PDA

View Full Version : Price and Longevity

Jubcoo
2006-04-29, 12:41
Right now, I am split between buying a MBP or getting the upcoming ibook replacement. Though I dont really want to spend the close to $2000 for a MBP, it might last me longer than a possible ibook replacement. In terms of technology specs and cost, if I want to keep this laptop for 3-4 years, does it make sense to go for a MBR over the new ibook?

People with Titanium Powerbooks, how well do your systems run Tiger?

ddrueckhammer
2006-05-01, 22:21
Right now, I am split between buying a MBP or getting the upcoming ibook replacement. Though I dont really want to spend the close to $2000 for a MBP, it might last me longer than a possible ibook replacement. In terms of technology specs and cost, if I want to keep this laptop for 3-4 years, does it make sense to go for a MBR over the new ibook?

People with Titanium Powerbooks, how well do your systems run Tiger?

One thing to note is; the more in spend initially on a system, the more it will depreciate as time goes on. In a couple of years an ibook will hold more of its original value than a Macbook and you can sell it and get something else.

If you want to keep you computer for the long run then ignore cost and just get the best one you can afford.

Personally, I'm a fan of getting a lower end one and upgrading every couple of years.

alcimedes
2006-05-01, 22:32
In almost every case, you'll get more bang for your buck buying the iBook instead of the PowerBook. Over the last five years or so, you could afford to buy a new iBook every year and a half, to one new PowerBook every three to four years. Over time you come out about 30% ahead of the PowerBook in average speed of the computer you're using on a daily basis.

scratt
2006-05-01, 22:40
Alc has a point... However, I still have one of the first PB 17" G4s, and have always had at least 1GB of ram in it. It is still fine for everything I need to do. I simply don't need to upgrade yet...

I have no intention of gettting rid of this machine until the end of this year. By 'getting rid', I mean putting it somewhere in my house other than on my main desk! I never get rid of an Apple!

I will be buying one of the new 17" 'things' but that will be my travel machine as I want it to be able to play certain games I cannot get on a Mac, and also do lots of Video editting and DVD buring on the road.. You can never have too much power for that.. Heck I have a dual G5 which is powered up most days simply to crunch video, and share XCode compiling tasks with my 17".

So I would say if you are not buying a new machine for 3 years or so then go with a good high spec Powerbook, IMHO. You will be lagging behind iBooks by then end, but it will carry you through well, and will have a lot more options for connecting stuff. I still have a FW800 ports on my G4, and can connect it to a tv! It's not just about the processor speed..

alcimedes
2006-05-01, 22:51
Just as a heads up though, in almost every case the iBook will be faster than the high end PowerBook within a year and a half at most. The PowerBooks do offer some unique options, but most people don't use them.

Plus with Intel making the chips now, I would expect the speed increases to come faster than they have in the past.

Wyatt
2006-05-01, 23:40
Just as a heads up though, in almost every case the iBook will be faster than the high end PowerBook within a year and a half at most. The PowerBooks do offer some unique options, but most people don't use them.

Plus with Intel making the chips now, I would expect the speed increases to come faster than they have in the past.
I agree. While I'm about to buy the 2.0 GHz MBP this week or next, I realize that it's not for everybody. If you're not playing super high-end games with complicated effects or doing heavy (as in heavier than iMovie) video editing or editing RAW images, there's not much use for the MBP for most people. I'm getting it because the higher resolution display and the graphics card are great for me, not only for my web design work, but also for gaming. For most people though, the iBook replacement will likely be a better deal.

Jason
2006-05-02, 07:48
it will carry you through well, and will have a lot more options for connecting stuff. I still have a FW800 ports on my G4, and can connect it to a tv! It's not just about the processor speed..

Good point.

:)

JayReding
2006-05-03, 18:01
I'd also wait and see what the iBook/MacBook's specs are.

My standard disclaimer applies: what do you want to do with your computer? If you're thinking about digital media production, an MBP is a better choice. If you may dabble in media, but will mainly need a machine for surfing the web, the iBook is perfect for that.

If you need a pro machine, that's what the MBP is. if you need a machine for storing family photos and emailing them to Mom, then an iBook/MacBook will do that just fine. It's all about your individual needs and budget.

Robo
2006-05-03, 19:39
I'm with alcimedes. It almost never makes sense to pay for more power than you need, in the hopes that the computer will last you longer - especially in the case of the MacBook Pro, and its large price increase.

PB PM
2006-05-03, 20:31
I'd also wait and see what the iBook/MacBook's specs are.

I was thinking the same thing. Yes the Macbook may be more affordable, and maybe you can upgrade again a little sooner, but if you need something today that the Macbook cannot offer, paying a little more may well be worth it for a low end Macbook Pro.

Chinney
2006-05-03, 21:56
In almost every case, you'll get more bang for your buck buying the iBook instead of the PowerBook. Over the last five years or so, you could afford to buy a new iBook every year and a half, to one new PowerBook every three to four years. Over time you come out about 30% ahead of the PowerBook in average speed of the computer you're using on a daily basis.

That's an interesting way of looking at it. I had never really analyzed it from that perspective before.

scratt
2006-05-03, 21:58
That's an interesting way of looking at it. I had never really analyzed it from that perspective before.

Another cool way to look at alc's post is that you end up with more Macs! :)

PB PM
2006-05-04, 00:12
Of course you will always have a machine with a lower res screen, and less brightness... which can be a pain at times. I mean, there have been few days I have not wished I got the 12" PB rather than the 14" ibook.