PDA

View Full Version : Should we be wary of Google?

torifile
2004-08-28, 21:31
I was over at ars reading their article on Longhorn's shipping date and the removal of WinFS from the OS.

A couple of users mentioned google's advances into the desktop realm. This was the first I'd heard about this, but it seems to shed some light on google's acquisition of Picasa and its subsequent free status. They've got Blogger and now gmail. What's next?

Are they going to come out with their own OS? A new file system? How will this affect us? Any thoughts?

curiousuburb
2004-08-28, 21:38
Thanks to their frenzied IPO, gazillions in funding... but a new group of 'owners' to answer to as well.

DMBand0026
2004-08-29, 11:57
Why is everyone so scared of google? Not saying you are Torifile, but there are people out there with entire websites and ad campaigns devoted to bringing google down because they search the web well. It's just stupid.

If they come out with an OS and a file system, most likely it won't do well, or it will remain a niche just like Linux based systems and similar to OS X (although hopefully that won't be the case forever).

Point is, people are looking for something to be scared of, and I can think of a lot better things to worry about than google.

Luca
2004-08-29, 12:03
Point is, people are looking for something to be scared of, and I can think of a lot better things to worry about than google.

That's just what they WANT you to think!!! :lol:

Moogs
2004-08-29, 12:18
torifile: Maybe you'd rather there be an MSN bar at the top of your Safari window? ;)

DMBand0026
2004-08-29, 13:30
That's just what they WANT you to think!!! :lol:

Fine, let Google scan my brain. All they're gonna find is a lot of pictures of naked chicks, some medical knowledge, and maybe a guitar or two that I lust after.

Crap, now they don't even need to scan my brain, cause I just said it out loud...sorta ;)

<sends e mail to google>

ast3r3x
2004-08-29, 16:43
Any time anyone has, and is gaining the massive amount of knowledge and information google is, it's hard to not have someone crying fowl.

Wrao
2004-08-29, 16:47
When they announce their martian based tournament deathmatch...I'd be a bit wary.

torifile
2004-08-29, 21:38
torifile: Maybe you'd rather there be an MSN bar at the top of your Safari window? ;)
Nah, I love the google search box. I use it 10's of times a day. I was just wondering what they were up to. The comments on ars got me thinking.... Anyway, now you know why I avoid that forum. ;)

Eugene
2004-08-29, 21:51
I welcome any competition against Microsoft. Only a true Mac zealot would rather see Google stagnate than realize the whole picture. Should Microsoft be worried about Google? Hopefully. Should Apple? It doesn't matter.

torifile
2004-08-29, 21:56
I welcome any competition against Microsoft. Only a true Mac zealot would rather see Google stagnate than realize the whole picture. Should Microsoft be worried about Google? Hopefully. Should Apple? It doesn't matter.
I hope you're not referring to me because I didn't mean to come across as hoping someone would stagnate to the benefit of Apple.

Again, I was just wondering what google's up to these days. I just like to know what's coming.

thuh Freak
2004-08-29, 22:00
i think google is really awesome. they make the greatest search technology. they had a groundbreaking idea with email. they constantly please me in my naughty bits. google yea. others nea.

naren
2004-08-29, 22:12
I ain't scared of these guys! (http://www.google.com/technology/pigeonrank.html) ;)

iBrowse
2004-08-29, 22:54
HAHAHAHAHAHHA

wait...

HAHAHAHAHHA

iBrowse
2004-08-29, 22:55
..wait...

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA