PDA

View Full Version : iMac G5

Pages : [1] 2

Messiahtosh
2004-08-31, 04:33
[4:41 AM] We are seeing a video for the new iMac now. Apple is comparing it to the iPod, the way the music player sits in the Dock. Also, the video says "From the creator of the iPod," showing that Apple is trying to leverage the success of the music player. Jonathan Ive says it is "quiet and utterly serene" in the video. - posted by Bryan

11:08:20
video of jonathan ive and the imac g5

4:38 AM] US$1299 - 17" 256 MB RAM, Combo Drive, 80 GB drive, 64 MB video card. This compares to US$1799 for the old starting iMac.

US$1499 - 17", with 1.8 GHz.

US$1899 - 20" display (1680 x 1050), 2.2" thick, 1.8 GHz G5, 256 MB RAM, 160 GB drive, SuperDrive, and same 674 MB video card.

They will begin shipping in mid-September!
- posted by Bryan

20 Inch iMac G5

$1299 US

[4:37 AM] You can unscrew three screws, and the entire back comes off. The crowd loves it!

The G5 module, when looking at the back, is on the right side. There are three fans in the unit, and it is "quiet as a whisper." - posted by Bryan

[4:35 AM] SuperDrive. 1.8 GHz G5. 600 MHz frontside bus. 400 MHz DDR RAM, up to 2 GB. Serial ATA hard drives, AGP 8X graphic slots. The speakers are mounted on the bottom, so they reflect off the desk, up to the user. The keyboard will slide underneath the display when you are not using it.

There are three 5 USB (3 2.0, 2 1.1), two FireWire, a modem slot, Ethernet (10/100 Base-T), audio-in, audio-out, both headphone and optical), power button on the bottom. - posted by Bryan

[4:34 AM] "Everyone is ging to be asking "where does the computer go?"

All of the connectors are on the left side, all in a row. Again, the crowd is going wild. - posted by Bryan

[4:33 AM] It's white in color, and the crowd is going wild. It has a grey Apple logo on front. Everyhting fits together right behind the display. - posted by Bryan

[4:32 AM] It looks like just a Cinema Display with a DVD slot loader on right side towards the top. Aluminum foot. It's the world's thinest desktop computer, at less than 2" thick. - posted by Bryan

11:08:29
looks like one of the new screens

11:08:48
still not showing it

11:08:48
iMac G5

11:08:21
7.5 million imacs sold to date...we love Aio

11:08:14
imac

hmurchison
2004-08-31, 04:35
Go to bed! LOL

Messiahtosh
2004-08-31, 04:44
Looks like a Rev B machine, if there ever was one.

Paul
2004-08-31, 04:47
http://www.apple.com/imac/
SPOILER
LOOK DOWN
http://images.apple.com/imac/images/indextop20040831.jpg

cyrusmekon
2004-08-31, 04:49
www.apple.com

New G5 imac

cyrusmekon
2004-08-31, 04:50
aaah crap its ugly

Messiahtosh
2004-08-31, 04:54
It is amazing.

For the price I paid for my 15'' PowerBook, I could get a top of the line iMac, with 1 GB or RAM, bluetooth, airport extreme, 250 GB HD, and a 20'' wide screen LCD, all 300 MHz faster (and a G5), and a hugely faster FSB (600 MHz).

I might have to eBay my PB. :err:

hmurchison
2004-08-31, 04:57
I'm not enthused by white computers but I like the compactness of this iMac and I'm glad they bumped the step up 17" to 1.8Ghz.

Barto
2004-08-31, 05:01
The iMac is no longer a bimbo, but it's no longer a looker.

Barto

Frank777
2004-08-31, 05:05
I can't believe they still expect us to use AppleWorks 6 with a 2004, flatscreen G5 iMac.

psmith2.0
2004-08-31, 05:06
Okay, before I return to bed for another two hours, here are my honest first impressions (all of this could change tomorrow, the more I delve into it and view it with fresh, "next day" eyes):

1. It's unattractive
2. It looks like 400 unimaginitive mock-ups I've seen where the Cinema Display was used as a jumping-off point. Just doesn't seem to be Apple's style to raid their own closet...I truly expect(ed) more from Apple.
3. Nowhere near as "huggable" as the jellybean, and nowhere near as visually striking as the sunflower iMac G4. From the front, it looks exactly like an eMac stuck on a popsicle stick. WTF? :err:
4. All that talk, two years ago about "glomming the guts onto the back of the display" and "horizontally mounted drives"...what happened? That's all this thing IS! :D
5. I'm glad they kept it white. Goes with the iPod and keeps it firmly in the mind of "okay, this is how 'regular guy' machine".
6. The specs are nice, and the price drops (17" for $1299 and so forth) are great! If I gave a damn about desktops anymore, yeah...I'd certainly get this over any tower/display combination, hands down.

But overall, I'm not blown away. It looks like someone's Photoshop-tweaked mock-up (stick a slot on the side, some ports on it and call it done).

Just seems to say "take the easy way cop out" to me.

Again, let me sleep on it and view it all tomorrow and get more into the specs. But at 6:05am, September 31, those are my honest, heartfelt initial first reactions. Wanted them on record.

;)

If advertised and pushed properly (playing up that iPod angle), now that the holidays are approaching, this could be interesting...

We'll see.

Eugene
2004-08-31, 05:09
My eyes are coming all over my keyboard.

Paul
2004-08-31, 05:13
I'd like to see one with an iSight

_Ω_
2004-08-31, 05:17
Was the pricing before hand????

How much has been sliced of the price??

Personally I am indifferent as I like laptops :lol:

StevesMom
2004-08-31, 05:18
The boy did good. Just waiting for the Apple Store to come back so I can order a 17" 1.8.

psmith2.0
2004-08-31, 05:22
Okay, I've looked at it some more. Nope, I was right...it's ugly.

:D

That big chunk of white expanse below the display...it makes it look like Jay Leno. And totally takes away from the "widescreen" look. The Cinema Displays, 15" and 17" PowerBooks and the previous 17" and 20" iMac G4 all make you notice "hey, that's a cool widescreen...".

I realize they had to cram guts and speakers in there, but that big white ocean below the display just throws me off. If that were maybe half the depth, I might not think this way. As it is, it's all you see. And a big logo stuck there to help "sell it".

:p

If I'd mocked something up with that much "dead space", you people would've torn me a new one!

:lol:

Then, on the back, you have, for some reason, "iMac" in this tacky 148 pt. HUGE type. Where the hell did that come from? Why?

:confused:

I'm much more impressed by what's under the hood this time around. Hell, I kinda have to be, because this is the first iMac that I'd consider "unattractive from every angle".

:(

BUT, since PC people are used to that and didn't seem to be taken with the swoops, curves, etc., perhaps this will work in Apple's favor. Something plain, utilitarian and ugly has been the key all along, poor Ive just didn't realize it!

scratt
2004-08-31, 05:25
I'd have to see one in the flesh.

I didn't like the last iMac until I saw it for real.

But my first impressions were hmm... well.. actually identicle to how I felt about the last iMac, but without the WOW it looks like some freaky alien type background thought going on...

So overall a bit of a let down.

But then I have a G5 and a 17" G4 so why would I worry.

My other half wants one though. :)

cyrusmekon
2004-08-31, 05:25
im with pscates2.0 on this one.

They have the cram, but not the jam.

Sigh

scratt
2004-08-31, 05:26
Okay, I've looked at it some more. Nope, I was right...it's ugly.

That big chunk of white expanse below the display...it makes it look like Jay Leno. And totally takes away from the "widescreen" look. The Cinema Displays, 15" and 17" PowerBooks and the previous 17" and 20" iMac G4 all make you notice "hey, that's a cool widescreen...".

Would have to agree with that.. That was a real dissapointment... Really detracts from the 2" thin thing when it looks like it already has an extension on it's butt! :lol:

Gizzer
2004-08-31, 05:34
DULL!!!!

PSCATES : Email your L-Mac design to Jonathan Ive. I've a feeling the news headlines tomorrow will then read "Famous Apple designer commits hari-kari after reading email".

How the hell could he have "designed" that? I've already posted on another forum that if you took off the Apple badge and replaced it with an LG then plced it on the shelves of your local electronics retailer, no-one would give it a second glance.

I know Apple like simple, but this is "Simple Extreme"!! No flair whatsoever.

The only (vaguely) good thing about the whole thing is the G5 processor. I cant believe Bluetooth & Airport Extreme are still build options only.

Rant Over.

PS: PSCATES - I'm serious: Email J. Ives!! ;)

Messiahtosh
2004-08-31, 05:34
The iMac has undergone major tansitions, from being overweight and large, to having the components under the screen (while taking up about the same desk space as the original), and now everything is in the screen and it is smaller yet more powerful than ever.

Remember, the cinema displays with this exact styling were probably supposed to be released in conjunction with this iMac back at the WWDC.

I love it, and if I had not bought a PowerBook I would have gotten this.

Amazing that a G5 is in that enclosure, and a 250 GB HD? Jesus.

BTW, pricing is absurdly good. Compare it to the PowerBooks. Ridiculously good value.

Nico_from_Paris
2004-08-31, 05:35
Been there ! new iMac G5 is really cool to look at. Seeing it you say to yourself : of course. how could it have been different. Apple designers are genious ones. Apple was first to get rid of the 3"5 floppy, then the first to bet on flat screen, then the first to get rid of the computer itself. Thanks ! Apart from the last 30 minutes of the keynote, nothing new, everything already seen and heard in the wwdc or iTunes Europe launch. I wish we could have had Steve on iChat av live

StevesMom
2004-08-31, 05:40
Just noticed the iMac G5 is VESA swing-arm or wall mountable. How cool is that ? :lol:

revolver
2004-08-31, 05:44
U - G - L - Y

This will be a flop for Apple. The price points are okay, I suppose
, but this is not a product that will catch on with the general public like the original iMac.

Give me the elegant sunflower iMac (and the original lucite cinema displays while you're at it) over this thing.

BTW, the lucite cinemas were SOOO cool. I snapped up one on eBay that I'd take any day over the new ones. I'm planning on getting a used sunflower G4 20" for <$1500 with these price points... so in a way I'm happy.

counterculture
2004-08-31, 05:47
i'm trying hard to like it. at least the 20-inch doesn't look much like jay leno as the 17-inch.

Barracuda
2004-08-31, 05:52
I'm truly surprised by the negative comments! C'mon you guys! I think it's a STUNNING acheivement by Apple, and I believe that it will be a runaway success story! They won't be able to produce enough of these at first just like the iPods!

It wasn't that long ago when the original G5 PowerMacs came out, and look how far they have come along with downsizing everything! And isn't this the first truly upgradeable iMac? Can you imagine having the power of a G5 with no computer in sight? So cool that you don't need a big tower under your desk!

I'm VERY impressed! Far and away better than I imagined and I was not looking forward to everything glommed onto the back of the screen...but I think Apple has succeeded beautifully on this one...it will make a lot of comsumers wonder "where is the computer", and it packs enough wallop, innovation and value to propel it into super-stardom!

Paul
2004-08-31, 05:56
I just placed my order but was turned down for an Apple Credit Account... :(
so I'm waiting ;).

$2499 plus tax

4-year AppleCare Protection Plan, iMac
S1762Z/A
Same bus.day
$185.00
$185.00

iMac 1.8GHz w/20" TFT
Z096
3-4 weeks
$2,116.00
$2,116.00

SuperDrive (DVD-R/CD-RW)
065-4705
512MB DDR400 SDRAM - 1 DIMM
065-4713
AirPort Extreme Card
065-4718
Bluetooth Module + Apple Wireless Keyboard & Mouse + Mac OS X - U.S. English
065-4721
Accessory kit
065-4979
Power Supply
065-5257
250GB Serial ATA drive
065-4720

iSight
M8817LL/B
1-3 bus.days
$129.00
$129.00

.Mac Promotional Bundle
B8747LL/A
1-3 bus.days
$69.95
$69.95

Anyone think it will be available in the Apple Stores anytime soon?

Messiahtosh
2004-08-31, 05:58
It is sickly amazing, I would not call this a flop. You may not like the design, but calling it a flop is absurd, especially when it has those specs, at those prices.

revolver
2004-08-31, 06:01
Barracuda,

Do you have any info that indicates it will be upgradeable, i.e. removable graphics card, number of empty memory slots, accessable, swappable HD?

I couldnt find anything about this on the Apple site

Eugene
2004-08-31, 06:04
Somebody found this sniffing around the UK store...

http://store.apple.com/Catalog/uk_inst/Images/cp_top_indi_imac_20040831.jpg

http://www.stupidest.net/~ceugene/cp_top_indi_imac_20040831.jpg

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Paul
2004-08-31, 06:05
2 Ram slots (full size)
dunno about the HD, but $90 for 90 gigs is too hard to pass up.

Gizzer
2004-08-31, 06:08
Although I'm not keen on it's design (see rant above!), I appreciate the effort gone into fitting this into such a small enclosure.

But best of all they have broken the sub £1000 barrier (in the UK - £919) which is a great achievement.

I can already see the brief this time was:

Make it cheap.

Make it simple (Simple Extreme as I'm now terming this design ideology!).

Copy the Sony Vaio and all the other AIO's on the PC Market. (Only joking ;) !!)

I'll watch and re-watch the webcast tonight (assuming it's posted). And keep repeating: You WILL like this iMac, you WILL like this iMac.... :)

Barracuda
2004-08-31, 06:10
I love how you can now own an Apple computer with so much power and minimalist design! Your desk can be so clutter free now! This design is super smart in so many ways. It will drive sales of Apple's accessories...

Airport Express or Airport Extreme, iSight, Wireless Keyboard/Mouse, just to name a few...who wouldn't want to eventually add on all of those to their new iMac?

It's really a brilliant machine...I don't think Apple will have a problem selling it at all and I think it will knock Wallstreet's socks off!

The new iMac G5 RAWKS!!! Ooooooh Barracuda!!!
:)

usurp
2004-08-31, 06:13
the new imac is cool. no more desk clutter. now it would be cooler if there was a way to remove the stand and mount it on the wall. and ofcourse the screen was touch sensetive.. then you could also use it as a tablet.

Paul
2004-08-31, 06:18
you can remove the stand and hang it on the wall

no such luck with the touchscreen tho... maybe as an aftermarket add-on like the old CRTs...

StevesMom
2004-08-31, 06:31
the new imac is cool. no more desk clutter. now it would be cooler if there was a way to remove the stand and mount it on the wall. and ofcourse the screen was touch sensetive.. then you could also use it as a tablet.

The new iMac will take a standard VESA wallmount. So yes, it can be wall-mounted (although how on earth you will get to the rear-mounted ports to plug extras in is anyone's guess). Anything VESA compliant will fit, so it could be swing-arm mounted if you like. I bet some Mac third-party hardware manufacturer will produce a VESA mounting that works like the g2 iMac goose-neck, and clamps to your desk for that "original" iMac feel ;)

Add an Apple Bluetooth keyboard and mouse and, well, that kicks the cr*p out of anything PC-based. VAIO etc included.

StevesMom
2004-08-31, 06:34
One final thing ... congratulations to Apple for cracking the form factor with the G5 chip. The 1.8GHz G5 PowerBook/iBook can't be too far away now that they've proved that they can get everything bar the battery into a (broadly) acceptable format. Assuming the 970FX's power management can cope, of course.

For me this announcement has just brought a G5 PowerBook that much closer to reality. I mean all they've got to do is find space for the battery and stick a lid and keyboard on it and you've got the next PowerBook :)

Eugene
2004-08-31, 06:41
Inside of the iMac at a higher res than on the product page, but downsized from the hideously large press images:

http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~ceugene/adm/temp/g5imacinside.jpg

Koodari
2004-08-31, 06:48
The enclosure is so-and-so. Ugly from the front, pretty good when you look at it at an angle, somewhat ugly from the back. I'm going to call it "eMac2" since the design derives from eMac, not the iMac2. The only thing I can honestly praise about the enclosure is that it's cool they got the power brick in there as well. Wish they had kept the sunflower and just given it a light makeover.

Yes, the "eMac2" gets a new and much faster processor, but that can only level the playing field with regular PCs which happen to be many times faster than the iMac2 was.

Apple skimped on the graphics (again). The 5200FX may *run* Doom3 like Apple says on their page but I predict a buh-bye to any eye candy. I doubt Apple would forget that the "eMac2" has absolutely no competition from their own lineup. It logically follows that the reason they crippled video out (again) was just to piss off customers. It just doesn't dawn to them that a properly designed and featured iMac could also be a desirable office machine, does it?

Too expensive bottom end model. A screen equivalent of the 15" Powerbook would have been nice. I suspect why they didn't do smaller than 17" was that it proved impossible to engineer the computer in the back of such a "small" display. Yet another reason why the display and computer should be separate and not dependent on each other.

thegelding
2004-08-31, 06:55
i like my FP iMac much more visually...

but i do like some aspects of the new iMac

nice specs
basically a laptop, you could take this easily from place to place
G5

would have to see in person, but i could see getting one...then i would have a iMac DV, iMac FP and iMac G5

might need more rooms in the house

g

ps, got my iPod mini yesterday...filled up with yummy digital tunes...taking for a jog this am

pss...if anybody had released a mockup like this we would have all easily dismissed it

looks nice from the side, like the stand...people will ask, "where is the computer"...they do that now with my iMac FP, will even more with this...might be good for getting switchers...comparing to the sony computers, how did apple get their so thin?

alcimedes
2004-08-31, 07:00
ok, first, the good parts.

I love that it's wall mountable. that's nice. I like that the entire thing, PSU included is inside it. that's also nice.

the so-so. don't like the design. don't like the look. i can live with both for what you get for the price.

what i hate.

the side mounted drive. fucking worthless. what's the point of being able to wall mount a computer, if you have to have access to the side of it to put in a disk. i think they'd have been better off with a slot loading, angled drive than a verticle mounted one. i hate verticle mounted drives.

that brings up the second, MUCH more annoying part. WTF is up with every single port being on the BACK! put a friggin' USB and 1394 port up in front already. cameras and everything else plugs and unplugs constantly from today's computer. how the hell are you supposed to have easy access? turn the thing around all the time? use a USB extension cable? none of those are "elegant" solutions. you're going to end up with a giant rat's nest of cabling just to use the damn thing. ports on the side would have made a lot more sense.

oh well, that's life i guess.

thegelding
2004-08-31, 07:07
this is nice...

http://images.apple.com/imac/images/graphicschart08312004.jpg

g

StevesMom
2004-08-31, 07:15
For me this announcement has just brought a G5 PowerBook that much closer to reality. I mean all they've got to do is find space for the battery and stick a lid and keyboard on it and you've got the next PowerBook :)

Actually, my bad, they already have room for the battery. Replace internal power brick with PowerBook battery. Easy.

Cmon Steve, give the public their G5 PowerBooks ;)

thegelding
2004-08-31, 07:16
BTO options:

nice ones...
can go up to 2 gigs of ram
can go up to 250 GB HD

not so nice one...
can't upgrade the graphics card

a 20in screen is nice though, and the native resolution for both the 17" and 20" seems good, but what do i know

have a 20" loaded up at the apple edu store...might be tough for me not to hit buy...will try and resist for a couple of days and see how i feel...

g

thegelding
2004-08-31, 07:24
and finally a line in

g

BenRoethig
2004-08-31, 07:42
Stack it up against similar all in one PCs and it murders them in price, performance, amd features. Stack it up against other mid-range computers and it is somewhat lacking.

Pros:
Innovative design.
Great Price.
G5 Power.
Large, high-quality LCD screen.

Cons:
no expansion.
graphics card lacking for gaming.
slow notebook drive. Makes you thankfull for ample helping of USB 2.0 and firwire ports for use with external drives.

psmith2.0
2004-08-31, 07:49
Hey, I just woke up. Let me see...

Nope, still ugly!

Don't get me wrong, the specs/price thing are really nice. I like that. But it sure doesn't look like what we've come to expect. If I won one in a contest or something, sure...I'd dig it (actually would probably give it to my sister and her husband).

Here's the cool part: I was kinda secretly using this as Apple's last chance to convince me that going mobile was wrong. I mean, if this thing came out and was as sleek and gorgeous as I've imagined, I would've been in a fierce tug-of-war with myself. This is cool because this kinda makes it easy. Apple failed to produce anything enticing enough for me to have to go down that road, and I wake up this morning loving my PowerBook even more, and feeling like I've made the best decision. I'll never own a tower, EVER. So if I ever went to a desktop again, it would HAVE to be an eMac or iMac. Not interested in an eMac, and as of early this morning, the iMac isn't really calling my name either.

So it all works out in the end.

However, I truly do hope Apple sells the living shit out of these to anyone and everyone who wants one. It does take up very little room, and it does pack a lot of power. When I look at it from that angle, that's GREAT! As long as I don't have to look at it from the front, side, back or 3/4 angle...

:lol:

Eugene
2004-08-31, 08:09
Well, pscates, I don't see any reason to sacrifice reliability for portability if I don't need portability. And if you look at most of the ranting going on about quality assurance and hardware failures, it's mostly laptop owners crying foul. My desktop Macs have never required service. My sister had to send her PowerBook G4 Ti (DVI) back within less than a year for a full MLB replacement. The iBook repair program...the battery recall...broken WallStreet screen 'clutches'...dark patches on screens...notice a pattern here?

Remember that article where the IBM exec said their laptops have a compound failure rate of 1% every month? That really seems to be standard across all top-tier laptop makers.

Personally, I require internal expansion slots and depend on MTBF. I don't think I'll be using a laptop as a primary computer for a very long time. Since the iMac uses mostly desktop components, I'll be it has much fewer quality control issues than the next major PowerBook revision...

Messiahtosh
2004-08-31, 08:18
I think college kids will eat these up!

BenRoethig
2004-08-31, 08:22
I think college kids will eat these up!

I'm ordering the 1.6 because I don't have another option. It's not really what I want, but I guess its good enough.

psmith2.0
2004-08-31, 08:33
I don't know, Eugene. I've got different needs than yours, I guess. I don't look at it from a reliability standpoint/consumer awareness angle, as much as a "I want my Mac with me, anywhere and anytime..." viewpoint. I don't see it as a choice, as much as a "want".

And I've had nothing but great luck with my nearly-year-old PowerBook (knock on wood). I've got AppleCare (that's what it's for), so I'm cool, no matter what, until autumn 2006.

I'm not sure how we even got off on this, as I was just saying that I'm glad I'm personally not attracted to the new iMac because now I don't have any tough decisions to make! I don't do processor-intensive stuff anyway, so I'm one of those people who can easily "make do" with a laptop. Especially one as full-featured and capable as the PowerBooks.

I was chained to a desk for an entire decade, because of my choice in desktops (Quadra, iMac DV, iMac G4). Don't wanna do it no more. :p

kretara
2004-08-31, 08:37
God, the new iMac is fugly! Yeah you can mount it on a wall, yeah its small but I'm not all that impressed.
I've been waiting for the redesign of the iMac because I really wanted an affordable G5, well, it looks like I'll be keeping my money in the bank. Guess I was expecting too much.

Listen Apple, not everyone wants an AIO and not everyone can afford to move up to a $2000 computer (PowerMac) just to have the option of NOT having an AIO machine. Guess I've had too many AIO monitor failures (which leave you with a big useless machine that you can try an hook up to an external monitor) to ever want another AIO.

I'll keep using my smurf for the time being and maybe spend a small amount of money on a Shuttle (PC hardware) running linux.

utsava
2004-08-31, 08:38
This is a laptop on a stick.

This is not revolutionary. The average customer (whom doesnt know the G5 doubles as a space heater) will not see this as "wow! they fit the G5 in the screen!". They will see it as "they put a laptop on a stick".

Apple marketing has sucessfully twisted people on this boards minds into believing the new iMac is "revolutionary" when its not much more than a laptop on a stick. I mean, do you really think Sony couldnt take the guts of a Z series laptop for instance and stick the LCD on backwards? It would be half as thick as the iMac... and i'm sure the video card wouldn't be 5 years old.

Don't get me wrong, the new iMac is an angineering achievement... just not a revolutionary one. And the biggest hurdle that had to be overcome was heat from an inefficient processor that shouldnt be getting that hot... but thats IBMs fault I guess.

Messiahtosh
2004-08-31, 08:39
Funny, because I'm seriously considering eBaying my powerbook to get a chance to have G5 horsepower for my video editing work.

Maybe I'll just save up and wait for Rev B. It's a tough call. I don't really want to own 2 Macs, I have no reason to do that.

psmith2.0
2004-08-31, 08:39
I do have a little theory on how this model came to be:

Ive and Jobs were going through TONS of ideas and prototypes. I think Ive came in one day, particularly fed up with Steve's impossible-to-please attitude and just said to himself "you know, I'm pretty tired of going through all these gorgeous prototypes and Steve being a pill about them. I'm going to stick all this shit on the back of a Cinema Display...if Steve doesnt like it, he can go to hell. Jerkwad...oh, far be it for me to actually design something nice. I'll give him the laziest thing I can think of...".

Thing is, Steve walked in, saw it, loved it and signed off on it.

And Ive has to carry that with him the rest of his life. :p

"Um, no, well...you see (gesturing wildly in a tight T-shirt)...you see, it was all a joke. I, uh...well, I'm not particularly fond of it, no. But a-hole that he is, Steve made me focus on this one. You should see my reject pile, for crying out loud. BEAUTIFUL, sleek and sublime designs, yes. Well, I've put in for a job at IKEA...yes."

;)

I need to go to Apple's site and seriously view that thing from all sides and read everything about it. Maybe it can grow on me.

ALTHOUGH, as someone above stated: not having a USB and FireWire port on the front is borderline unforgiveable. :mad: That's the nicest thing about the G5! In this age of iPods, camcorders, USB thumb drives, digital cameras, etc., Apple STILL wants to make you reach around the back and blindly fumble for the proper jack. And what about those hanging it on the wall? They're really in for a challenge.

They've got that three-mile strip of empty white on the front, below the display. They couldn't have put the speakers and a USB and FireWire port there so it actually looks like something? I think the lack of imagination (considering all that's come from these guys during the past 5-6 years) is what's eating at me. Even the screen mobility took a drastic step backwards. The BEST thing about the iMac G4 was that awesome "put it where you want it" display. All this new one does is tip up and down a few inches?

Dammit, I'm trying so hard to get on board. I really am...but all these things keep popping up, keeping me from doing so!

johnq
2004-08-31, 08:40
the side mounted drive. fucking worthless. what's the point of being able to wall mount a computer, if you have to have access to the side of it to put in a disk.

WTF is up with every single port being on the BACK! put a friggin' USB and 1394 port up in front already. you're going to end up with a giant rat's nest of cabling just to use the damn thing. ports on the side would have made a lot more sense.

LoL....putting a disk in the side is "bad" yet having a rats nest of cables jutting out of the right side makes "a lot more sense"...

I need to sleep...

Messiahtosh
2004-08-31, 08:41
This is a laptop on a stick.

This is not revolutionary. The average customer (whom doesnt know the G5 doubles as a space heater) will not see this as "wow! they fit the G5 in the screen!". They will see it as "they put a laptop on a stick".

Apple marketing has sucessfully twisted people on this boards minds into believing the new iMac is "revolutionary" when its not much more than a laptop on a stick. I mean, do you really think Sony couldnt take the guts of a Z series laptop for instance and stick the LCD on backwards? It would be half as thick as the iMac... and i'm sure the video card wouldn't be 5 years old.

Don't get me wrong, the new iMac is an angineering achievement... just not a revolutionary one. And the biggest hurdle that had to be overcome was heat from an inefficient processor that shouldnt be getting that hot... but thats IBMs fault I guess.You lack knowledge about the G5, stop trolling. Absurd post, all around. :rolleyes:

Messiahtosh
2004-08-31, 08:43
I do have a little theory on how this model came to be:

Ive and Jobs were going through TONS of ideas and prototypes. I think Ive came in one day, particularly fed up with Steve's impossible-to-please attitude and just said to himself "you know, I'm pretty tired of going through all these gorgeous prototypes and Steve being a pill about them. I'm going to stick all this shit on the back of a Cinema Display...if Steve doesnt like it, he can go to hell. Jerkwad...oh, far be it for me to actually design something nice. I'll give him the laziest thing I can think of...".

Thing is, Steve walked in, saw it, loved it and signed off on it.

And Ive has to carry that with him the rest of his life. :p

"Um, no, well...you see (gesturing wildly in a tight T-shirt)...you see, it was all a joke. I, uh...well, I'm not particularly fond of it, no. But a-hole that he is, Steve made me focus on this one. You should see my reject pile, for crying out loud. BEAUTIFUL, sleek and sublime designs, yes. Well, I've put in for a job at IKEA...yes."

;)I would bet that this iMac's design was solidified before the ACDs were.

Satchmo
2004-08-31, 08:48
i like my FP iMac much more visually...

basically a laptop, you could take this easily from place to place

I wonder if one could purchase an additional "leg". Unhook at the office and bring your iMac home and hook on again.

Seems like the general consensus is as always, mixed. You can't please everybody. The price is pretty aggressive...not quite $1000 mark (although a 17" LCD display for an extra $300 is pretty good).

Aethetically, I'm going to have to wait before I fully appreciate or hate it. I initally disliked the sunflower design but have come full circle and love it. And Pscates, while the design does seem like an easy answer, you know yourself that often simple good design is the hardest thing to achieve. :)

That said, I hear you with respect to that typography on the back. I guess it's all about branding. Perhaps Rev.B of this iMac3 will see smaller type as it will have penetrated the market by then.

Chinney
2004-08-31, 08:49
I agree with a lot of what pscates said. I still like his L-design in its elegant and innovative look, while being consistent with the look and feel of Apple consumer line. Meanwhile the actual new iMac is o.k., but “elegant” and “innovative” are not the first words that come to mind when considering its look. Actually, the very first thing I noticed about it – before I saw any comments here – was the large empty space below the screen. I would not go so far as to call it ugly though – it’s just not a design that made me stand up and applaud. Also, I think I’ll reserve my final design judgement until I see it up close – I find that pictures often do not do Ive’s designs justice.

That being said, the specs look pretty good and the price is not too bad. I am also impressed that they fit a G5 and the power supply into that small space. If you combine the new iMac with ‘all Bluetooth’ connections, the thing could approach elegant sitting on my desk.

Finally, I have a suggestion for Apple in order to spruce up the look a bit: add some aluminium highlights to the white body. Perhaps a thin aluminium strip just above the bottom. It would break up all that white space a bit, while making a design nod toward the pro-line, which is justified by the G5 interior. I don’t think the iMac should go all aluminium, but a few more subtle highlights would be nice.

johnq
2004-08-31, 08:50
Funny, Jonathan Ive already said back in the days after the 'lamp' iMac was introduced, that they tried exactly this, the guts of the computer put behind the display but they had issues with heat and vertical optical drives.

I'd like to hear the rational for going through with it, what fixes/advances were made.

psmith2.0
2004-08-31, 08:53
It's called "joking around", Chris. :)

Ooh, gotta say this (since it's also eating at me this morning): how does this design reconcile with all that Jobs said two-and-a-half years ago during the unveiling of the iMac G4? All that business about letting elements be true to themselves, not glomming the guts on the back of the display, optical drives performing better when they're horizontally positioned, etc.

In fact, this new iMac G5 probably looks a lot like one of the many designs Ive submitted that were pooh-poohed by Jobs three or so years ago for violating those very issues!

Now, two-and-a-half years later, Jobs is cool with it? What changed? I realize drives can be improved and all, but did Jobs' actual thinking on this whole thing do a 180 also? He was so proud of himself in January 2002. It almosts seems backwards: today's iMac G5 should've been the one released in 2002 and the sunflower unveiled this morning.

:\

That's at the crux of my whole view on this new iMac, I think. It feels uninspired and it seems to contradict everything Jobs made a big point of a few years ago. Almost like a "if YOU guys don't believe in it, how can I?" kind of thing...

But you know what? I need to see this in person because I know from experience that Apple PR photos NEVER do these products justice. They are always more sleek, glossy, refined, detailed, touchable, huggable, eye-popping, etc. when seen in person.

So I've got THAT going for me... :D Maybe a trip to Atlanta is in the cards this weekend. Are these in stores yet, simply as demo models even? I know they don't ship until mid-month, but the store might have a couple sitting out, right? I'll call later this week...

MCQ
2004-08-31, 08:59
Meh. It's very impressive that they fit it in the way they have, even though the design isn't visually striking.

I'm also a little disappointed in the specs (the SW in me talking :) ).
Couple random picks at the specs:
- FSB 1/3 of CPU speed. bah.
- 4x SD. Freaking eMac has better SD speed, I don't care if that thing is vertical or not.
- Typical viewing angle:
17-inch models
120° horizontal
90° vertical
WTF? :confused:

The 20" looks like a great value, not so sure on either 17".

Off to 6 hrs of classes, be back later :(

Moogs
2004-08-31, 09:00
WAY too much white space on the bottom front side of the panel. Not sure what their reasons were for doing this but I hope they were good (i.e. engineering not design fetish) reasons. It has a very nice form factor but it simply is not attractive.

The specs however are pretty damn good. You basically have a G5 Tower with a screen in exchange for a slower FSB and a slower video card. And the prices are really pretty damn good. If it weren't so damn ugly, I'd want one.

:|

Messiahtosh
2004-08-31, 09:01
It's called "joking around", Chris. :)

Ooh, gotta say this (since it's also eating at me this morning): how does this design reconcile with all that Jobs said two-and-a-half years ago during the unveiling of the iMac G4? All that business about letting elements be true to themselves, not glomming the guts on the back of the display, optical drives performing better when they're horizontally positioned, etc.

In fact, this new iMac G5 probably looks a lot like one of the many designs Ive submitted that were pooh-poohed by Jobs three or so years ago for violating those very issues!

Now, two-and-a-half years later, Jobs is cool with it? What changed? I realize drives can be improved and all, but did Jobs' actual thinking on this whole thing do a 180 also? He was so proud of himself in January 2002. It almosts seems backwards: today's iMac G5 should've been the one released in 2002 and the sunflower unveiled this morning.

That's at the crux of my whole view on this new iMac, I think. It feels uninspired and it seems to contradict everything Jobs made a big point of a few years ago. Almost like a "if YOU guys don't believe in it, how can I?" kind of thing...

But you know what? I need to see this in person because I know from experience that Apple PR photos NEVER do these products justice. They are always more sleek, glossy, refined, detailed, touchable, huggable, eye-popping, etc. when seen in person.How? It's not glommed on the back, nothing juts out! There is less here now than there ever was before on the iMac 2. That's how. The elements hardly need to be true to anything, considering they are almost nonexistent. The design is eye-popping enough to have just been all over CNN.

I think it's absolutely gorgeous, and when you see one and realize it's price/performance ratio, you'll want one.

2004-08-31, 09:04
I'm really on the fence with this one.

The graphics card is abysmal with no option to upgrade, the RAM allocation is pathetic, no friggin ports on the front, and I'm really not a big fan of vertically mounted drives.

On the other hand, I'm not opposed to the design at all. I like the 'Jay Leno' front...if for nothing else than the fact I'm a Post-It note freak. The price seems OK for the processing power inside, and all-in-all it's a perfect, unobtrusive machine for dorms and 'first-timers'.

I just have to keep telling myself, "It's a consumer machine, 709, and you're not a consumer."

Whatever. At least it's not made out of aluminum.

psmith2.0
2004-08-31, 09:08
It's about two-and-a-half times thicker than the iMac G4 display. I call that "glommed on" (for the worse). :)

Hey, it's just discussion. No one - including me - is insulting your children or family members, so don't veer off into that weird territory again where people aren't allowed to disagree with you, okay? Remember the other day?

;)

I totally dig the specs and pricing. I think getting a machine with that much muscle for those prices is pretty damn cool! It's the machine I'd like my boss to buy us, truth be told! I wouldn't mind working on the 20" everyday (compared to the 400MHz Sawtooth G4 I'm on!)

Satchmo
2004-08-31, 09:11
As an aside, who made the iMac announcement? Schiller?
And was Jobs anywhere to be seen?

psmith2.0
2004-08-31, 09:12
...and when you see one and realize it's price/performance ratio, you'll want one.

Well I can assure you that I won't. :)

Why? Because I love the freedom my PowerBook gives me. Combine that with the fact that I don't want (or need) to own two computers (a laptop and desktop), because one will end up, inevitably, neglected or not used to its fullest, and I'd rather save the money or spend it on other things. I've been down that road before (owned an iMac and iBook during an 8-month period, years ago) and it's not for me.

So no, I won't want one. Trust me on this.

I'd totally recommend them to a friend, however. Or I wouldn't mind having one at work (rather than another tower + display solution). But personally, no I have no desire. Actually, I haven't wanted anything else from Apple since getting my PowerBook (not a G5, iBook, eMac, new iMac). Like I said, I kinda viewed this iMac G5 as Apple's last chance to make me want a desktop again. They didn't accomplish that this morning. I feel pretty confident in this stance.

I WOULD like a 20" or 23" Cinema Display, I'll cop to that. But that's about it, hardware-wise!

2004-08-31, 09:13
Oh, and one more thing. I think "From the creators of iPod" is brilliant, and speaks to potential 'switchers' more than we as Apple Lovers™ can possibly fathom.

Let the media blitz begin.

As if. :\

johnq
2004-08-31, 09:13
I want someone to mimic the new Cinema/iMac display stand for the iPods. :D That'd be cute.

http://www.nullface.com/ai/ipod.jpg

Messiahtosh
2004-08-31, 09:15
And that begs the question, what will the commercial be like? Hopefully a visual tie-in with the iPod.

And anyway, it is not glommed on, it is a G5 not a G4. If they had used the same concept with a G4 then the whole thing could be as thin on tbe back as a PowerBook...or thinner.

This is a G5, and it takes up less overall desk area than the iMac G4.

Gizzer
2004-08-31, 09:17
Ok, have just finished perusing the Apple.com specs.

The only picture that even makes is look vaguely interesting is seeing it in use on this page: Woman At Desk (http://www.apple.com/imac/software.html). Seeing it "Real world" always helps to give the real picture.

BUT after initially thinking "maybe I could get used to it", I looked at it 10 minutes later and thought "Hang on, that just looks like a PC monitor" and nothing more special than that. OK we all know the gubbins IS the monitor and there's no hidden tower but: SO WHAT?!?! Everyone that ever see's this will assume there is a tower somewhere under the desk.

They'll say "Wow" when you tell them they are looking at the whole thing, but you'll never get the impact of seeing a 2G iMac that appears in every TV show that wants to appear hi-tech.

Also - in my case EVERY port would already be taken up in the new iMac (as it is in my current one), but with the 2G iMac, all those cords slope happily away from the base and into a hole in my desk. With the 3G iMac a shite-load of spaghetti is going to be trailing out of the "monitor" and then onto my desktop and then finally in to the hole in the desk. The stand could have at the very least become an advanced i/o hub for all the USB/Firewire ports etc.

Messiahtosh
2004-08-31, 09:22
I think we also need to realize that this design will evolve a lot too. I think the bezel plastic is going to get peeled away as the years go. Rev B, baby.

psmith2.0
2004-08-31, 09:24
I want someone to mimic the new Cinema/iMac display stand for the iPods. :D That'd be cute.

http://www.nullface.com/ai/ipod.jpg

johnq, that's pretty neat. That would actually look cool sitting next to a new iMac. And I agree with 709 about playing up the iPod angle. If all those non-Mac users out there who have an iPod and love it can hook onto the "hey, it's from the same company so it's probably just as cool!" angle, then - properly advertised and pushed - this might actually mean something this time around.

Goodness, I hope. I sure don't want to be back here in eight months, lamenting the stalled, stagnant sales of these things because, truthfully, it seems no lessons from the past have been learned or implemented in this new iMac either (upgradeable graphics being primary).

I hope we don't wind up with another iMac G4 situation, 8-12 months from now.

I'll be curious to see how the press (the non-Mac-centric press) views this new model. Will they heap the same criticisms on it, or will they be impressed enough by its specs/pricing that it'll win them over?

There's no reason this thing shouldn't sell like crazy for the holidays. But, leave it to Apple to let it lie there, unassisted for the next four months.

:rolleyes:

johnq
2004-08-31, 09:26
WAY too much white space on the bottom front side of the panel. Not sure what their reasons were for doing this but I hope they were good (i.e. engineering not design fetish) reasons. It has a very nice form factor but it simply is not attractive. :|

When you realize that the iMac is more akin to an Xserve G5 than anything else, it makes sense why that extra space is there.

The 16x9 screen is not the function the form is following as one might initially expect. It is essentially an Xserve form factor with a display tacked on, rotated -90 degrees and suspended vertically. http://www.apple.com/xserve/specs.html

I know, it's not an really an XServe. but both XServe and iMac are squat roughly 4x3 slabs with G5s (iMac having only one) and some drives. Similar airflow solution.

I'm just saying it is less "Cinema Display with guts of an iMac squeezed into it" and more "Dumbed down Xserve with a display tacked on top"...

None of which is meant to disparage any of the above. It's jsut a good way to explain the extra white space and the initially baffling 4x3'edness of the new iMac.

I mean they had to have thought "we already solved this problem (compactness with a G5) with the Xserve. Just pretty it up and stand it on its ass and tack on a display". Works for me.

Satchmo
2004-08-31, 09:31
I think I have the reason for the large white area on the front.

Obviously it was no easy feat to cram all that stuff into a slim 2" pizza box. Instead of making it thicker (bad), the screen then had to be larger, vertically. While at first it may seem like a dilemma for the design team, it actually helps in "pushing" the screen up to the optimal viewing level.

The need to raise the display (with an arm like iMac2), is eliminated. The hinged display allow still for further minor adjustments. No, you can't swing the display around horizontally to the side like the sunflower design. But then again you couldn't turn the whole iMac2 CPU around like you can with this current one.

Eugene
Anybody disappointed in the specs of the new iMac should go to Dell.com this very instant and try configuring an equivalent Dell Dimension 4600C. (http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&cs=19&kc=6V590&l=en&oc=D46CSO&s=dhs)

I tried very hard to get the price down, and the Dell still had lesser RAM, HDD, connectivity, graphics, sound and peripheral options. Make sure you configure the computer with a digital 17" flat panel and not the crappy analog one.

psmith2.0
Yeah, I guess they're thinking people can route their hardwired stuff through that little hole, in effect gathering/corraling your cable situation together. That might work, I suppose.

Still should have one USB and one FireWire port on the front face for easy access. That's just insane these days. I honestly assumed that would have been requirement #1 from Mr. Digital Hub himself, Steve.

"Jon, I don't want people having to reach around and fumble to plug their iPods in...keep that in mind".

It just dawned on me too...no external speakers. That downward-shooting grille is it, then? You can, of course, hook JBL Creatures or whatever to it. I wonder how it sounds, with those built-in ones?

I need to go to work on my boss, because OS 9 and a 400MHz G4 tower are getting on my wick. :D

"Hey Lewis, check this wild stuff out...where's your credit card, my man?"

Hmmm, I've got a mission now...

Messiahtosh
2004-08-31, 09:35
Go for it Paul!

And anyway, why not get bluetooth so you dont need wires running from the front? Apple may be pushing their wireless peripherals and bluetooth upgrade, by not offering a few front plugs.

kretara
2004-08-31, 09:35
It looks like Apple took a design theme out of IBM's book with the AIO computer attached to LCD theme

http://www.yopi.de/images/prod_pics/85/e/85468.jpg

Its called the Netvista AIO.
I wish that I could find a better picture. The LCD/Computer portion was like 8" thick and it had this massively heavy base that kept the "lcd" from falling over. One of my friends had one when they first came about (2-3 years ago I think). He only had it for 6 months because it was such a piece of shite.

johnq
2004-08-31, 09:36
Don't forget, computer speakers are mostly passé now that we can stream iTunes via AirTunes to our stereos. :D

Escher
2004-08-31, 09:39
I couldn't agree more with pscates' comparison of the iMac G5 to Jay Leno. That big white expanse below the LCD negates the wide-screen effect and indeed makes it look like a flat "eMac on a stick."

With that said, I have no doubt that the iMac G5 will look much better in person (rather than the silly 3D renderings on the Apple website), especially in a real-life home environment. I could very well see myself buying an iMac G5 in the next year or so -- mounted above the countertop on a VESA arm it would be perfect to surf the web, check e-mail, and watch TV in our kitchen.

Despite the less-than-striking design, I am persuaded that the new iMac G5 will sell like hotcakes. It's still worlds ahead of anyting available in the PC camp.

Finally, I am very glad I bought my 12-inch PowerBook in June instead of waiting to see what the iMac G5 looked like. I know that my little PowerBook G4 won't hold a candle to the new iMac G5. But I was, and still am, after portability. I might get a desktop Mac to supplement my PowerBook when I can afford it. But in the meantime, I truly believe that my PowerBook offers me the best of both worlds like nothing else.

Escher

Moogs
2004-08-31, 09:42
I think I have the reason for the large white area on the front.

Obviously it was no easy feat to cram all that stuff into a slim 2" pizza box. Instead of making it thicker (bad), the screen then had to be larger, vertically. While at first it may seem like a dilemma for the design team, it actually helps in "pushing" the screen up to the optimal viewing level.

The need to raise the display (with an arm like iMac2), is eliminated. The hinged display allow still for further minor adjustments. No, you can't swing the display around horizontally to the side like the sunflower design. But then again you couldn't turn the whole iMac2 CPU around like you can with this current one.

Those are interesting possibilities / ways to look at it. I just think it looks really bottom-heavy, although, Post-it freaks will love this thing. Unfortunately it doesn't easily lend itself to off-color names like "tit-Mac" anymore. :)

Gizzer
2004-08-31, 09:43
Don't forget, computer speakers are mostly passé now that we can stream iTunes via AirTunes to our stereos. :D

Maybe for you, but if I streamed via Airtunes to my stereo, all I'd hear is a muffled sound coming from the other side of the house in the living room.....

Computer speakers are not passé! :p

alcimedes
2004-08-31, 09:46
honsetly, no ports in the front qualifies as a deal breaker for me. between USB cameras, iPods and USB thumb drives, i use the front port on my G5 all the time. i also use the side ports on my laptop all the time. when it comes to items that have to be plugged/unplugged on a regular basis, having all of the ports in the back is a huge pain in the ass.

couple that with the fact that more USB devices are requiring higher powered ports, and the keyboard USB plugs just don't work. oh well. maybe the next revision will have ports in front. until then i'll sit on it, or order the low-end G5.

torifile
I think we also need to realize that this design will evolve a lot too. I think the bezel plastic is going to get peeled away as the years go. Rev B, baby.
Do you have kool-aid running in your veins? I mean, the new iMac is interesting but you haven't even seen one in person and your making plans to marry it.

psmith2.0
Yeah, I'm waiting for some reviewer or writer to make that observation (the Post-It note thing). :D

Some wise-ass with Photoshop (http://homepage.mac.com/pscates/mockups/postit.jpg) and time on his hands will probably throw something together to show that... ;)

Satchmo
2004-08-31, 09:48
I wonder if this new iMac could serve as a display in itself.

In other words if you already have PowerMac, could you use this iMac display as a standalone monitor?
That way you could harness the power of your Dual 2.5 G5 for serious work at the office, and then detach and bring the iMac home for play.

By the way, how cool would it be to unhook the 20" (after hours on Applenova) and hang it on the wall and watch a movie. :)

chung123
2004-08-31, 09:48
LoL....putting a disk in the side is "bad" yet having a rats nest of cables jutting out of the right side makes "a lot more sense"...

I need to sleep...

Exactly!
I'm glad they didn't put the ports on the side...
It would have been a Medusa looking thing with cables hanging out of the sides.(with the printer cable--the CAT cable, keyboard cable)

But still...is everyone going completely wireless?? Including the keyboard and mouse?

I'm going to have to let this new design grow on me...I need to see it in person....

Messiahtosh
2004-08-31, 09:49
No, I just think most of the assessments of the iMac are not being properly thought through.

That "Jay Leno" chin wont seem so big in person...remember, this is a 17 or 20 inch display we're talking about. :eek:

Luca
2004-08-31, 09:58
Specs are decent. For the price, they're very good, mainly when you consider what a great built-in display you're getting. Main complaint is the lack of BTO options for, say, the video card ;). But overall it's a good computer.

Design is poor. Ugly. No front ports. I also noted that in all the PR pictures, it has a wireless keyboard and mouse. What if you want to use a wired keyboard and mouse? Because the ports are all hanging in the air instead of near the surface like they should be, you'll have your keyboard cord dangling in the air. Easy-access ports on the side like on the iBook would be better, probably, although it would have made the keyboard connection even worse.

I agree that it's a step back in design. What everyone was really hoping for was a change in the overall strategy Apple took towards the iMac. We wanted a non-AIO, lightly upgradable machine where we could replace the monitor. People were willing to ditch the form factor if it meant keeping costs down or going to a headless model, but it seems like what Apple did was get rid of an excellent form factor while keeping the computer essentially the same.

So, what's the count?

+ Larger screens for less money
+ Excellent value compared to many PCs
+ Wall mounting
+ G5 for relatively cheap
- No BTO options, even for the el cheapo video card
- No front ports, just a blank white expanse
- No monitor spanning... why exactly?
- Ports on the back, causes cords to dangle
- Laptop optical drive
- Ugly
- Wall mounting makes no sense as you can't even plug in the power without at least two inches between the computer and the wall.

Messiahtosh - why would they purposely make their computer inconvenient unless you order a $100 BTO option? If that was the case, why not build it with 64 MB of RAM and then charge $250 to upgrade it to 256 MB, to make a few extra bucks? Or maybe they could raise the price by $100 across the board and include the bluetooth keyboard and mouse with it. Or maybe they could have just used a good design in the first place. I like the last option. Your idea of "pushing users to upgrade" sounds very Dell-ish.

johnq
2004-08-31, 09:58
Maybe for you, but if I streamed via Airtunes to my stereo, all I'd hear is a muffled sound coming from the other side of the house in the living room.....

Computer speakers are not passé! :p

Oh, I was speaking in my "As Apple would have you believe" voice...sorry. :)

Myself, I use my Sony DJ headphones. ;)

scratt
2004-08-31, 10:01
I really think we all have to look at one in the flesh...

My first opinions were all focused on that big white space at the bottom of the screen. Yeuch!

And I am not stupid and I DO THINK that it bodes well for G5 portables.
Calling it a laptop on a stick and saying people will just think it is that doesn't really cut it for me. It is very close to a laptop.. but then the gap between 'real' machines and desktops has been narrowing rapidly.

We all know (the intelligent ones anyway - and not the trolls) that the power supply is the problem with G5's, more than the heat. Heat is just a by product of the power used. So Laptops still have a bit of a way to come...

When I first saw the last iMac I thought... hmmm not sure until I actually saw one in the flesh... then I was sold on it.

To be honest I didn't like the design of the Gen 1 iPod. Loved the idea. Bought one straight away, but still thought it was a bit 'bricky'.

I love my Gen2 ipod which I got the moment they came out. Lovelly. But the white is getting a bit bland these days.

I have the same feeling about this one.... But I bet if I saw one in a box fresh from the Apple store, or in the Apple store with my credit card in my pocket I would probably buy one if I didn't have the Macs I want already.

I know my other half is gonna have one as soon as we can buy it and my old 14" (which she uses now) is gonna become a music station, backup system and glorified router for our home Apple network...

I really think everyone should wait till they see one for real.

But, that is not to say i don't have issues with the big white flabby midriff on the thing!!

scratt.

p.s. I do think Ive might have made it as a joke too! Now that would be something to go in an Apple book in a few years time!! LOL!

Gizzer
2004-08-31, 10:02
No, I just think most of the assessments of the iMac are not being properly thought through.

That "Jay Leno" chin wont seem so big in person...remember, this is a 17 or 20 inch display we're talking about. :eek:

Yeah, but surely your eyes will say "Big 19inch monitor frame, but only a tiny 17inch widescreen display" On my iMac 2 17" all you see is the screen and think "WOW - look at the monitor".

I could be wrong. But as you say, it'll be hard to judge until seen in the flesh.

Eugene
2004-08-31, 10:02
- Wall mounting makes no sense as you can't even plug in the power without at least two inches between the computer and the wall.
Most people considering wall-mounting will probably also consider making the necessary alterations to their walls to fit the device.

Messiahtosh
2004-08-31, 10:03
Messiahtosh - why would they purposely make their computer inconvenient unless you order a $100 BTO option? If that was the case, why not build it with 64 MB of RAM and then charge $250 to upgrade it to 256 MB, to make a few extra bucks? Or maybe they could raise the price by $100 across the board and include the bluetooth keyboard and mouse with it. Or maybe they could have just used a good design in the first place. I like the last option. Your idea of "pushing users to upgrade" sounds very Dell-ish.It works without the bluetooth, but the design (not on purpose) sort of pushes the wireless option. I dont know if it was intended or not, all I know is that if I'm spending over 1300 on a computer, I might as well do it right. Apple did it right.

Luca
2004-08-31, 10:08
Wait, so making it so the cord dangles down in an ugly and non Apple-like fashion is "doing it right"?

Eugene
2004-08-31, 10:16
Wait, so making it so the cord dangles down in an ugly and non Apple-like fashion is "doing it right"?
Dangling cords? Surely that's what the ring in the stand is there to prevent...

bassplayinMacFiend
2004-08-31, 10:28
Expo pics can be found here: --> http://homepage.mac.com/morgan68/AppleExpo/PhotoAlbum31.html

Many real world pictures of the new iMac (with cords! ;) ). These pics shine the new iMac in a better light than the Apple.com photos.

Eugene
2004-08-31, 10:32
If you're not with the new iMac, you're with Paul Thurrott.

http://www.internet-nexus.com/2004_08_29_archive.htm#109395576119959214

Thanks Paul...now f--- off and die.

SKMDC
2004-08-31, 10:37
Expo pics can be found here: --> http://homepage.mac.com/morgan68/AppleExpo/PhotoAlbum31.html

Many real world pictures of the new iMac (with cords! ;) ). These pics shine the new iMac in a better light than the Apple.com photos.

nice photos....this one brings up a questionhttp://homepage.mac.com/morgan68/.Pictures/Paris%20Keynote%20-%20Expo/DSCN3128.jpg

you can mount this on a wall?

johnq
2004-08-31, 10:42
Yes but a VESA mount does not mean it will be flush against the wall. It will be several inches away at least.

EDIT: On second thought, I'm not even sure if it uses a VESA mount. Anyway, if it does, it wouldn't be flush :)

DMBand0026
2004-08-31, 10:43
It took a couple minutes of really looking at that thing to figure out if I liked it or not. And the verdict is in, I gotta love it. Sure it's not perfect, sure it's not the most amazing looking thing Apple has ever built, but it's what everyone was asking for.

Low price
big LCD
G5
Quiet
Decent graphics
Fast

Can't argue with all that. I knew there would be people complaining like there's no tomorrow, so this doesn't surprise me :no:

But I like it a lot, and I think it's gonna sell great.

psmith2.0
2004-08-31, 10:46
Okay, that one Expo photo right there goes a LONG way toward undoing the damage caused by Apple's sucky PR shots.

It's so glossy and pretty. That looks quite nice. Gonna check out the others...

(no, I still ain't getting one...but maybe I'll learn to say nicer things about it?)

;)

kscherer
2004-08-31, 10:47
To all the nay-sayers, I have this to say:

If you are not satisfied with the new iMac, it is your own fault, not Apple's. We have spent the last few months in these forums griping about what the new iMac SHOULD look like, posting cutsie pics and going on and on about the possibilites.

You should look at it this way:

In order for Apple to squeeze the G5 guts into a wonderfully slim laptop, they must first squeeze them as they did with the new iMac. They did an incredible job of basically placing a G5 tower behind a 20" monitor 2" thick. Granted, it is not as expandable as we would all like, but keep in mind that this is the first iMac with consumer access to the entire motherboard!

I will have to say that this is not what I was expecting, either. It resembles the eMac way too much from the front. However, it is an engineering masterpiece. There isn't a single 64-bit PC on the market for less than about $2000.00, yet Apple managed to give us one for $1299.00! Incredible.

In the future, if you set your sites too high, you will likely be dissapointed. Try to expect less, and perhaps you will fall in love with what you are given!

I will be buying a 20" this month, and I will be joyful that I can retire my old blue iMac 350 (web server), replace it with my iMac FP 800, and have a brand new, 64-bit machine for development.

Cheers!

kretara
2004-08-31, 10:48

The best looking thing I see in those pictures is the BMW. I want to see the new iMac in person to get the feel of it but I can't say that the new pictures make me think better of the design.

johnq
2004-08-31, 10:48
The gloss is actually potentially annoying. At an angle we'll see a lot of fluorescent lights reflected into our eyes or sunlit exteriors...or people walking past your desk behind you....etc. :)

Ah well, no worse than a CRT screen. ;)

SKMDC
2004-08-31, 10:49
Okay, that one Expo photo right there goes a LONG way toward undoing the damage caused by Apple's sucky PR shots.

(no, I still ain't getting one...but maybe I'll learn to say nicer things about it?)

;)

that's what i was going to say....i was kind of ambivalent until i saw these snapshots....

scratt
2004-08-31, 10:54
Like I said... We need to see one in the flesh.

If it looks even half as good as it does in that photo it is a really nice piece of kit...

scratt.

johnq
2004-08-31, 10:55
They did an incredible job of basically placing a G5 tower behind a 20" monitor 2" thick.

More like they did an incredible job of basically placing a cinema display on top of an Xserve.

I feel that the Xserve is much closer relative. Rotated a bit as far as airflow and made vertical.

http://images.apple.com/xserve/images/design_heatb_010604.jpg

Sure the iMac is all-new (and somewhat dumbed down in certain respects) but a lot of the design issues were hammered out in the Xserve.

http://images.apple.com/imac/images/designopenanim20040831.gif
http://images.apple.com/imac/images/designcooling08312004.jpg

psmith2.0
2004-08-31, 10:57
...but keep in mind that this is the first iMac with consumer access to the entire motherboard!

Why the hard-on over that? You can't do much more than up the RAM, right? And you could do that easily with the iMac DV and iMac G4 (that one slot, anyway). After taking that back off a few times, to simply LOOK at the guts, I'm sure the novelty will wear off.

Unless I'm missing something (and the graphics, drives, etc. are all user upgradeable), why is this a big thing? RAM and AirPort are about the only two things meant to be upped in the iMacs, traditionally. Is this new one a bit more open and upgradeable?

I'm genuinely asking, because if not access to the motherboard doesn't really jazz me one way or the other. I'd probably open it once to pack it with RAM, and that's it.

scratt
2004-08-31, 11:00
Why the hard-on over that? You can't do much more than up the RAM, right? And you could do that easily with the iMac DV and iMac G4 (that one slot, anyway). After taking that back off a few times, to simply LOOK at the guts, I'm sure the novelty will wear off.

Unless I'm missing something (and the graphics, drives, etc. are all user upgradeable), why is this a big thing? RAM and AirPort are about the only two things meant to be upped in the iMacs, traditionally. Is this new one a bit more open and upgradeable?

I'm genuinely asking, because if not access to the motherboard doesn't really jazz me one way or the other. I'd probably open it once to pack it with RAM, and that's it.

Ah dude....

I bet you never took watches apart as a kid either!! :p

Eugene
2004-08-31, 11:03
I just had a brilliant idea...

Instead of that hideous empty space, why not put an ant farm under the bottom edge of the screen?

An ANT FARM!! DO YOU KNOW HOW COOL THAT WOULD BE??!?!

ZO
2004-08-31, 11:06
couple pictures on my site.

lemme know if you want full res versions for closer viewing

http://homepage.mac.com/zo66/PhotoAlbum56.html

Satchmo
2004-08-31, 11:07
Unless I'm missing something (and the graphics, drives, etc. are all user upgradeable), why is this a big thing?

I think it's still unknown if the video card is a daughtercard variant which will allow for upgrades.

psmith2.0
2004-08-31, 11:07
No. That's probably the angle I'm missing then... :)

Okay then.

Hey kscherer, just to be clear on a few things:

1. The talk here from people not 100% floored by it is a) kinda valid and b) focused on a specific thing

2. I can't speak for everyone here, but I didn't build this up into some unreasonable thing at all. I wasn't expecting some pencil-thin design and $899 price tag. BUT, I also wasn't expecting to see such a stock, uninspired approach either (when Jobs HIMSELF railed against this very thing a couple of years ago).

3. I don't do cutesy pics. :p

4. FWIW, I'm coming around to a bit more than I was six hours ago. It's slowly growing on me. And the Apple fan/loyalist in me only wants the best and for this thing to sell and not have supply problems.

Believe me...I hinge on this crap, and it gives me no joy whatsoever to not genuinely be floored by a new product (because, for nearly six years now, I HAVE been, every time).

That's all. But I can't sit and lie and pretend I dig something if I don't. But I don't get like some and expect wild-ass specs (I didn't expect 1.8GHz, to be honest!) and ridiculously low prices. I just never thought they'd go thicker, bulkier and with LESS screen mobility.

That kinda stung, earlier this morning. But it's a whole new beast, I realize, this G5. If those are the concessions and sacrifices that have to be made to make a really kick-ass consumer Mac, then so be it.

As long as it sells and maybe some PC people come on board and it proves itself to be a great machine, then we won't have to be sitting here, months from now, talking about it the same way the iMac G4 just got talked about...that's my only fear. Strip it all away, and there's not much difference: still a fairly non-upgradeable AIO that, if history is any indication, Apple won't push as much as they should (maybe one commercial?). That's the part that makes me chew my nails a bit...I hope this one does better BEYOND the initial thrill rush of its "NEW!" period.

BenRoethig
2004-08-31, 11:18
[quote]WAY too much white space on the bottom front side of the panel. Not sure what their reasons were for doing this but I hope they were good (i.e. engineering not design fetish) reasons. It has a very nice form factor but it simply is not attractive.[\quote]

That would be where the power supply is located.

Messiahtosh
2004-08-31, 11:21
No. That's probably the angle I'm missing then... :)

Okay then.

Hey kscherer, just to be clear on a few things:

1. The talk here from people not 100% floored by it is a) kinda valid and b) focused on a specific thing

2. I can't speak for everyone here, but I didn't build this up into some unreasonable thing at all. I wasn't expecting some pencil-thin design and $899 price tag. BUT, I also wasn't expecting to see such a stock, uninspired approach either (when Jobs HIMSELF railed against this very thing a couple of years ago).

3. I don't do cutesy pics. :p

4. FWIW, I'm coming around to a bit more than I was six hours ago. It's slowly growing on me. And the Apple fan/loyalist in me only wants the best and for this thing to sell and not have supply problems.

Believe me...I hinge on this crap, and it gives me no joy whatsoever to not genuinely be floored by a new product (because, for nearly six years now, I HAVE been, every time).

That's all. But I can't sit and lie and pretend I dig something if I don't. But I don't get like some and expect wild-ass specs (I didn't expect 1.8GHz, to be honest!) and ridiculously low prices. I just never thought they'd go thicker, bulkier and with LESS screen mobility.

That kinda stung, earlier this morning. But it's a whole new beast, I realize, this G5. If those are the concessions and sacrifices that have to be made to make a really kick-ass consumer Mac, then so be it.

As long as it sells and maybe some PC people come on board and it proves itself to be a great machine, then we won't have to be sitting here, months from now, talking about it the same way the iMac G4 just got talked about...that's my only fear. Strip it all away, and there's not much difference: still a fairly non-upgradeable AIO that, if history is any indication, Apple won't push as much as they should (maybe one commercial?). That's the part that makes me chew my nails a bit...I hope this one does better BEYOND the initial thrill rush of its "NEW!" period.

:(But the difference is...the G5. That's pretty much the clincher. It took soooo long for the iMac to go G4...and now it's already a G5!

kscherer
2004-08-31, 11:25
More like they did an incredible job of basically placing a cinema display on top of an Xserve.

I feel that the Xserve is much closer relative. Rotated a bit as far as airflow and made vertical.

http://images.apple.com/xserve/images/design_heatb_010604.jpg

Sure the iMac is all-new (and somewhat dumbed down in certain respects) but a lot of the design issues were hammered out in the Xserve.

http://images.apple.com/imac/images/designopenanim20040831.gif
http://images.apple.com/imac/images/designcooling08312004.jpg

That's actually a good way of looking at it! ;)

scratt
2004-08-31, 11:31
So what's the code name for the new iMac?

Is it the 'Jay Leno' ? :lol:

psmith2.0
2004-08-31, 11:35
Chris, regarding the "it's got a G5"...is that going to be enough? Again, I'm asking. I mean, one year ago everyone acted like the G5 was going to be the end-all/be-all thing and that it would lure the power monkeys and so forth.

Didn't really.

It's got a G5. That's great. I think it's cool. Will that matter to anyone that currently uses a 2.8GHz PC or whatever? Will it matter to the outright pro who'll probably spring for the dual towers?

Don't get me wrong...I LOVE that it's a G5, the future! But don't act like that mere fact alone is going to, hands down, mean everything to everyone. Lots of people still simply not care or notice.

I think this will sell really well to current Mac people. That I do. I think it'll also sell well as a second (or third) household Mac to families. I think some prosumer types will be all over it (but some won't). Students who can afford it, sure. Many can't. Current PC users? Unassisted and unpushed, do you honestly think having a G5 is going to be the "clincher".

Because I don't.

Most people out there don't pay attention to things like that 1/10 the amount you or I do. They're doing it right by at least connecting it to the iPod, and not the G5. The G5 isn't the key here, honestly. Yes, to a smattering of already-faithful tech-head types, sure. No question. But think my Mom gives a damn if it's a G5? Nope. I promise you that.

Can it work with her Canon i860? Her Canon S45 camera? Can she find a program that lets her make greeting cards and invitations? Can she plug her beloved Kensington mouse into it and have it work (yes, we know that). Those are the things real people think about. I promise you "G5" doesn't enter into it for lots and lots of "regular joe" people.

No clincher. The "clincher" is several things, not tangible and more overall in nature. But Apple has to still battle those longstanding beliefs ("can it run Office", "what about virus and worms?", "is there software for it?", "can it work with my e-mail?", "why is it $1499 when I can get one at Sam's Club for $699 with faster Internet...".

kscherer
2004-08-31, 11:38
I have been looking at comparable PC prices to the new iMac and can't find anything even close. Do you guys know how hard it is to nav the online stores at Gateway and Dell?

Only Alienware and VooDoo offer 64-bit PCs that even come close to the stuff Apple is building. And they actually cost more!

scratt
2004-08-31, 11:39
Has anyone considered where this puts people with G4 Pro kit these days?

Already with Motion the Rev A 17" G4 is obsolete as it does not have a supported graphics card....

If the traditionally low end Mac platform is now 64 bit and has been tooled up ready for Tiger are we going to find advanced obsolecense with our current reasonably new Pro machines? Or are we going to find at least some lack of features and new software revisions being available?

Just a thought?

Messiahtosh
2004-08-31, 11:47
Paul, the thing is, the Mac, as a computing platform is just as good as any out there now. It offers choice (it really does, in my opinion) and delivers bang for the buck. Everything is there to make it THE switcher platform, over any other alternatives. This new iMac is going to gorge on fed up PC users, if it doesnt, nothing will....what else could?

kscherer
2004-08-31, 11:49
Let's also keep in mind that, as time goes by, Apple has consistently lowered the prices on their iMacs. I think that in a year or so, we will see the G5-based iMac, or a G5-based eMac for less than $1000.00. And still have widescreen displays.

It is true that most people do not understand the difference between 32-bit processing and 64-bit processing. But they will soon enough. There is no need, right now, for a 64-bit consumer machine. But there wasn't a need for 32-bit in 1984, either. Now, what consumer would be willing to make the backward jump to 16-bit processors?

Apple is single-handedly moving the industry toward 64-bit processing and the Mac developers are quickly taking advantage of that power. Consumers will eventually realize this and make the jump. The G5 iMac is the first, and only, consumer-level 64-bit computer and the ONLY 64-bit computer, period, for less than $2000.00 (big-ass monitor included).

Apple has done a great thing, here. $1300 bucks will get you a 64-bit machine with a 17" widescreen monitor. Who here would have thought that a year after the G5 intro?

The form factor may not be perfect, the expansion may not be perfect, but the bang-for-the-buck is beyond perfect! The PC industry will, once again, be playing catch up for a long time to come.

Kudos to Apple!

psmith2.0
2004-08-31, 11:54
Chris, I'm glad you said that/brought that up, because this takes us back EXACTLY to the other day when you were getting a bit testy on the whole "m" conversation... ;)

I totally agree...the iMac G5 is the ultimate consumer machine. No shit.

Guess what? It all goes back to the thing I talk about all the time: it ain't gonna matter if people don't know. Still too early to ding Apple because we don't know what their advertising/marketing for this is going to consist of.

But if Christmas rolls around and all that's been done with this is a silly vague commercial that was shown a couple of times and maybe an ad in Time and THAT'S IT, well guess what...

I don't doubt the machine AT ALL. I'm sure it kicks butt righteously for ANY consumer. What I doubt - and with damn good reason - is for regular people (ie non Mac geeks) to know about it, to give a crap, to know it could be the perfect computer for them, etc.

This new iMac could be dual 2.4GHz and cost $799, but that won't matter a bit if Apple doesn't hold up the other end of the equation and properly push/support/market the damn thing.

That's just true.

Eugene
2004-08-31, 11:55
The clincher for the on-the-fence potential iMac buyer is:

1) The old iMac is dead. Long live the dome!
2) Unlike the old iMac, the new iMac is actually a good deal and price comparable to any slimline PC desktop you find from a major OEM.

I'm considering getting one, and I never seriously entertained the idea of buying a G4 iMac.

psmith2.0
2004-08-31, 11:57
...and I'd hardly equate you with your typical longtime PC-using consumer who knows next to nothing about Apple.

kingpin10
2004-08-31, 12:02
LAPTOP ON A STICK boy thats innovative NOT! My 2 cents. BIG YAWN at 4 30 am i saw it not impressed. G5 chip and faster bus 2 of the only attractive items in my opinion. No swiveling left and right, a step back. ships with limited ram and even on the big boy only 256 and a wired keyboard a real change would have been to ship w/ wireless included. Only other positive is since it is an ibook on a stick I can only think portables or even a ipad will not be far behind.

Patrick

Luca
2004-08-31, 12:07
I bet my PowerMac G4 would womp on it. Not that it really matters, it just would.

Eugene
2004-08-31, 12:10
...and I'd hardly equate you with your typical longtime PC-using consumer who knows next to nothing about Apple.
All they need to know is that if they want a PC that goes on their desk and not under it, they should get the iMac because it is the better deal. If there can be SUV backlash, why can't there be minitower backlash? This is more an issue with marketing than anything else.

MacUsers
2004-08-31, 12:16
I'm not sure If I like it or not... link to keynote video on Apple front page.

murbot
2004-08-31, 12:21
The design is really starting to grow on me. I have a feeling this iMac is going to look really good on a nice clean desk... especially with the wireless Apple keyboard and mouse I have. Just the single power cord coming in. Yes, cords from the back for peripherals... but I don't it's going to be the rat's nest everyone seems to think. You just have to be careful how you work the cords, and use the hole in the stand, unlike the dorks who set the display machines up at the Expo. :)

I'm pretty shocked at the pricing, really. The 20" model went down by $600 CDN! That's insane. The pricing on the low end model is really, really good. I'll be picking that up for my office before long, I'm sure.

I also placed an order for a 20" model the minute the store opened up. I was dog tired and probably not thinking clearly, but I figured I'd get in at the front of the line, and if I had second thoughts I had a good long while to call in and cancel or adjust the order. But after reading all of the iMac info at Apple's site, and seeing all of the photos around of it, I'm really happy with it.

I think as more of these pop up in stores and people start posting their new setup pics, reviews, etc, it'll "catch on". Price/performance wise I think they're fine (okay, I'll concede that the video card sucks), and I'm liking the look of it more and more every time I see it.

Time will tell. :)

BenRoethig
2004-08-31, 12:24
To all the nay-sayers, I have this to say:

If you are not satisfied with the new iMac, it is your own fault, not Apple's.

That kind of attitude is why we have around 5% of the market.

Eugene
2004-08-31, 12:27
Wait, I changed my mind. There's one major deal-breaker here...

It doesn't look like I'd be able to install a FUFMe (http://www.fu-fme.com/).

Snoopy
2004-08-31, 12:28
LAPTOP ON A STICK boy thats innovative NOT! . . .

The iMac2 had lots of innovation but did not sell well. People were not willing to pay for innovative features. In the iMac3, Apple gives us a little less innovation, but a solid computer at a good price. If you don't like the look of it, go see Sony's AIO. Personally, I think the iMac3 is much better looking.

psmith2.0
2004-08-31, 12:33
All they need to know is that if they want a PC that goes on their desk and not under it, they should get the iMac because it is the better deal. If there can be SUV backlash, why can't there be minitower backlash? This is more an issue with marketing than anything else.

YES...I SAY THAT FREQUENTLY. :p Thank you.

I never doubted the machine at all. It's great. Even this morning, when I was dinging its appearance/design, I only had good stuff to say about the specs and what's under the hood.

But Apple doesn't need to make commercials aimed at you, Messiahtosh and myself. We're up at 4:30am, on the site, reading the specs for 38th time, etc.

Here's a beautiful illustration of this: Steve Jobs gets up at EVERY keynote and speaks about the whole "digital hub" thing. He shows that little graphic with a Mac surrounded by a camera, DVD disk, iPod, musical keyboard, etc. Okay, when it came time to make a commercial for the iMac G4 (well into the digital hub thing at the time), did they do something that would appeal to all those people out there, curious to see what Macs can do? No. They instead opted to show some jack-ass engaging in a face-making contest with the iMac in a store window...further promoting the whole idea of Apple - and iMacs in particular - not being a "serious" thing, and being rather childish and toy-like (a rep that took flight during the colored jellybean era).

Had they not wasted their money on such a stupid, meaningless spot and, instead, showed some condensed, 30-second meaningful meat-n-taters that made it clear the iMac is the machine to have if you're into digital music, photography, video, etc., who knows what might've been?

That's why I have little to no faith in them, because of idiocy like that. "How in the hell is this going to sell the iMac?!?!?!" I remember saying to myself.

Now the one cool thing that gives me reason to be optimistic on this new iMac: they seem to be throwing in with the iPod. And if they push this new iMac one-half as intensely and frequently as they've hawked the iPod/iTMS thing, then we might see something great happen!

:eek:

That's why I'm curious to see what the next few months hold...are they going to blow it, heading into the holidays, or are they going to finally get a clue and market this thing aggressively and cleverly, and make all those PC-using iPod owners out there crave a proper big brother for their beloved mp3 player?

BarracksSi
2004-08-31, 12:39
Seeing it you say to yourself : of course. how could it have been different.

I don't know what it is about the design or how they make it happen so well (this is why I'm not a product designer), but I was thinking the same thing.

It's fuckin' cool.

BarracksSi
2004-08-31, 12:50
Most people considering wall-mounting will probably also consider making the necessary alterations to their walls to fit the device.

Yup. Also, remember that a "wall" doesn't always have to be the kind of structure that separates the office from the bathroom.

Imagine having a large drafting/art table, a G5 iMac mounted on a post right above the far edge, with a little shelf under the side for the Bluetooth keyboard & mouse. Sure, you could kinda do the same thing with a regular computer & LCD display, but not with the same zero footprint and at the same price.

oldmacfan
2004-08-31, 12:55
Something to think about.

1. no 10/100/1000
2. no Firewire 800
3. no Monitor spanning
4. no built-in wireless

I am still amazed at what they were able to do.

dfiler
2004-08-31, 13:03
I love the new design. While I liked the ergonomics of the iMac2, it's dome base and arm seemed to have put it out of my price/performace range.

The Jay Leno effect is pretty pronounced at first. But after a few more viewings it seems more logical than many current designs. Typically, placing your display and keyboard on the desk means that either the keyboard is too high, the display too low, or both.

It actually makes ergonomic sense to raise the screen slightly higher than typical on most LCD screens. In future revisions, I expect the chin to shrink. However, for right now, it seems like an acceptable tradeoff.

I'm not interested in new designs just for the sake of newness. While this case form has been done before, the new iMac is the most elegant version I've seen yet.

In a few years time, I can see speed becoming a non issue for many users, making form the paramount buying factor. If successful, I predict that the iMac will change the way people view computers. No longer will they expect cumbersom boxes a dangling cords. Instead, they'll expect a keyboard, mouse, and display... with only a single power cord.

Then... we'll all have to wax nostalgic over the days when computers were huge boxes connected by wires. Remember when computers used to obliterate everything else on your desk?

How primitive. ;)

psmith2.0
2004-08-31, 13:23
I'm slowly warming to the thing. It's taken 8-9 hours. Those "real life" pics from the Expo helped. I don't know why, but Apple's PR shots never capture the look just right.

If I needed a desktop, this is how I'd go, no question! I hate me some towers! :mad:

A buddy just e-mailed me and he ordered one for he and his wife (it'll be their second Mac...they have a 400MHz G3 Lime iMac DV).

This will be quite a step up. They got the $1499 17" model. They'll love it. And I've got another buddy - she's big into Painter and Photoshop - e-mailing me, asking about it. She currently uses a blue-and-white G3 and matching 17" Studio Display (the three-legged CRT model). Now SHE'S all wound up and eyeing it. She'd REALLY appreciate the leap, pushing those pixels around like she does!

:eek:

Days like this make me, more than anything, wish I were filthy, stinking 9-digit rich...I would've already ordered about eight of these for my absolute closest friends and relatives. Kinda a "thank you for putting up with me all these years" gift.

Eugene
2004-08-31, 13:27
I'm slowly warming to the thing. It's taken 8-9 hours. Those "real life" pics from the Expo helped. I don't know why, but Apple's PR shots never capture the look just right.
LOL. No, you hate the thing! It's awful! It looks like Reese Witherspoon's chin.

Days like this make me, more than anything, wish I were filthy, stinking 9-digit rich...I would've already ordered about eight of these for my absolute closest friends and relatives. Kinda a "thank you for putting up with me all these years" gift.

I'm sure the decision would be just as easy if you were only 7 or 8-digit rich.

BarracksSi
2004-08-31, 13:36
LOL. No, you hate the thing! It's awful! It looks like Reese Witherspoon's chin.

Heh -- yeah, but if you're like me, you think that Reese Witherspoon is really cute...

But, I don't mind the chin. It gives someplace for sticky notes, corporate/museum logos, and stuff like that, and it makes it easy to grab & adjust. Plus, since it's so plain, it's pretty neutral and won't distract from the screen a whole lot.

That's one thing I've appreciated about Apple's general design trend -- there's not a whole lot to distract from what's happening on-screen. Even Safari's brushed metal appearance doesn't interfere with the look of web pages, while every stinkin' Windows window has all that extraneous crap. The jellybean iMacs, too, have a pretty plain front face.

MacRGood4U
2004-08-31, 13:43
Analysts on Wall Street are optimistic about the new iMac. Pricing vs. previous model is lower. They are saying it will do much better then my beloved 17" LCD iMac. Another interesting item, and I'm not technically savvy enough, but some commentators are saying you should wait before dissing the graphics card. Since this iMac uses new architecture and a faster front buss speed along with the G5 chip, video performance may surprise vs. the previous iMac. Expo photos show the iMac to be more interesting and with lots of little details the website "flat looking" photos never show. This has been going on for years, commenting positively or mostly negatively based on highly doctored photos from the website rather then waiting to see it in person or looking at more realistic photos which are now available. A winner.

Messiahtosh
2004-08-31, 13:50
You know it will get some stupid commercial in which people are searching frantically for the actual computer. :lol:

psmith2.0
2004-08-31, 13:56
"Honey, where's the tower? What did you do with it? Did you see it in the box?"

I have a question: in what type of environment are these kinds of photos taken? Who all is involved: model, photographers, assistants, etc.

http://images.apple.com/imac/images/softwarelifestyle20040831.jpg

I ask because I remember when the white iBooks were first announced, they had video of all those Henrico country grade schoolers using them. Others were around and there HAD to have been a film crew there to film/photograph it all.

With all that in mind, how do these things manage to stay secret? That young woman in the pic above...I suppose she's under some NDA thing, as are all those kids in that iBook promo? Everytime I see something like this - a photo or video of a product JUST released where everyone in it is carrying on as though they've had the thing for months - I always wonder about that.

How long ago do you suppose the above photo was taken? Weeks? Months? Yesterday morning? :p

People like to talk, and if I was the microphone/audio guy, set carpenter or caterer involved in the filming of some new iMac or PowerBook promo video or photo shoot like above...

Does everyone take a blood oath or something?

Anyone have some insight or stories on this?

futuretheory
2004-08-31, 14:20
Couple quick thoughts. It is a perfect design to try and collect some switchers currently with PC's and iPod's. It doesn't do a lot for me design-wise, but it's first rev. I actually like the streamlined form factor, but the bright white is getting old. Put that baby in anodized aluminum and we have a winner.

I agree the swing arm was more useful and this is a step back, but let's face it, the design didn't sell well. Too many "iLamp" comparisons etc. It's all about perception, not true value sadly. This design is more practical in many ways, like upgrading so that's nice. I don't know how practical the "floating" computer will be or how streamlined it will look when you have cords hanging off the back; forget wall mounting too...should have put those on the side I fear.

But finally, my main irk is that the flat-screen is so "attached" to the device. The perception out there is that LCD's are valuable and good. They also know that they out live the CPU by years. These too feelings are at odds with each other, many would rather save for a LCD and separate CPU, maybe a PC, foregoing the buy iMac impulse. They absolutely SHOULD have a DVI input to drive the screen from another device (w/ a input 1/2 switch). I wanted this on the old design too, and if I could hooked up my Powerbook and use the iMac screen as a second screen I would have bought one. I would also feel better knowing that if the machine died or was utterly obsolete I could still get value out of the expensive screen on another computer. Until they do this simple thing, I will NEVER buy an all-one-design.

This would also drive switching sales because you could just keep your PC and replace your old CRT monitor with an iMac, it just happens to have a mac inside as a new and second computer.

Cybermonkey
2004-08-31, 14:22
I've been holding on to me cash in able to get one of these, and now it's released I'm thinking 'should i or shouldn't i?'

The design is nothing special in terms of 'wow' and with my experience of slot loading players, they don't last all that long with repeated use. Throw on top the measly 64MB Fx5200 and the only thing to tempt me is the G5.

The jury is still out for me, The only reason i'd buy this at the moment is if i sold all of my equipment and bought in a panic.

mongrelcat
2004-08-31, 14:22
Not terribly exciting but pretty good. The bottom looks funny, a little wide. I still say the Imac g4 is the best thing they've done, design wise. I would've been fine with them modifying their previous design. I'd be suprised if this sold better than the predecessor, although I'm sure it will sell well intially....it just doesn't have the "wow" factor, IMHO. Having said that I was sort of ambivalent about the new displays, and then I saw them in person and loved them. Hopefully the same thing will happen with the imac, but right now I'm not terribly excited.

Where there/are there going to be any other announcements at the expo....new software or something?

Chinney
2004-08-31, 14:30
By the way, my regards for the predictive ability all those – in the many and long threads here and in AI over the last year – who predicted the demise of the “Arm”. I, for one, was not one of those who made this prediction. Apple had made a big thing of the Arm and I really thought it was going to stay. I thought that there would be changes elsewhere, but not with the Arm.

futuretheory
2004-08-31, 14:33
How long ago do you suppose the above photo was taken? Weeks? Months? Yesterday morning? :p

People like to talk, and if I was the microphone/audio guy, set carpenter or caterer involved in the filming of some new iMac or PowerBook promo video or photo shoot like above...

Does everyone take a blood oath or something?

Anyone have some insight or stories on this?

Um... dude, photoshop.... you shoot an empty table with someone typing on a keyboard. Comp the Mac later in secret. Hell, do the comp on an iMac and tell the designer he can have it after the paris release but if any pictures show up online before then they don't get it AND lose their job. Or maybe Steve composited it in the hospital, he's probably getting bored. Maybe he does all the Apple graphic design with secret stuff. Maybe that's him in the picture and in disguise, typing on an empty table staring off into space and wearing a wig while Bill Gates is taking the picture with an iSight in one hand and a letter opener in the other ready to knife him in the pancreas....

Or maybe it is some kinda of blood oath enforced by aliens thing like you mentioned. What do I know? oh yeah, photoshop.

psmith2.0
2004-08-31, 14:40
You spend a lot of time on that response?

Um, dude...what about the video, specifically that Henrico County stuff from a few years back. Did they just give a bunch of kids white iBook-sized plastic boxes for placement, and rotoscope in some iBooks afterwards?

Try again...

SKMDC
2004-08-31, 14:47
That kind of attitude is why we have around 5% of the market.

ENOUGH with the market-share mantra!

AOL, GATEWAY, PAN-AM - market-share is not the be-all & end-all. And what's this we shit? I own stock and I don't say we.

Eugene
2004-08-31, 14:58
Pan-Am...lol. PSA! Eastern!

SKMDC
2004-08-31, 15:14
one more thing........Jay Leno? if you gotta have a name for it don't name after some pedestrian half-wit comedian, one step up from Jeff Foxworthy.
think of someone else with a big chin.....Quentin Tarantino or somebody.

Powerdoc
2004-08-31, 15:37
People here seem to be focussed entirely in the design, and by design , I mean like a sculpture.

The Imac 3 is the ultimate evolution of the mac. From the original all in one mac to this one, the evolution is great and representative of our time.
the computer is smaller than ever, dispite an huge screen (double the size for the 20 incher). Like the original one, it's white, quiet, and can be carried around easily. The Imac 3 is even better looking than the original mac, who was fugly (if you compare it with today design).

The Imac 1 and 2 where original and somewhat hippie design (very fun indeed). The I mac 3 has choose to be less cute, but more practical and efficient.

The internal design is a masterpiece of work, that Apple is only able to create, and the computer take a minimal place in your room. There is no plugs in the front face, but remember it's a lot easier to plug devices in the rear of a screen than a rear of a tower, especially if the tower is very close to a wall). The DVD slot is vertical, but there was not any other option with this kind of design.

In short The Imac 3 is the achievement of the mac concept. It's not a very cute computer (perhaps Apple will enhance it's design later), althought not ugly in real life, but a product of a great ergonomia and today performances, with a decent price, something rare with Apple.

psmith2.0
2004-08-31, 15:38
You're thinking about this way too much, monkeykarate. :err:

It was the first thing that popped in my head this morning, when I first saw it. I didn't intend for it to stick and actually get used by others.

Quentin sucks worse than Jay, so that would be a "no" on the Tarantino suggestion. Can't stand either one, but if I had to be locked in a room with either one, I think I could deal with Jay better...

SKMDC
2004-08-31, 15:56
You're thinking about this way too much, monkeykarate. :err:

It was the first thing that popped in my head this morning, when I first saw it. I didn't intend for it to stick and actually get used by others.

Quentin sucks worse than Jay, so that would be a "no" on the Tarantino suggestion. Can't stand either one, but if I had to be locked in a room with either one, I think I could deal with Jay better...

i'm not thinking about it too much, i just hate leno. although if you made the iPod black and had it sit off stage right and laugh hysterically at everything....well then it might work.

psmith2.0
2004-08-31, 16:06
The Kevin Eubanks signature model, huh? :p

:lol: :lol: x 500 ---> Eubanks

:err:

Goodness yes, Leno is horrible. Wish he and Letterman would both hang it up. Tired, tired, tired...

thegelding
2004-08-31, 16:31

;)

i agree...liked the specs and size and "foot"...didn't like the iMac design much till i saw the real world photos....now my buy finger is itching even more damn you all to hell

g

this is also why there was the rumors of both an apple pizza box and an apple tablet....

psmith2.0
2004-08-31, 16:41
Yeah, I was thinking about that earlier. This would seem like a tablet design, if you just caught a glimpse of a simple schematic or patent application.

In fact, if you could write on it like those Cintiq displays, you could set this in your lap. Might be a bit warm though.

And it's kinda a rectangular pizza box.

I just watched the keynote portion where they unveil it. I've read everything at apple.com there is to read about it. It's an impressive machine, I just hope it gets the attention and push it's gonna need.

No halfway-serious Mac person needs to be convinced or made aware of its presence. We've all spent an entire 12 hours (almost exactly, as I write this) cooing and debating over it.

It's that other 95%...

Don't piss this away, Apple. You might have a real winner on your hands here, handled properly. If this thing got anywhere close to iPod-level marketing/advertising, I could see it being THE holiday gift to end all gifts!

:|

If we don't see some mainstream and stir-creating commercials and so forth within 4-6 weeks, leading into the holidays (at respectable saturation levels), I'm going to blow a gasket and become convinced, once and for all, that Apple is totally happy with their niche status and apparently aren't looking to change that too much.

At that point, there could be no other reason.

alcimedes
2004-08-31, 16:46
actually, with a wireless keyboard/mouse setup, and the right mounting, this would make a pretty nice HD TV.

with some kind of software Tivo all of the sudden the computer/TV combo has some legs.

psmith2.0
2004-08-31, 16:51
That 20", perhaps mounted on the wall at eye level and paired with El Gato's EyeTV 200...that would be a pretty neat solution for a small room or someone looking to get maximum usage from his/her computer! Watch TV, record stuff, replay, archive, zap out commercials on the finished product, burn to DVD, etc.

I'd love to see some examples of this thing mounted on walls. All that seems to be at apple.com is a brief blurb about the VESA thing, but none of the pics show it on anything other than its included, standard base.

Unlike the Cinema displays, I can't see where this iMac mounts/connects to a separate third-party mounting device. Does anyone know how this is supposed to work?

Messiahtosh
2004-08-31, 16:52
Just because it has ports on the back doesnt mean it can not be wall mounted, it will just protrude from the wall slightly, to allow "breathing room" so that the ports are reacheable.

psmith2.0
2004-08-31, 16:58
I'm not talking about the ports. I realize the "gonna stick out from the wall a bit" thing. I didn't say I "doubted it could be done".

I'm talking about the actual physical connection. The back of it is totally smooth...I don't see any holes or mounting surfaces/guides. HOW is that done, is what I'm asking.

goldfish
2004-08-31, 17:15
I'm sure the answer is in here... (http://www.vesa.org/summary/sumfdmi.htm)

I would imagine that for the most part, users expected to mount their iMac to the wall constitute a different segment to users expected to plug stuff into their iMac (not least because in most cases, you'd have to a) find someway to mount whatever you've got plugged in and b) have wires dangling all over the shop - neither option likely to be appealing to Mr/Mrs/Dr Wall-Mounter).

Simon

Wrao
2004-08-31, 17:21
It's particularly interesting how they are juxtaposing it with the iPod. "From the makers of iPod"

That's a pretty smart move imo, it might mean that they intend to have a fairly aggressive ad campaign for iMac g5, Something combining the iPod and the iMac, let everyone know that the company that made that awesome mp3 player you love so much also makes kick ass computers.

all in all, I think it's a terrific update, If I wasn't required to have this powerbook for school, I'd sell it and get an iMac g5.

Another thing I really like about the iMac g5, it's ~2 inches thick, that shows that they are really working hard on cramming the g5 into a tight space, and that means, powerbook g5 :D

goldfish
2004-08-31, 17:23
I should've added that of course, the standard base must come off to show the VESA fit points... noone wants the big ally leg stuck on the wall too...

Simon

murbot
2004-08-31, 17:53
http://a248.e.akamai.net/7/248/2041/611/store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/m9755ga_125.jpg

iMac G5 VESA Mount Adapter Kit

Available for order in October.

Allows iMac G5 to be used with VESA compliant mounting solutions such as wall mounts and articulating arms.

The iMac G5 VESA Mount Adapter allows your iMac G5 computer to be used with a variety of alternate mounting solutions such as wall mounts and zero footprint articulating arms based on the VESA flat panel mounting interface (FPMI). The new iMac G5 family features a removable desktopfoot. iMac G5 VESA Mount Adapter Kit contains a tool that allows you to remove the system foot and to attach the VESA Mount Adapter to the computer. The iMac G5 is now ready to attach to any VESA compliant mounting solution that has a 100mm x 100 mm attachment.

The iMac G5 line with the VESA mount adapter attached complies with the VESA MIS-D, 100, C version of the specification.

Apple Store links time out... but if you go there and look under Apple Accessories, it's there.

You buy that, then go buy your garden variety VESA approved wall mount I guess. No idea where a good place to buy those is.

blissed
2004-08-31, 17:56
White is butt ugly. Where are the new laptops?

BarracksSi
2004-08-31, 17:57
b) have wires dangling all over the shop -

Here's an idea --

Mount the iMac on a wall-like surface (maybe even the back wall of a desk space), and route cabling through a hole near the mount itself. Run those cables to a plate near the user, in which you'd have mounted the relevant ports.

Or, go further, and route each cable to where you need it -- audio and a couple USB ports to the user's area, FireWire to the cubbyhole for the external HD, etc etc -- you get the idea.

Yes, these are custom jobs requiring a hefty outlay of cash, but they could make for a really clean setup from the user's seat.

psgamer0921
2004-08-31, 18:41
Is there any picture of the "New Products Demo" file?

Wickers
2004-08-31, 18:51
I don't have anything positive to add to this thread. . .

That said. . I find the new iMac to be ugly. . . so very, very ugly.

futuretheory
2004-08-31, 18:55
You spend a lot of time on that response?

Um, dude...what about the video, specifically that Henrico County stuff from a few years back. Did they just give a bunch of kids white iBook-sized plastic boxes for placement, and rotoscope in some iBooks afterwards?

Try again...

It was a joke. And no I didn't spend much time 'cause I'm so witty be nature. My posts are so fast you see them before I hit submit baby.

I actually agree, there are whole sectors of our society keeping mac secrets from us. Well, maybe not all of us, but definitely me and you pscates. Someday after an Apple regime change they'll dig up a mass grave in Cupertino containing the remains of the creative support folks you speak of. Blood oath indeed....

Messiahtosh
2004-08-31, 18:56
I really want one, jesus, video editing would be a dream on that top end configuration. I could sell my powerbook, buy a loaded top end iMac and still save money. I am so ready to give up portability to do it, I just don't know...

Damn, Apple has done something great if they are making a PowerBook user wish he were tied back to his desk!

2 things holding me back...

1. Loosing portability

2. 64 MB Graphics instead of my current 128 (but it's debatable how much difference it makes)

Things making me want to upgrade

1. 1 GB RAM instead of my current 512

2. 20'' LCD over my current 15''

3. 250 GB internal instead of 80

4. Speed

5. Cool-factor...amazing for the "prosumer" video work I do and more than capable for running Motion.

-----
Decisions, decisions! :confused:

kretara
2004-08-31, 19:06
When I got home I asked my wife to look at an image of the new iMac so I could get her opinion. She said it looks fine, all Apple stuff looks cool. Disclaimer: my wife does lite surfing and email only.

She went on to say that one of the nurses at her work is a Mac head and was talking about the new iMac all day and was going to place an order (at CompUSA :no: ) as soon as she got off work. Come to find out that this woman is also rather computer challanged like my wife.

I took an informal poll at work.
The people who knew something about computers (power users?) all hated the new iMac. All the computer challanged people loved it.
Maybe the new iMac will be a hit after all.

Paul
2004-08-31, 19:07
It just hit me that the iMacs are priced EXACTLY the same as the Cube (well not exactly, but damn close). Three years later and we get a G5 and a widescreen LCD to boot...

Chris, I'm thinking the same thing...

I'm fairly certain that I am going to eBay my TiBook and get at least one iMac, possibly two (one for my brother).

I'll blow a decent amount on the iMac and look to get a cheap 12" for portability later in the year (that is, after they get a G5.)

Messiahtosh
2004-08-31, 19:12
I think it is amazing what Apple is doing here, just like pscates said, about how the iPod is being tied in to the marketing of this....or at least how it should be.

The iMac is the perfect in-home computer now, for doing all of those digital hub things, and it is like a breath of fresh air after a person's day using their work PC.

That is what this is all about. Tons of families have parents that go to work, use a Dell, come home and play with the kids. They go to baseball games, dance recitals, concerts, etc. All the while they are filming, taking pictures, and then needing a place to manage and edit all of this to save it and create DVDs and such with all of the content.

If you are one of those active, "capture every moment" type of families, you want to be using an iMac at home and whatever at work, it doesnt really matter.

The iMac has become the easy digital content computer, and anyone who argues that it needs this or that is just absurd, it is perfect for what it is intended.

Maybe Apple does not offer a computer for certain markets, that may be true, but the iMac has cornered the market it is intended for...it is a triumph.

2004-08-31, 19:13
Not terribly exciting but pretty good. The bottom looks funny, a little wide. I still say the Imac g4 is the best thing they've done, design wise. I would've been fine with them modifying their previous design. I'd be suprised if this sold better than the predecessor, although I'm sure it will sell well intially....it just doesn't have the "wow" factor, IMHO.You know, after having a few hours and as many stouts to think about this, I've come to the conclusion that the iMac v3 will literally sell like hot cakes. Why? Well, for one the iMac v1 was a novelty, yet still bold and 'easy' enough that the masses glommed on to it. Especially when Apple made the dome casing translucent. "You mean I can see everything my computer is made of?!? Schweeet!

The iMac v2 was always kind of a WTF? for me. Yeah, I got the whole 'let the monitor float like a sunflower in the breeze' shite, but it never really 'took' to me. It was weird....cool, yes, but fucking weird. As much as my design sense and Apple Ego™ tried....I simply couldn't love the damn thing.

The iMac v3, imho, is not a step backwards, but a step back in the right direction. Consumers 'switching' over to a Mac do *not* want to walk out of the store nervously or have their neighbors come by their house and gawk at this 'thing'. It's a TOOL for most people, for chrizzakes.

I'm glad that this new little beast is more on the 'normal' side of Apple's design. We just might add a few less adventurous people to the fold. And of course, with the iPod being 'all that' nowadays, it's nice to have a machine available that won't freak people out. :p

BarracksSi
2004-08-31, 19:18
I took an informal poll at work.
The people who knew something about computers (power users?) all hated the new iMac. All the computer challanged people loved it.
Maybe the new iMac will be a hit after all.

How many power users live in our neighborhoods? Probably a lot less than we'd like to believe.

If I needed a PowerMac for work, I could certainly get my company to pay for it. ;)

psmith2.0
2004-08-31, 19:24
I think it is amazing what Apple is doing here, just like pscates said, about how the iPod is being tied in to the marketing of this....or at least how it should be.

The iMac is the perfect in-home computer now, for doing all of those digital hub things, and it is like a breath of fresh air after a person's day using their work PC.

That is what this is all about. Tons of families have parents that go to work, use a Dell, come home and play with the kids. They go to baseball games, dance recitals, concerts, etc. All the while they are filming, taking pictures, and then needing a place to manage and edit all of this to save it and create DVDs and such with all of the content.

If you are one of those active, "capture every moment" type of families, you want to be using an iMac at home and whatever at work, it doesnt really matter.

The iMac has become the easy digital content computer, and anyone who argues that it needs this or that is just absurd, it is perfect for what it is intended.

Maybe Apple does not offer a computer for certain markets, that may be true, but the iMac has cornered the market it is intended for...it is a triumph.

Chris, that is about the most normal, lucid and well-stated thing I've ever seen you post. Dear Lord, there IS hope! :p

Do more of THAT and less of the other stuff and you'll be just fine. ;)

futuretheory
2004-08-31, 19:31
...it is a triumph.

It...is a box.

But yeah, I think it's good call. The iPod tie-in is smart, give it 3 months then give me colored aluminum. And I'll say it again...I want to use the screen with my PC or powerbook... :cool:

psmith2.0
2004-08-31, 19:35
Hey, know what just hit me...on many of these large event unveilings, don't they usually show a commercial or two they've made for it. They used to do it quite a bit, several years ago. But I didn't notice them previewing any sort of ad for the iMac.

ast3r3x
2004-08-31, 20:24
Nothing personal, and I'm glad to see your such an enthusiast, but is there anyone more all up on apple's cock then messiahtosh? Maybe that is a good thing.

psmith2.0
2004-08-31, 20:26

Well I've never heard it put quite that way. :eek:

2004-08-31, 20:32
Nothing personal, and I'm glad to see your such an enthusiast, but is there anyone more all up on apple's cock then messiahtosh? Maybe that is a good thing....and my 4th stout launches quickly from mouth to screen.... :mad: :grumble: :mad:

windowsblowsass
2004-08-31, 20:45
i'm not thinking about it too much, i just hate leno. although if you made the iPod black and had it sit off stage right and laugh hysterically at everything....well then it might work.
http://www.freewebs.com/imagsandcrap/eubanksimac.jpg
ask and you shall recieve

applenut
2004-08-31, 20:49
I'll add more comments later but a few observations

1. the bottom is much too large to make the front of the computer seem cute/elegant/cool. it kind of just looks "odd" and it makes the screen secondary to the 4:3 white box and makes the screen look smaller. I realize that it is difficult to reduce size of the motherboard but I'm surprised this was a design that was approved. For the most part it is very very cool, but the front needs more detail, something in that bottom third of the face. I think it being all solid white hurts the appearance in that aspect.

2. this machine definitely looks made for colors. If a blue one were available I think I'd be all over it. Two tone color. Match the iPod mini colors. White just does not appeal to many people. Original iMacs had color options and that was one of the biggest selling points. I think it's a shame that Apple doesn't offer different colors anymore.

3. When paying for a desktop and designing one, desktop parts should be used. the 4X vertical superdrive is a shame. and it shows that this design will be limiting in the future in several ways. Form over function.

4. the graphics card is perfect for the 1299 model, and possibly the 1499 model. The 20 inch model should at least have a jump to 128MB of VRAM with its higher resolution and steeper price. Also, Apple really could resolve a lot of complaints by simply offering a BTO graphics card option. I don't see why they don't do this. One, it'd satisfy a lot of complainers. 2. It would make people order direct from Apple. Three. They would probably make good money off of it.

I'm impressed to say the least. But a couple things are holding it back from being a knock out. They are closer than ever though.

Chinney
2004-08-31, 21:14
An idle thought: Just now I had a notion that the new iMac could function as a ‘desktop to go’. I would love to travel with my own Mac, rather than the lousy PC laptops that our office stocks for business travel. However, I have never been a big laptop user and I don’t really need a laptop in the sense of using a computer while in transit, while in meetings, or while sitting in Starbucks. What I need is something I can take with me and set up when I get to the hotel room (or when I go up to the cottage for the weekend). My idle thought was that with a clever, custom-designed aftermarket computer bag, you could stick in the new iMac, put in a keyboard and a mouse in a pouch (ideally, Bluetooth) and zip – off you go.

And then I check out the weight: 18.5 pounds for the 17-inch. Not bad – don’t get me wrong- – but not exactly within the ‘easy to lug around’ range. I suppose if it is just another piece of luggage, 18 pounds is not too bad, but I usually travel pretty light. Hmm. I’ll have to consider it.

Miko
2004-08-31, 21:38
I dont know if anyone mentioned this yet, but how can the wall mounting option be a selling point? I mean how will that affect the I/O inputs on the back of the computer. It will def. make it harder to access. I agree with the giganto iMac type on the back seems a bit like overkill to me.

No doubt the new iMac is impressive from the technology stand point. but I miss the swivel left/right motion of the old iMac, and it was unique to say the least. This just looks like Apple raided the parts bin from the Xserves and new cinema displays.

One plus though, with the release of the new iMac, the G5 PowerBooks are getting closer and closer 2" not bad but 1" will be the day!

MacUsers
2004-08-31, 21:41
Ya, I was thinking of that myself. Semi-portable. It's a lot easier to take this iMac to a user group meeting or somewhere else I need a computer for a while over my G5 tower with a separate display and stuff.

alcimedes
2004-08-31, 21:51
are you kidding? the wall mounting combined with no front access to ports/cd drive makes this a very secure machine for kiosks and the like.

psmith2.0
2004-08-31, 21:54
Yeah, they kinda reversed things on this one, logo and name-wise, didn't they? Before (including the jellybeans), the name "iMac" was actually on the front, near the display. On the back was an Apple logo.

This time around, there's an Apple logo on front and, for some weird reason that 15 hours later I STILL can't fathom, is that HUGE "iMac" badge in 2" tall letters.

Like, what the hell ELSE would it be? Not a Dell or HP!

The more I look and read on this little thing, the more I think I dig it. Just took me an entire day to come around some. Some things still bug me, no doubt, but I don't feel anywhere near the disdain I felt for it at 6am.

I figure by this time Saturday, I will be completely in love with it, at the rate I'm going. Okay, maybe that's a bit optimistic...

If Apple made the kind of tablet thing I talked about in that other Speculation thread two days ago (the one that had torifile practically pulling out his credit card, based solely on my "what if" description of it... :D ), then I'd consider this iMac G5.

I don't want two full-tilt computers. I just don't. But if I could have the 20" iMac G5 AND a cool little 8-10" Apple tablet/Newton 2004 type of device for e-mail, surfing, iChat, syncing, PDF/JPG viewing, contacts, photo viewing, writing (Inkwell), music playing, etc., I'd go that route with no problem.

I just don't want a full-blown desktop AND a PowerBook because one will get massively neglected and I'd feel bad and like I'm wasting money. But a full-blown desktop like an iMac G5 WITH a neat device situated somewhere between an iPod and a 12" iBook...I wouldn't mind that. It would be cool to sit on the couch or porch with something about the size of the 12" iBook screen and just check mail, surf, scribble or doodle on screen, etc. and have it be AirPort enabled and FireWire dockable and a 20-40GB hard drive and color screen.

An iPod on steroids, or neutered iBook...whichever way you want to look at it.

I HATE being without e-mail and Internet access, which is why I don't see myself giving up laptops...I move around too much, travel on weekends, house-sit for buddies, visit friends and family out of town, etc. way too much to NOT have my Mac with me at all times. I'd go crazy. But I'd compromise if a neat Apple device let me at least stay in touch via e-mail and Internet, and have my music and photos with me too, even if it wasn't a full-tilt proper computer, with full processing horsepower. Wouldn't need to be, for what I imagine doing with it.

scratt
2004-08-31, 21:58
a cool little 8-10" Apple tablet/Newton 2004 type of device for e-mail, surfing, iChat, syncing, PDF/JPG viewing, contacts, photo viewing, writing (Inkwell), music playing, etc.,

Oooooo Pleeezee Pleeezzz Oooo Oooo Pleezzz! :lol:

Doughboy
2004-08-31, 21:59
Is the thickness of the bottom portion a necessary design constraint? It seems Apple needed the extra space to accommodate the power supply.

Miko
2004-08-31, 22:00
are you kidding? the wall mounting combined with no front access to ports/cd drive makes this a very secure machine for kiosks and the like.

No I'm not kidding, the iMac is a consumer product always was and always will be. you want a nice display for your kiosks get one of the cinema displays. and what front access for ports are you referring to?

psmith2.0
2004-08-31, 22:01
Yeah, that seems to be where the power is, and the RAM section juts down there too. That is a nice clean look, with the back removed. Knowing what we know about the G5 in the towers - regarding the nine fans and separate "thermal zones" and all - it is pretty damn impressive they got all that into that pizza box sized area! :eek:

alcimedes
2004-08-31, 22:04
No I'm not kidding, the iMac is a consumer product always was and always will be. you want a nice display for your kiosks get one of the cinema displays. and what front access for ports are you referring to?

um, i said there were NO ports in the front of the iMac, which in this case would be a good thing. it would be easy to have an enclosure that would deny the user access to the CD drive as well. now you have a tiny little machine that's perfect for a kiosk.

Doughboy
2004-08-31, 22:08
Pscates, I liked your idea of a Post-It Hub. And when a previous poster mentioned creating an ant farm, I thought of some third party creating an Etch-A-Sketch add-on, complete with horizontal and vertical dials. I guess you could shake the display to start over. :)

Miko
2004-08-31, 22:12
um, i said there were NO ports in the front of the iMac, which in this case would be a good thing. it would be easy to have an enclosure that would deny the user access to the CD drive as well. now you have a tiny little machine that's perfect for a kiosk.

My point was that the wall mounting option is not a big selling point for the iMac's target market, and will make it difficult to access the ports on the rear of the computer. I don't think most companies give access to the computers running the A/V for their kiosk.

Messiahtosh
2004-08-31, 22:22
Well, the PowerBook has been eBayed! As soon as it sells, and it will, I'll place my order for a Mid range iMac.

Is someone gonna talk me into the 20''? :cool:

torifile
2004-08-31, 22:24
If Apple made the kind of tablet thing I talked about in that other Speculation thread two days ago (the one that had torifile practically pulling out his credit card, based solely on my "what if" description of it... :D ), then I'd consider this iMac G5.

You mean I've got to put it away?

:grumble: :grumble:

I still want one. :mad: ;)

Messiahtosh
2004-08-31, 22:42
Apple Wireless Keyboard
Same bus.day
$62.00

iMac 1.8GHz w/17" TFT
3-4 weeks
$2,096.00

1GB DDR400 SDRAM - 1 DIMM

Accessory kit
Power Supply
Keyboard and Mouse + Mac OS X - U.S. English
Bluetooth Module
250GB Serial ATA drive
SuperDrive (DVD-R/CD-RW)

Total $2,158

tax makes a grand total of $2,287

xionja
2004-08-31, 22:43
It looks retarded.

Like this car
http://www.familycar.com/RoadTests/BuickRendezvous/Images/Rear.jpg

BarracksSi
2004-08-31, 22:53
BRB, I'm refining my order.

LOL -- you edited your post before I could respond with, "You could save some more cash by buying the RAM from Crucial."

;)

LudwigVan
2004-08-31, 23:09
I don't think this link's been posted to this thread yet:

More pics of the G5 iMac "in the wild" (http://www.macobserver.com/gallery/Booth-MacG5) (from the Expo).

Messiahtosh
2004-08-31, 23:11
LOL -- you edited your post before I could respond with, "You could save some more cash by buying the RAM from Crucial."

;)What do you think now?

alcimedes
2004-08-31, 23:32
What do you think now?

So (http://forums.applenova.com/showthread.php?p=25535&highlight=aluminum#post25535) what happened (http://forums.applenova.com/showthread.php?p=24613&highlight=aluminum#post24613) to the inside scoop? (http://forums.applenova.com/showthread.php?t=971&highlight=aluminum)

;)

Paul
2004-08-31, 23:37
Chris, any reason you are getting two keyboards?
you know you can get the "bluetooth keyboard and mouse" option for just $89 edu...

Messiahtosh
2004-09-01, 00:05
Chris, any reason you are getting two keyboards?
you know you can get the "bluetooth keyboard and mouse" option for just $89 edu...Yes, but I already have a BT mouse. My question is this: do I need to get the bluetooth module if I get that $89 option that says BT module+keyboard+mouse?

I dont want 2 BT modules, obviously.

Thanks Paul

ast3r3x
2004-09-01, 00:19
I don't care much about the vertical super drive. I do have to say, I thought I've read that having a hard drive anything other then flat or completely vertical, was bad for it. Is anyone having their display at 90 degrees?

I've always hoped that wasn't really true, because my laptop is constantly at a tilt.

Nice thing about the iMac, is it looks like the HD will be upgradable. I mean, it's right there, you should be able to anyways.

As for looks...I think it's decent looking in real life, but ugly as sin in apple's PR pictures. I figured I'd wait to give my opinion until you all calmed down about it;) Remember it was the same thing with the last iMac? Everyone said it was bad until they actually saw it or used it.

murbot
2004-09-01, 00:29
So (http://forums.applenova.com/showthread.php?p=25535&highlight=aluminum#post25535) what happened (http://forums.applenova.com/showthread.php?p=24613&highlight=aluminum#post24613) to the inside scoop? (http://forums.applenova.com/showthread.php?t=971&highlight=aluminum)

;)

If he keeps Meadering stuff out of his ass, we'll have Goatse #2 on our hands.

Good work.

Robo
2004-09-01, 02:19
I hated it.

Earlier today, I edited Apple's PR pic to read "Where did the STYLE go?"

But then, like so many others...once I actually saw it on a real desk...I didn't mind it.

It's not "cute" like the iMac G3 was, or "groovy" like the iMac G4 was. In fact, I'm still trying to think of an adjective for it.

It still has the iMac charm, though. At first, I thought it was a huge mistake - it didn't seem like an iMac anymore. But it still has its soul.

It's like the iMac G3 was the child - colorful and cute...with it's limitations, but that just made it more adorable. The iMac G4 was the teenager - it was very stylish and went out of its way to be different. The iMac G5 is the adult - simple, proper, in many ways businesslike...but still with the playful heart it's never lost, and hopefully never will.

I love it.

ast3r3x
2004-09-01, 02:26
It's not "cute" like the iMac G3 was, or "groovy" like the iMac G4 was. In fact, I'm still trying to think of an adjective for it.

If you describe the iMac G4 as "groovy" then I don't want to hear your adjective for the iMac G5 ;)

Now do I offer a better adjective? Nope, of course not :D

Robo
2004-09-01, 02:43
What's wrong with "groovy?" That's what makes the iMac so amazing - it looks like something retro and futuristic at the same time (hence, "retro-futurism." :D) Like maybe something people a while back thought the computers of a hundred years from then would look like - what they did in between imagining space houses and bubble cars. Personally, I still dig the iMac G4 more - I'm going to go on a hunt to find one on sale, now that the new ones have hit - I hope I can. But the new iMac still looks approximately 8,000% better than it did this morning - and if I were to give it an adjective, it'd probably be "minimilistic" (pity it's not as catchy as "groovy" but perhaps at least ast3r3x would approve :D).

After my last post's nigh-poeticism, though, I think I'll actually give the iMac a breakdown. First up - the price. It's great. I can see the headlines now - "CUSTOMERS STOP BUYING 20" CINEMA DISPLAYS WHEN THEY FIGURE OUT THEY CAN GET THE COMPUTER FOR $600 MORE." Looking at in another way, one could lose three inches on the display and get the computer for free.

I think I've just found my pet peeve (read: tiny design oversite that bugs me that I wouldn't have even noticed if I hadn't poured over the specs) with it, though. The resolution of the 20" model? 1,050 lines. HDTV? 1,080. ARGH! Seriously, the iMac would make a PERFECT TV/PC type of thing. Give it EyeTV or something, mount it on the wall - like I said, perfect. If only it had 30 more lines of resolution...I know, I know, that won't be enough to really notice or anything (on HDTV) but like I said, I know it's there, now, and it bugs me. Otherwise, though, the iMac G5 is awesome.

DMBand0026
2004-09-01, 02:43
It's like the iMac G3 was the child - colorful and cute...with it's limitations, but that just made it more adorable. The iMac G4 was the teenager - it was very stylish and went out of its way to be different. The iMac G5 is the adult - simple, proper, in many ways businesslike...but still with the playful heart it's never lost, and hopefully never will.

I love it.

This is a great way to put it :)

I totally agree.

I love it too :)

Would I give up my PowerBook for it? Not on your life ;)

Messiah, you're friggin crazy dude

Robo
2004-09-01, 02:50
I could see myself getting a 20" iMac for PC and TV use, and a 12" Powerbook for the road. But then I'd wake up. More likely, I'd find a 15" iMac G4 in a corner of a Fry's somewhere with a dusty box, and then offer to pay them every penny I have for it. But you know what? I'd still be just as happy. :)

VTINET
2004-09-01, 03:59
always the same problem with Apple : wonderful products at introduction, so-so evolution during the next years. I hope we will see nice deals for christmas (Wireless your iMac for nothing with free wireless keyboard and mice and super bundle with Airport Express as an exemple) and a renewed version early next year.

And it needs a top notch ad campaign in the US and EU.

Then this machine will sell super greeeeat

Powerdoc
2004-09-01, 04:47
The Imac G5 represent the final (?) evolution of the mac 128 all in one concept (maximum stuff in minimal place). The prices are competitive and I only regret that Apple did not use a better video section.

The internal design is awesome, and Apple again succeed the tour de force of making a powerful but quiet computer. I am sick of my noisy G5 533, and I ordered the 20 inch Imac G5 with the wireless keyboard and mouse. I predict a great commercial sucess of this new Imac.

Gizzer
2004-09-01, 06:31
I've finally sussed why the 2 inch high iMac logo.

It's all to do with the iPod link and the more I think about it, the more astute the move.

Apple are obviously now plugging the iMac by association to the iPod. Seeing that huge logo on the back rather than the traditional Apple logo forces you to instantly associate it's name to the product. Previously non-Apple types would have seen the logo and thought it's an Apple computer. Now they'll know it by name and it will become synonymous with the device itself. After all, Jonny-No-Brains doesn't go out to buy an MP3 Player, he goes out to buy an iPod (much like 15 years ago people wanted Walkmans, no matter who "made" the Walkman!).

This move means people won't want an Apple, they'll want an iMac. Imagine all the trendy TV shows where you've seen the Apple logo - now you'll see "iMac". And people will -hopefully- want one.

I think it's a quiet work of marketing genious and the best product placement you could ask for.

Now.... :o

As an aside, :o :o

24 hours on, my Rant Gland has reduced to normal size, and I'm SLOWLY (& I mean slowly) beginning to warm to it. But as people have noted, not from Apples suck-y PR photos, it's the "Real Life" intro video on the iMac product page that really lets you get a feel for it. Although Jonathan Ives nearly put me off with his arty-design speech ;) - I hate that "True to itself" crap!

Escher
2004-09-01, 08:15
Jonathan Ives nearly put me off with his arty-design speech ;) - I hate that "True to itself" crap!

Hey, at least the Black Eyed Peas got a cute new blonde front-chick for people to look at. And now, Apple is riding their wave of popularity. Let's hope the iMac G5 manages to reach the mainstream like the Black Eyed Peas and their new female front have!

Escher

Messiahtosh
2004-09-01, 08:28
My purchase will go in sometime tonight. I'm looking forward to owning a pimped out iMac, complete with a bunch of added software and that G5. My PowerBook is nice, but it isnt so powerful for the video work I do.

My only gripe is moving down from 128 MB of VRAM to 64, but the G5 system architecture should more than make up for the difference, making it impossible to notice. For video editing, that shouldnt matter too much, and I do not play games often...starcraft, warcraft, and maybe something else.

I'm going to finally be happy, seriously. ;)

Chinney
2004-09-01, 09:00
Thinking about it more, my view this morning is that the G5 iMac is a return to the concept of the original iMac: a computer (including speakers) hidden inside a monitor. That’s the impression the original G3 iMac created (remember how bulky most CRT monitors were/are), and that’s the way they are selling the G5...but this time inside a flat monitor.

The G4 iMac was actually a bit of departure from the original iMac concept. It was various pieces, connected together, more or less elegantly (depending on personal taste). Many people around here suggested that Apple should have taken this further: create a headless iMac - or my own suggestion of a modular iMac. Apple, however, went back to the original concept of a true AIO desktop.

I was uncertain at first. However, as I posted over in Zo’s thread, I am really warming to it now.

psmith2.0
2004-09-01, 09:22
Messiah, what are you going to do when the G5 PowerBook comes out next week?

:lol: :p

Nah, that's cool. Get what you're happy with and matters the most. That's my motto. PowerBook, iMac G5, whatever. It's still a Mac. You could always get a refurb 800MHz 12" iBook G4 for e-mail/surfing/contact/music/travel, if portability was ever a factor.

In fact, I...never mind. I'm not going to say it. NEVER...I will not... :D I will not be swayed by the iMac G5...cursed beast, thou hast sunk thy talons into my heart...I...must...resist...

Those damned Expo photos, showing it in all its glossy glory, making it nowhere near as ugly as it looks on Apple's site...digital camera-owning bastards.

spiff
2004-09-01, 09:35
I haven't gotten a chance to read through this entire thread so I'm not sure if someone has made this point yet. But, to everyone who doesn't like the look, I'd bet good money, 3 months down the road you'll love it. It's always like that with Apple products. I originally thought the last iMac was completely ridiculous looking, with it's stupid arm, but now I own one and I like it. Go figure.

I guess it's a matter of personal opinion. Apple was gong for a very particular look here. It might not be eye catching to begin with, but I bet once you sit down in front of it and start using it, it's a whole other experience. I don't think pictures will do it justice. They wanted the computer to melt away so you were just looking at the screen. It's a simplistic design, sure, but that's what's needed. I'm not going to judge until I sit down in front of one at the Apple store. My initial impressions were good though.

I actually think this is the best looking iMac yet, Jay Leno look and all.

Messiahtosh
2004-09-01, 09:37
Paul is being overcome by the glory! :p

Anyway, the poster above pscates said it best. Apple has gone back to the origins of the iMac, and as the posters say, "New body, new brain, same soul."

It is the same soul as the original, and it ties together the separate pieces of iMac 2.

Chinney
2004-09-01, 09:38
Messiah, what are you going to do when the G5 PowerBook comes out next week?

:lol: :p

Nah, that's cool. Get what you're happy with and matters the most. That's my motto. PowerBook, iMac G5, whatever. It's still a Mac. You could always get a refurb 800MHz 12" iBook G4 for e-mail/surfing/contact/music/travel, if portability was ever a factor.

In fact, I...never mind. I'm not going to say it. NEVER...I will not... :D I will not be swayed by the iMac G5...cursed beast, thou hast sunk thy talons into my heart...I...must...resist...

Those damned Expo photos, showing it in all its glossy glory, making it nowhere near as ugly as it looks on Apple's site...digital camera-owning bastards.

It’s fun to watch pscates being slowly sucked into the vortex. ;)

BTW, is there any word on the quality of the sound from those (small) built-in speakers? That could affect my feelings about the new design.

Messiahtosh
2004-09-01, 09:47
It’s fun to watch pscates being slowly sucked into the vortex. ;)

BTW, is there any word on the quality of the sound from those (small) built-in speakers? That could affect my feelings about the new design.I thought about that too, but I think it will be ok if the iMac is on a desk. However, if it is wall-mounted, the speakers will not have anything to "reflect the sound off of" to reflect towards the user. :confused:

That's the only flaw I see with the physical design.

SKMDC
2004-09-01, 09:50
I thought about that too, but I think it will be ok if the iMac is on a desk. However, if it is wall-mounted, the speakers will not have anything to "reflect the sound off of" to reflect towards the user. :confused:

That's the only flaw I see with the physical design.

that wouldn't be the designers fault.

psmith2.0
2004-09-01, 09:50
I COULD plug my JBL Creature II speakers into this iMac G5 and they'd work just fine, right? If those built-in speakers weren't all that? Hypothetically? In theory? A friend wanted to know... :p

Messiahtosh
2004-09-01, 09:52
I COULD plug my JBL Creature II speakers into this iMac G5 and they'd work just fine, right? If those built-in speakers weren't all that? Hypothetically? In theory? A friend wanted to know... :p :D

Satchmo
2004-09-01, 09:56
It’s fun to watch pscates being slowly sucked into the vortex.

Steve's RDF is so powerful he doesn't even have to be on stage for it to work! :lol:

psmith2.0
2004-09-01, 10:07
:D It's true. I'm pathetic and weak. :p

Me, yesterday: "It's quite ugly and uninspired...I'm glad I don't do desktops anymore. I'm not impressed..."

Me, today: "You know, I always dug the glossy white look..."

Nah. It's fun to think about, but I need to just be good and continue saving and being smart with my money (because if I got this iMac G5, I'd HAVE to get a cheap, refurb 12" iBook G4 to use for Mail, Safari, iChat, etc. because I travel and bounce around so much these days...I can't NOT go without that "connection to the world"...drives me crazy). :(

And that just opens up the whole "owning two computers" thing, which I just don't like.

If I found a first-gen 800MHz 12" iBook G4 in a dumpster or something, then maybe I'd consider it seriously... :)

It's neat to think about, all that power on my desk. But the expense and complication it entails puts me off.

MCQ
2004-09-01, 10:08
Paul, just get your credit card out now. You know you're going to get one :D

[Edit] Then you go and rationalize why you probably won't get it right before I post. Bah! :lol:

trailmaster308
2004-09-01, 10:13
Whomever gets the new iMac first, please give a review on the sound from the built in speakers. Currently I push my iMac G4 round speakers to the max while getting ready in the morning.

Also, can you plug in the little round speakers from the iMac G4 to the iMac G5 or do the speakers have to have the generic plug-in?

Messiahtosh
2004-09-01, 10:17
This sucks, my eBay auction ends tonight, my iMac is waiting to be bought, as soon as the money gets to me from the auction.

I'll end up saving $400, losing portability but gaining mad specs and pure beauty and usefulness in a computer.

trailmaster308
2004-09-01, 10:17
If I found a first-gen 800MHz 12" iBook G4 in a dumpster or something, then maybe I'd consider it seriously... :)

It's neat to think about, all that power on my desk. But the expense and complication it entails puts me off.

I'll sell you my 12 inch PB 1Ghz with 768 ram for dirt cheap! :D

Chinney
2004-09-01, 10:23
Maybe we should pose the speaker question to Zo and quicksilver, back in the other thread. They are/were there on the floor at Expo.

psmith2.0
2004-09-01, 10:23
Define "dirt cheap"... :err:

On second thought, don't. I don't wanna know! Shhhh! Lalalala... :D

Messiahtosh
2004-09-01, 10:28

On second thought, don't. I don't wanna know! Shhhh! Lalalala... :DYou can find my PowerBook on eBay for $2550.

That's 300 off of the retail price. ;)

trailmaster308
2004-09-01, 10:30

On second thought, don't. I don't wanna know! Shhhh! Lalalala... :D

LOL okay. But just so you know I have been known to sell my macs for crazy prices before when something new comes out just so I can get rid of it fast. Do u remember when I sold my 7 month old iBook to torifile for like 500 bucks along with a 1st gen iPod? :lol:

Luca
2004-09-01, 10:44
Wow Messiahtosh, so wait, you're moving from a 1.5 GHz G4 w/ Radeon 9700 to a 1.8 GHz G5 w/ GeForce FX5200? Smart move. Well, at least you'll get a bigger monitor and a faster hard drive. I don't think it's worth it though - I doubt the iMac will be tremendously faster.

Mr Beardsley
2004-09-01, 10:54
Wow Messiahtosh, so wait, you're moving from a 1.5 GHz G4 w/ Radeon 9700 to a 1.8 GHz G5 w/ GeForce FX5200? Smart move. Well, at least you'll get a bigger monitor and a faster hard drive. I don't think it's worth it though - I doubt the iMac will be tremendously faster.

Well maybe not everyone wants to play a lot of games, which makes the vid card fine. He says he wants to do video editing, which makes the hard drive a big deal. The hard drive in the iMac is much better than that of PowerBook. I bet you he does see a big speed up. A much faster hard drive, and a much better buss design should give quite a boost.

psmith2.0
2004-09-01, 10:57
Well, at least you'll get a bigger monitor and a faster hard drive.

Sometimes that's enough? Depending on what you're doing and all? He said he's not a gamer, but does video stuff. I think it's a sensible trade-off, for the things he specifically mentioned doing with it.

I'd be more inclined to miss the "go anywhere with my Mac" aspect of giving up the PowerBook, but that doesn't sound like that's an issue in this case. He wants to do digital video stuff, so I'm betting the G5 (and all it entails) and the 7200rpm drive makes more of an impact in this than the graphics card.

Escher
2004-09-01, 11:31
if I got this iMac G5, I'd HAVE to get a cheap, refurb 12" iBook G4 to use for Mail, Safari, iChat, etc. because I travel and bounce around so much these days...I can't NOT go without that "connection to the world"...drives me crazy). :(

Just drop this idea, pscates, right now! ;)

Would you really want to deal with synchronizing your files between a desktop iMac G5 and a cheapo iBook G4? Now that I have my 12-inch PB with external 17" LCD setup, I wouldn't even consider dealing with two systems. I can put my PB to sleep, unplug it from the LCD, walk to the yard, and pick up right where I left off. As we've said before, it's the best of both worlds.

Escher

psmith2.0
2004-09-01, 12:50
Oh I know. That's why I said what I said. I don't want to have to go that route.

I am, however, getting to where I'm not particularly nuts about the 15" PowerBook. It's a GREAT machine, don't get me wrong. But it fills that "middle ground" almost too well; it's funny...as much as I've praised the 15" for being "just right" in size/weight, something's come into play that I've only recently started to be bothered by: at home, doing "real work", the screen - while beating the hell out of 1024x768 - is still kinda dinky. Even in physical size. I'm pulling the iCurve close to me and still wishing for more pallette/work room. And when I go places (as I mention, I go A LOT these days, particularly weekends!), the 15" just seems a bit big.

So yeah, it's a perfect middle ground machine. In some ways good, some not so good.

But since these new DVI Cinema Displays coming on the scene, I've recently become quite interested in getting a 12" PowerBook and a 20" or 23" Cinema Display. THAT, I feel, would truly be a "best of both worlds" situation. Ultimate in portability (small size/weight) and ultimate in screen space while at home, while I'm doing real work. Because when I'm out, traveling or on the go, I rarely do serious, hardcore work. I might do some touch-ups or revisions or doodle for fun, but that's it. Basically, I'm using Mail, Safari and iChat...all things that a 12" 1024x768 screen is perfectly fine for.

That's why I was talking of the 20" iMac G5 (a G5 and 20" display for serious work while home) and a cheap, refurb 12" iBook G4. But then I wonder if, like Escher says, the 12" PowerBook and an external 20" or 23" Display isn't a more sensible route for my particular needs/lifestyle. No syncing and so forth. And I don't think I'd benefit by a G5 particularly. Not doing video and whatnot.

FWIW, on the 12" G4 iBook, I hadn't planned on loading my personal or work files OR the Adobe CS collection. I was just considering a lean, clean, Apple-only system for e-mail, surfing, chatting, iTunes, Address Book, Sherlock, etc. If that were the case, probably not much syncing coming into play...nothing there to sync, really. No "real work" in the form of Photoshop or InDesign files. Maybe an occasional bookmark or Address Book entry...

I wish I didn't travel and like to go so much. This would be really easy. I'd get a 20" iMac G5 and be done with it. I only got the PowerBook because that was how my life was heading, and I hated being away from my Mac...for work OR play. :(

These damn keynotes and new products. When they just made their crap orange, it made it SO easy for me. Devious, manipulative bastards. I can't take this...I'm buying a Dell...

In all actuality, I'll have the 15" for a good while. I really do like its performance and features (and the attention it gets when I pull it out...uh, wait...), and maybe if I just added an external display for home use (and bought a more comfortable, padded carrying bag for travel), that would be the solution.

It's Apple's fault for making such cool, enticing stuff. Idiots.

Messiahtosh
2004-09-01, 14:06
You're right Paul, I told myself I wasnt going to get a new iMac, no matter what. Turns out I was wrong and I'm giving up a fully loaded 1.5 GHz PowerBook to get this new beast.

I dont play many games, but I do own a camcorder and a digital camera. While the PowerBook is more than acceptable for handling both, I was just thinking that this IS my LAST purchase before the end of my college years, I might as well go with a G5, right?

I'll be "stuck" with a 64 MB G-card for 3-4 years, but the pros outway that, being the only con, in my opinion...other than losing mobility.

For doing Motion and more video work than ever, the new iMac has got to be the best option for me. It's an affordable G5, I'll put a GB of RAM in one slot, leaving the other free for later on. No airport for now, but the option remains.

All in all, I'll have the following that will outdo my PowerBook
-------

Hard Drive Size (160 GB instead of 80)

Hard Drive Speed (7200 RPM instead of 5400 RPMs)

Processor (1.8 G5 instead of a 1.5 G4)

Screen Size (17'' vs 15'')

Bus Speed (600 Mhz vs 167 Mhz)

1 GB of RAM in 1 DIM instead of 512 in 1 DIM

We have a winner, and it's name is cool, I mean iMac.

murbot
2004-09-01, 14:11
How are you going to have a 1GB DIMM in the iMac with the other slot empty? Don't tell me you're buying it from Apple, man. That's just plain stupid.

If you're ponying up for the GB chip, keep the stock 256MB in the iMac and add the 1GB for a total of 1.25GB.

Apple wants $525 US to upgrade that 256 chip to a 1GB!! Even without shopping around at all, and just hitting Crucial's site, you can get that chip for $250 US.