PDA

View Full Version : iMac 17", iMac 20", or Macbook

ddrueckhammer
2006-04-28, 12:41
I just sold my 12" 1.33Ghz 1.25 GB 80GB Powerbook for $1100 plus shipping on Ebay and am Macless now! I would appreciate any advice on what I should purchase to replace it. I have really been thinking about an iMac because the screen on the Powerbook always seemed a little small for my tastes and I really didn't take the Powerbook with me very often. The options I am considering are:

20" iMac- If I get one of these it would have to be off of Ebay. My current budget is only $1200 or so as I am a student and money is tight right now.

17" iMac- I can get one of the refurbs for $1099 or one from the education store for $1199. I'm not sure if they give the original packaging for refurbs or if they just come in a brown box. If they don't include the extra packaging I'm thinking the edu is better because it will help the resale value to have the original box.

On either of these iMacs I'm wondering if it would be best to wait until next month and see if they release the Meriom processor in them. I would think Dual Core processing would help overall performance but I don't want to wait until August to get it really. Also, I am wondering if the Cram & Jam promo will extend to the iMacs, as well as, Macbooks this year. If it does then that would be nice as my 4G iPod recently died.

Macbook- I think I really don't want a Macbook as I just sold a Powerbook that works great but it might be worth it if I can get a free iPod with it...

I think I sold at the perfect time because the 12" Powerbooks will surely take a hit when the new 12" portables come out but I hate to not have a computer...

BTW, I use my computer for Internet, Word Processing, Light Photoshop, and World of Warcraft. I am an engineering student so I might need to do some light CAD work in Vectorworks or Archicad or shudder boot to Windows for AutoCAD and possilby use Math packages such as: Mathmatica, Maple, or Matlab. I don't own a video camera so I don't see any video editing in the near future.

Let me know if you have any insights...

Thanks
Dustin

torifile
2006-04-28, 12:49
The eternal question when it comes to a decision like this is always: how much does portability matter to you? Since you're a student, I'd imagine it's probably pretty important. With that in mind, I would have recommended keeping your powerbook until the new iBooks come out. But since it's too late, you've got 2 options: get the 17" iMac (refurb because they are just like new but cheaper) or wait. Neither are all that appealing given your situation.

What I would do, since you don't seem to be averse to reselling your Macs, is to buy the 17" iMac now and then sell it when the Macbook comes along. The iMac won't take a substanial price hit when the Macbook comes out so it'll likely only cost you a few $. And chances are the Macbook will be cheaper than what you sell the iMac for. Also, if the past 2 years are any indication, there will be a "cram and jam" promotion that gives you an iPod for almost nothing when you buy the Macbook.

ddrueckhammer
2006-04-28, 13:53
You bring up a good point about the Macbook. I guess I might miss the portability of not having a laptop but I guess I won't know until I have to go without one...

PB PM
2006-04-28, 14:23
I think almost anyone who has had a notebook computer will miss the portability after switching to a desktop, at least to some degree. I got a used Powerbook G3 last summer for school, and when it died a few months later (well OS9 worked, but no more OSX... ie it died ;) ) and it was hard to wait till October (it died in late September) to get my ibook G4.

Is it 1981?
2006-04-28, 18:38
I know this might not be economically possible for you, but I wouldn't buy a refurb machine - you're going to be spending a not-inconsiderable amount of money, and I know if it were me in your position, I'd want the very best for my money, and buying second-hand just isn't good enough.

End snobbish post. ;)

turbulentfurball
2006-04-28, 18:45
I'd hardly say that refurbished Macs are 'second hand' in the traditional sense. Macs bought refurbished from Apple receive the same product support as anything bought brand new:

(2) What should I expect when I purchase an Apple Certified Refurbished Product?

* Substantial savings
* A fully functional unit with complete documentation
* The assurance that the unit meets Apple's premiere quality standards, and that its defective components have been replaced by genuine Apple components

You can also purchase AppleCare as per brand new Macs for additional security incase the worst should happen.

I don't see any reason why not to buy a refurbished Mac.

Is it 1981?
2006-04-28, 18:48
I'm just snobbish that way. It's fresh or nothing for me. :D

Fooboy
2006-04-28, 19:52
I got a refurb 17" intel imac for $1099. It is impeccable.

torifile
2006-04-28, 21:03
I know this might not be economically possible for you, but I wouldn't buy a refurb machine - you're going to be spending a not-inconsiderable amount of money, and I know if it were me in your position, I'd want the very best for my money, and buying second-hand just isn't good enough.

End snobbish post. ;)
That's just foolishness.

kgarchar
2006-04-28, 23:17
REFURB ALL THE WAY

i couldn't see it any other way, you're spending a lot of money, that's a given, but if you're going to save a good $200-300, totally go for it, it still has the 1 year warranty, and you can just upgrade with the left over money