorilla most everyone has to play nice with - do you even have to? What do they care, it's coming on all new machines at Office Depot, Best Buy, Circuit City, etc. whether people like it or not, you know?

I'd imagine Apple is in a bit of a different position on all this than Microsoft. One doesn't really have to try, one has to try quite a bit harder.

Microsoft could release a USB-enabled bear turd, but if people needed it to run their PCs properly, they'd rush to get one. Apple can release the coolest, neatest gear and software imaginable (and they do), but if my Mom, your aunt, torifile's sister, etc. aren't aware of it or give it serious consideration the next time they're in the market for a computer...that's "marketing" at play.

I can't help that, Chris. There's only so much I can do or tell those around me.

Eugene
2004-08-29, 22:04
Apple's iPod marketing is the only thing they've gone all-out with. The Powell Street BART station has wall-to-wall iPod posters around every corner. That seems pretty standard in major metro areas. Doesn't matter if you're in New York, Atlanta, Toronto, etc. Those posters are everywhere.

But sure, the iPod does advertise itself. TV characters have iPods. Celebs rave about their iPods. The publicity comes from all directions. In this case, why should Apple pour extra money into marketing when it can't even make iPods fast enough?

Have you seen the new HP iPod ads? They're borderline Engrish!

http://www.macminute.com/2004/08/27/hpprintads

"You are making of your own playlist fantastic!"
"You downroad feverishly!"

torifile
2004-08-29, 22:08
So you're saying that you don't have to have a good advertising campaign to sell stuff?

Messiahtosh
2004-08-29, 22:11
So you're saying that you don't have to have a good advertising campaign to sell stuff?For some products, no.

torifile
2004-08-29, 22:13
For some products, no.
Like the iPod?

Messiahtosh
2004-08-29, 22:14
When you own the world - and are the 800 pound gorilla most everyone has to play nice with - do you even have to? What do they care, it's coming on all new machines at Office Depot, Best Buy, Circuit City, etc. whether people like it or not, you know?

I'd imagine Apple is in a bit of a different position on all this than Microsoft. One doesn't really have to try, one has to try quite a bit harder.

Microsoft could release a USB-enabled bear turd, but if people needed it to run their PCs properly, they'd rush to get one. Apple can release the coolest, neatest gear and software imaginable (and they do), but if my Mom, your aunt, torifile's sister, etc. aren't aware of it or give it serious consideration the next time they're in the market for a computer...that's "marketing" at play.

I can't help that, Chris. There's only so much I can do or tell those around me.

:(Ok, I see where you're coming from obviously, but I dont know (if anyone does) what Apple can do about it.

trailmaster308
2004-08-29, 22:15

I liked the Office XP commercial of people spinning their tablets on the floor and dancing around while the NFL announcer was talking...kinda funny if you ask me. Just my OPINION!!!

psmith2.0
2004-08-29, 22:16
...but I dont know (if anyone does) what Apple can do about it.

Uh, advertise? Market? What in the hell have we been talking about for the past 20 posts? And you tell me to "read a little"...

You were so busy being a wise-ass meanie, you didn't see the answers and other tidbits of truth and wisdom others and myself added to the discussion.

Messiahtosh
2004-08-29, 22:47
Uh, advertise? Market? What in the hell have we been talking about for the past 20 posts? And you tell me to "read a little"...

You were so busy being a wise-ass meanie, you didn't see the answers and other tidbits of truth and wisdom others and myself added to the discussion.As in specifics, wise-ass.

BenRoethig
2004-08-29, 23:15
Okay, this is getting very very old. The fact of the matter is that Apple's advertising and marketing is woefully inadequate. iPod advertising included. Sure, the iPod is king, has been since the 1st Gen, and probably always will be, but where do computers come in?

Who out there knows that OS X is the best OS? Only about 2% of the world. Who knows that in a straight up comparison Macs are considerably less expensive to own than PCs? Only about 2% of the world. Who knows that Macs don't have viruses? Only about 2% of the world. Who knows that Macs are just superior in almost every single way? Only about 2% of the world.

Why?

Sorry and crappy advertising, or lack thereof. Point is, they do advertise, but they've got the world's attention now with the dancing silhouettes and aren't doing a darn thing. They're up on the world's stage without anything to say.

Sad, isn't it?

If Apple was a PC maker, they wouldn't be selling too many more computers than they are now. Lets face it, Apple does not sell to the mainstream. They sell to an audience that makes up a small percentage of the public amd wants something more than a black box. Many PC users I have talked to have a favorable view on the software side of the Mac and an unfavorable of the hardware. They would rather have a somputer that suits their needs with an inferior operating system than a computer that doesn't with a superior operating system. I can't count how many times I've beem told by a PC user they'd buy OSX in a heartbeat if it could run on their ugly practical x86 box. No amount of advertising is going to change this. The iPod is a practical mainstream consumer product and dominates the market because it fulfills the needs of users.

Eugene
2004-08-31, 04:55
Three to four weeks. :p

torifile
2004-08-31, 06:18
Three to four weeks. :p
It's not 4-6 like YOU said. ;)

Fine. You win. :)

But do you get a quick reply button named in your honor?

Eugene
2004-08-31, 08:16
It's not 4-6 like YOU said. ;)

Fine. You win. :)

But do you get a quick reply button named in your honor?
Oh, 3-4 weeks is what they're saying now, but we all know what happened with the 2.5 GHz Power Mac G5...

The 30" Cinema Display was supposed to be shipping in "August" too. Now it says "Late October." ;)

3-4 weeks on the Apple Store probably means it's closer to 6-8 weeks!

2004-08-31, 12:16
Have you seen the new HP iPod ads? They're borderline Engrish!

http://www.macminute.com/2004/08/27/hpprintads

"You are making of your own playlist fantastic!"
"You downroad feverishly!"Now THAT made me LOL. :lol:

torifile
2004-09-17, 09:52
You don't reconfigure a factory to produce a new product when the components are clearly not yet available. They didn't want to pre-announce something and make people wait for it? This is precisely what they have done. Even worse than normal, they don't even have the previous generation models to sell!

I think I was closer on the ship date than you Eugene. People have gotten them already. ~2 weeks from announcement.:p