PDA

View Full Version : 800 dollar 17 inch powerbook worth buying

Jubcoo
2006-04-25, 23:22
I have an offer to buy a 17inch 1.67ghz powerbook with 120GB of hard drive space, 512 MB ram, 1900x1200 resolution for 800 dollars. Supposedly in good condition. In light of the new macs coming out, including the soon to be released ibook replacement, is this worth the money. The price seems to be my main consideration, considering the specs. Please advice me in terms of price and value.

I am aware of its size and portability issues.

Thanks.

alcimedes
2006-04-25, 23:23
You're sure it's a legit deal?

ghoti
2006-04-25, 23:26
Are you buying this from ebay? Be careful if they want you to use an escrow service or send money with Western Union, that usually means it's a scam. Also, the specs sound strange. The 17" PB had a 1680x1050 display, and the 120GB harddisk must have been put in after it was baught. It seems a bit too good a deal to me.

Luca
2006-04-25, 23:26
Where are you buying this from?

It is a VERY good deal, almost too good to be true. Do you know the seller? Are you able to meet in person? Or is this an eBay thing?

SpecMode
2006-04-25, 23:27
Yeah, a late-model 17" PBook for $800 sounds sets off warning bells in my mind. Where, by chance, did you find this particular offer?

(oh, and 1900x1200 resolution? On a PowerBook? No such thing. The latest model PowerBook G4 17" has a max resolution of 1680x1050. I smell a dirty scammer...)

Gosh darnit, took too long to add the last paragraph...

Jubcoo
2006-04-25, 23:29
My thoughts too. The woman I was communicating with wanted me to go through these guys here -> http://express-tnt.net/transactiondetails.html in order to complete the deal. Even offered me a try-before-you buy thing.

Me, being quite saavy when it comes to these things, seem a little leary. Please advice further. It seems too good to be true.

By the way, I found the deal off craigslist.com, however, the laptop and its owner are supposedly in the U.K.

Luca
2006-04-25, 23:31
Scam.

Artap99
2006-04-25, 23:32
I saw the same ad on Craigslist. Don't buy it. The resolution comment pointed out by Specmode is what made me question its validity. I emailed the guy and surprise surprise, it's a scam.

Edit: You beat me to it.

Jubcoo
2006-04-25, 23:33
Could someone explain how this scam works, especially this TNT company that supposedly operates as a buffer against scams? Don't worry, I am not even close to buying (thankfully).

ghoti
2006-04-25, 23:34
My thoughts too. The woman I was communicating with wanted me to go through these guys here -> http://express-tnt.net/transactiondetails.html in order to complete the deal. Even offered me a try-before-you buy thing.
That website is an obvious scam. TNT doesn't operate a .net domain, and just try to click the TNT logo on the top left and see where this takes you; or go to the root of that domain: http://express-tnt.net/ :eek:. They didn't even bother to change the links. You should report this to the real TNT (http://www.tnt.com/), in the hope that they will take some legal action against these assholes.

SpecMode
2006-04-25, 23:36
The domain you linked to was created about a month ago (22 March), registered by a "Cornelia A Jones" from Emeryville, CA. (gotta love Terminal + whois :))

Avoid like the plague.

Jubcoo
2006-04-25, 23:37
Man, I wish we could pull a PPP-powerbook on these guys. I just reported that fraud website to the real TNT.

Artap99
2006-04-25, 23:38
It's quite simple, really. It's a fake escrow site that takes your money when you send it in. Plus, they'll have your credit card number and other information. The 'woman' works for them. The real TNT site is www.tnt.com.

Edit: Beaten again. This sucks.

SpecMode
2006-04-25, 23:39
Meh, that would only work if they were buying the PowerBook from you...not quite the other way around. I wouldn't be half surprised if the scammer in this case was thinking about doing the same thing. :\

Addendum: Artap, I feel your pain.

Would anyone have a problem with me appending a segment of the Whois data, just for reference?

Eh, I'm gonna do it anyway.
Domain Name.......... express-tnt.net
Creation Date........ 2006-03-23
Registration Date.... 2006-03-23
Expiry Date.......... 2007-03-23
Organisation Name.... Cornelia A Jones
Organisation Address. P O Box 99800
Organisation Address.
Organisation Address. EmeryVille
Organisation Address. 94662
Organisation Address. CA
Organisation Address. US

Jubcoo
2006-04-25, 23:44
If anyone wants to have a little fun with the scammer, they were operating under the email address of alison_white1978@yahoo.com.

billybobsky
2006-04-25, 23:57
Website registrations should only be allowed for people with confirmed physical addresses...

SpecMode
2006-04-25, 23:58
Agreed. (though it would be a bit of a pain for those of us who tend not to stay in one place for long periods of time, but I think I could deal with that.)

j. smith
2006-04-27, 13:10
Website registrations should only be allowed for people with confirmed physical addresses...
I don't agree. There's a lot of weirdos that would show up at your front door if your address was listed. It's good for privacy, which I believe is more important than exposing many innocent website owners from the deranged few. Plus, to get a PO Box, you do have to show ID and proof of a physical address at the post office. People just need to be more informed/aware when purchasing online.

ghoti
2006-04-27, 13:24
I have my full address listed in the whois for two domains that I own, and those weirdos have yet to show up ;). I agree though that having to prove your address would suck (and make domain registration tedious). That's like that idea that everybody gets a unique ID and has to sign on before doing any surfing, so you can track back illegal behavior.

torifile
2006-04-27, 13:31
Don't do it. I saw a similar (not as good) deal last month with the same, "we'll ship through TNT" line. Also found on craigslist and also from the UK.

This is what the dude wrote about the deal:

Hi
My name is Kevin Bailey and I live in London Uk.The item is new with 12 months international warranty( with all standard accessories ) . It is a unwated gift, usa model and I can't use it here!
Here is how I want to go about delivery and payment for the product which will be through TNT and will also give you the chance to inspect the product before I receive the payment for it.
I will explain to you step by step how this will work.
A. First you have to send me your shipping information (your name and address).
1. After I receive your shipping info, I'll go to a TNT Location and leave the product onto your name and with your address as the intended receiver.
2. TNT will check it to see that the unit was placed with no defections and to see that is legal .
B. You will receive a notification from as a confirmation that the product is in their custody and also, that the product has been tested.
1.TNT will send you a invoice, and if everything is in order, they will deliver the product to your door step.
2. After you will receive the product and you will be completely satisfied with it, you will instruct TNT to release the payment information to me, so I can collect my money.
C. If by any reason, you will not be satisfied with the product, you will return the product to TNT with no expense.
I will pay for shipping and you for the amount transfer.
Let me know if we can do this.
Thanks! ##############

I emailed TNT to see if they do an escrow like thing and they said no, they don't do anything like that. So avoid it.