PDA

View Full Version : Laptop or Desktop?

MagSafe
2006-05-15, 05:42
Hey :)

I was planning on getting a new laptop after the summer sometime and was thinking of the 17" MacBook Pro, however for some reason I have started to think about getting an iMac instead.

I have been using laptops as my main computer setup for a while now, but after thinking about, and also looking at the price and spec comparision between laptops and desktops ... It might be worth selling my 12" iBook and buying a 20" iMac to use as my main machine.

There seems to be advantages of both really, so I was wondering what you all prefered?

MrENGLISH™
2006-05-15, 05:53
The 17" MBP screen has the same resolution as the 20" iMac.

The 17" MBP has a faster Core Duo than the 20" iMac

The 17" MBP has FW 800 and PCI-Express Card slot whereas the 20" iMac does not.

I would go for the 17" MBP. If these where still the G4/G5 days I would have said the iMac.

Doxxic
2006-05-15, 06:15
Got both, I use the power of the iMac music and the iMac by itself as a backup machine for everything, but our 2.5 year old powerbook is being used more intensively, by the whole family.

FFL
2006-05-15, 10:28
You get more bang for the buck with a desktop machine.

Ideally, you want a midrange desktop (such as an iMac) and a low end laptop (unless of course most of your computing time is spent on the road).

With a desktop machine as your primary, you don't need to upgrade your laptop nearly as often, since you'll only be using it when you're not at home.

Keep the iBook for portable and secondary usage, and get an iMac.

MagSafe
2006-05-15, 10:52
The 17" MBP screen has the same resolution as the 20" iMac.

The 17" MBP has a faster Core Duo than the 20" iMac

The 17" MBP has FW 800 and PCI-Express Card slot whereas the 20" iMac does not.

The 20" iMac has 3" more screen space.

The 20" iMac has 130GB more hard drive space.

The 20" iMac is £650 cheaper (when adding extras to iMac)

I don't know if I would keep my iBook if I got an iMac, it would be useful for travelling but I really don't travel that much anyway. When the time came that I did need a laptop for travelling I would probably buy a refurbished or s/h Intel based MacBook, since I could use BootCamp if I needed to.

Also, is there a definate date when Leopard will be released?

I'd probably be thinking of buying one around September, so would be willing to hold off if Leopard was to be released around that time. I've heard it's going to be released "around the end of the year" but haven't heard if that will be as far as the end of December or as near as WWDC.

MrENGLISH™
2006-05-15, 11:17
The 20" iMac has 3" more screen space.

The 20" iMac has 130GB more hard drive space.

The 20" iMac is £650 cheaper (when adding extras to iMac).

Both the 17" MBP and the 20" iMac have 1680 x 1050 resolution so there is not "more screen space".

Yes the 20" iMac has a bigger and faster hdd.

Yes the 20" iMac is cheaper than the PORTABLE 17" MBP.

BUT

The 20" iMac does not offer a PCI-Express Card Slot or FW800.

I have both a Rev A 20" iMac G5 and a 12" PB. I use my PB more than my iMac. Why? Because I can take it anywhere I go.

Just do what FFL suggested: Buy the iMac and keep your iBook.

zippy
2006-05-15, 11:53
Both the 17" MBP and the 20" iMac have 1680 x 1050 resolution so there is not "more screen space".

Can you seriously make that argument with a straight face??:err:
Get out a tape measure and find 17". Now keep going until you find 20". See any difference??

Yes, they have the same resolution, but that doesn't turn 17" into 20". It means you get to see the same amount of stuff, only smaller.

Maybe he should have said "more screen size", but I think it's obvious that's what was intended.

MagSafe
2006-05-15, 11:55
Can you seriously make that argument with a straight face??:err:
Get out a tape measure and find 17". Now keep going until you find 20". See any difference??

Yes, they have the same resolution, but that doesn't turn 17" into 20". It means you get to see the same amount of stuff, only smaller.

lol :lol:

Yeah, thats basically what I was meaning ;)

MrENGLISH™
2006-05-15, 12:02
So you are saying that if you had a 20" that displayed 800x600, it would be better than a 15" screen at 800x600?

Hmmm... last time I checked: The finer the pixels, the better the image, the better the screen is.

Just because the 20" is bigger than the 17" DOES NOT make it a better screen when they have the same resolution.

You must be one of those guys that thinks a 60" Projection TV is better than a 32" flat screen because the screen size appears to be bigger.

You can't see it but I still have a straight face ;)

babelfish
2006-05-15, 12:10
Well I've been using a laptop as my primary machine for the last five years and I'm looking to upgrade to a desktop even though I travel a lot.

Why?

Because a laptop is irritating with the screen attached to the keyboard.
It takes up a lot more footprint which makes it harder to work on a desk and have a laptop on as well.
A desktop seems to provide more "freedom" to work with - you can position the keyboard and screen is any configuration you want.

At least that's how I feel.
It might change once I get a desktop though lol

PB PM
2006-05-15, 12:30
Thats why you hook up your screen and external keyboard and mouse to the notebook and have extended desktop, even better. :)

zippy
2006-05-15, 12:45
So you are saying that if you had a 20" that displayed 800x600, it would be better than a 15" screen at 800x600?

Hmmm... last time I checked: The finer the pixels, the better the image, the better the screen is.

Just because the 20" is bigger than the 17" DOES NOT make it a better screen when they have the same resolution.

You must be one of those guys that thinks a 60" Projection TV is better than a 32" flat screen because the screen size appears to be bigger.

You can't see it but I still have a straight face ;)

Well, would you say that 1680 X1050 on a 13.3" screen would be better than 1680 X1050 on a 17" screen? For watching video, that would make for a very clear picture I'll agree, but for computing, you'd never be able to read anything.

So, between the 17" MBP and the 20" iMac, for general computing I'd prefer the extra 3" of screen real estate while maintaining a very clear, sharp image. Really, it's not like the 20" is lacking in resolution.

MrENGLISH™
2006-05-15, 12:50
:lol: ok point taken. I don't think they would ever make a 13.3" 1680x1050 screen though ;)

MagSafe
2006-05-15, 13:46
Because a laptop is irritating with the screen attached to the keyboard.
It takes up a lot more footprint which makes it harder to work on a desk and have a laptop on as well.

A desktop seems to provide more "freedom" to work with - you can position the keyboard and screen is any configuration you want.

Yeah, I guess thats why I feel I want to go back to a desktop.

After using the computers at uni every day it just feels a lot more comfortable to be using a proper keyboard and mouse to do work, rather than a flat keyboard and trackpad that won't move to where you want them to go.

babelfish
2006-05-16, 02:33
I'm actually considering whether to get a 17" MBP, a 20" iMac or a MacMini with a 23" cinema display. They all have their own merits - argh it's impossible to choose :'(

But I'm also thinking about getting a Windows D-Top and then a Macbook.

Basically I'm confused and just want more apple in my life :)

jevau
2006-05-16, 08:45
i just recently moved my PC desktop out of my room, so i now use my 17" PB as my primary computer. to address your question, you have to ask yourself whether the portability is worth it to you, like do you need to have a portable machine to work in places other than your room or office?

right now i use an external monitor, keyboard and mouse and just leave my 17" closed when i'm working in my room, so a 15" MBP could work well for that purpose, and then if you need to work somewhere else you can just unplug everything and go.

of course if portability isn't an issue, then go for the dedicated desktop because you get more for your money. so personally, when it comes to desktop vs laptop, its a question of portability.

cozmo
2006-05-17, 12:35
Ok, now that MacBook is out, iMac or MacBook? Will iMac get the 2.0ghz cpu soon? I was thinking iMac a week ago, but now with MacBook, I am wondering, any advice?

zippy
2006-05-17, 12:45
What's with the or? I'm in the progress of explaining to my wife why it is that I need both?:D

cozmo
2006-05-17, 12:50
Not really a reality right now to get one let alone both.

DMBand0026
2006-05-17, 12:56
Ok, now that MacBook is out, iMac or MacBook? Will iMac get the 2.0ghz cpu soon? I was thinking iMac a week ago, but now with MacBook, I am wondering, any advice?

What are your needs? Explain that to us and we'll be much more able to help you decide.

Majost
2006-05-17, 12:58
Better yet, wait until the purchase of one *is* a reality to get advice! ;)

It'll be more timely that way :)

MagSafe
2006-05-17, 12:59
I wouldn't recommend anyone using a screen under 15" as their main machine, the MacBook would be fine for casual use but definetly not for using for everything, the screen size just isnt big enough :(

....I really can't wait for a 20" iMac now that I've got the idea in my head :p

DMBand0026
2006-05-17, 13:06
My main machine is a 12" PowerBook. It's more than adequate, but I will admit that I'm looking for something bigger and am more than a little excited about the 13" screen in the MacBook. I'm looking to go for something bigger, but not much.

Edit: Fixed a typo.

JayReding
2006-05-17, 16:29
Here's my usual advice: don't worry about what computer, worry about what do I want to do with my computer. If all you're planning on doing is writing and web surfing, a MacBook will do you just fine. If you're not selling the iBook, I'd recommend buying an iMac. That's the arrangement I have now, and it works well for me.

If you're a designer or will end up spending large amounts of time in front of your computer, you're better off with a desktop and then supplement it with a laptop later on down the road.

If you travel a lot and want a machine to take with you, obviously a desktop isn't a good choice.

Remember that refurbished machines can help if you're strapped for cash - I just purchased a refurbished iMac Core Duo, and it's just as good as a new one, has the same warranty, and cost me $200 less.