PDA

View Full Version : CD/DVD burning software: which one is really worth?

Sketch
2006-04-30, 09:46
I want to buy CD/DVD burning software for my MBP and I was wondering which one to buy, either Toast (which is damn expensive) or Dragonburn. First of all are there good free burning softare for mac (well in my case universal, but does it really matter?). Are there other recommendations? Please let me know. thanks

PB PM
2006-04-30, 10:06
I depends on what you want to burn really.There are some free programs, such as BurnX Free, but they may not do what you need. Its not universal though, so that may or may not be an issue.

Sketch
2006-04-30, 10:35
if it can do most of what toast 6 can do then it would be fine. I don't need things like Deja Vu or some fancy stuff. Should be able to burn Data files, Video/DVD movies, Disc copy, Audio files (if it can export to mp3 from anyother format would be nice but without it, fine). Most of all should be reliable so that it wouldn't mess up my drive or the DVDs i burn. I don't need free, but if there are some free programs why pay money. But if I have to buy to satisfy my needs, then which software should I go for?

PB PM
2006-04-30, 11:32
BurnX Free is a simple program for data, and works fine it you burn mp3 files, it wont covert them though. Its just drop and burn. I have never had burn problems since it uses Apples burning software, but provides a more flexible interface. I don't know what features Toast has, I haven't used it since version 4 with an old external burner. It is easy to check out, just download it and see what features it has.

rampancy
2006-04-30, 14:51
There's also Liquid CD (http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/28483), which is also freeware and comes as a Universal Binary. It does a lot of what you're looking for, and it even supports dual-layer burning.