PDA

View Full Version : Newb with questions: What else is new?

Autodafe
2004-08-28, 20:27
Hey all got 2 questions for you fine people.

Last year I got the 12'' Powerbook G4 for school. It was my first real Mac product and I love it. But lately I've been thinking

1.) Right now I'm still using Jaguar. I had bought my Powerbook right before Pather came out and last year I passed on buying it. Now with Tiger coming out early next year, is it worth getting Panther now or just wait for Tiger. I'm thinking of waiting for Tiger but just wanted a second opinion.

2.) When I bought my laptop I had got a 12'' and packed it with as much RAM as it could (640 MB). Recently I learned from reading some message forums people recommend getting RAM from somewhere else and not from Apple. Why is that? Is it just because of the price or is there quality issues?

Thanks in advance.

_Ω_
2004-08-28, 20:43
Personally if you have been happy with Jag I would stick with it until Tiger is released.

As for Apple RAM it tends to be high Q which is good, but also very expensive. You can get comparable RAM from Crucial and Ramseeker at a much reduced price.

:)

Brad
2004-08-28, 22:04
1: I'd say wait. :) If you've managed this long with 10.2, a few more months won't kill you. Plus, waiting for 10.4 will give you more "feature shock" and "wow" factor. :p

2: People suggest buying the minimum amount of RAM from Apple because it's expensive from Apple. This is because Apple has contracts with RAM manufacturers at a set price. This is good for us when RAM prices go on the rise, but most often prices actually drop and make Apple's prices seem inflated.

RAM from Crucial.com, for example, is put through rigorous testing and has a warranty, yet is usually significantly cheaper than the RAM you'd get in a built-to-order computer from Apple. Crucial even has free shipping right now!