PDA

View Full Version : Finance Applications

zoomcookie
2004-09-01, 06:22
Hi Everyone,

Can someone recommend a good home finance application. I have looked at the Quicken website and it is the kind of thing I am after. I wondered if there were any recommended shareware apps or should I stump up the cash for Quicken?

Thanks

Windswept
2004-09-01, 17:09
Hi Everyone,

Can someone recommend a good home finance application. I have looked at the Quicken website and it is the kind of thing I am after. I wondered if there were any recommended shareware apps or should I stump up the cash for Quicken?

Thanks
No one has replied. Maybe if I bump this back to the top, someone with pertinent information will see it.

I too would like to know what they say. Now that I (supposedly) have some time available, I'd like to cast order upon the chaos that has been my life. :D (You may think I'm kidding. I'm *not*!!! :( *sigh* )

Does Quicken have a good way to keep track of investment portfolios? I'm sure it must, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

Trekkie
2004-09-01, 18:39
Honestly I've yet to find a good finance management application for home use.

That was the only thing I've yet to find since my switch in 2002.

Right now, I'm using VPC and MS Money 2004.

Windswept
2004-09-01, 19:35
Honestly I've yet to find a good finance management application for home use.

That was the only thing I've yet to find since my switch in 2002.

Right now, I'm using VPC and MS Money 2004.

At one point, I bought an accounting book, and tried to keep track of my stocks that way (by hand). I think I lasted a whole three weeks doing that. :rolleyes: Oh well.

_Ω_
2004-09-01, 19:44
I use QuickBooks through VPC which is a complete pain in the arse. I have since acquired QuickBooks for the Mac and am in the process of transferring all the data across - by hand as the version of QB (PC) was too old to do it automatically.

I also have Quicken as well (2005) which I might investigate as well, though a lot of the features are redundant due to me living outside the States.

Depending on what you need them for, I would say both are capable but I would not give any glowing recommendations for either. It will depend on what you need to use them for. I personally use mine for my business and also for personal use but by no means am I stretching its features.

If you have any direct questions I should be able to investigate.

:)

bassplayinMacFiend
2004-09-02, 10:39
No one has replied. Maybe if I bump this back to the top, someone with pertinent information will see it.

I too would like to know what they say. Now that I (supposedly) have some time available, I'd like to cast order upon the chaos that has been my life. :D (You may think I'm kidding. I'm *not*!!! :( *sigh* )

Does Quicken have a good way to keep track of investment portfolios? I'm sure it must, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

Yes, Quicken can track investment portfolios. At one point I used it to track my 401k, until I discovered my 401k provider allows me to do this from any web enabled computer.

I don't think there are many options for tracking finances in the Mac world (other than websites), although you could build Excel spreadsheets and update by hand. Or, you could build some macros and download updates from the web since Excel can pull http data.

Trekkie
2004-09-03, 13:14
my biggest problem is that they use a different online banking format. OFX is a standard, you shouldn't have to use a windows box only to download statements/online bill pay. But with Quicken you do.

Using that OFX as an excuse is like saying HTML is special for a Mac or a PC and you have to have a special program to view it.

zoomcookie
2004-09-03, 13:46
Thanks for the replies guys. I am not really sure of exactly what I need. I am looking for a good way to keep track of what comes in and goes out, which bills are due on which dates, that kind of thing. Nothing too advanced. I could probably do something in Excel or AppleWorks if my spreadsheet knowledge was up to scratch but it aint :)

I found an old copy of Microsoft Money 4.0 from my old PC days. I have dabbled with it briefly in VPC and that may well suffice.