PDA

View Full Version : Speed, Bugs, Lightweight Coming?

dbw001
2006-05-19, 15:28
I have 3 questions:

1) If I book a new MacBook and have to choose, should I take the 2.0 Mhz with 512 memory, or 1.83 with 1 gig of memory?

2) Should I wait a couple of months to let Apple fix any initial bugs in this release?

3) Light weight is important to my wife (this is for her). What are the odds that Apple will release a lightweight laptop that can compete weight-wise with a small Sony or Dell (I know that PCs are not as good, but weight is a big consideration when schlepping through the airports...)

Thanks for any and all advice.

Brad
2006-05-19, 16:10
Welcome to AppleNova, dbw001!

1) If I book a new MacBook and have to choose, should I take the 2.0 Mhz with 512 memory, or 1.83 with 1 gig of memory?
Of those two, I'd definitely suggest the one with more memory. Note, however, that you can often buy RAM cheaper from third-party retailers than from Apple's "build to order" service. RAM is very easy to install yourself.

2) Should I wait a couple of months to let Apple fix any initial bugs in this release?
The general advice always goes like this: if you can wait, wait. If you need it now, don't wait. :)

3) Light weight is important to my wife (this is for her). What are the odds that Apple will release a lightweight laptop that can compete weight-wise with a small Sony or Dell (I know that PCs are not as good, but weight is a big consideration when schlepping through the airports...)
I don't expect it to happen any time soon. Apple is pretty steadfast about keeping general feature parity across all product lines. Sacrificing something like the optical drive for weight and size would be a pretty extreme departure from Apple's current trends.

On a side note, thank you for posting coherent and thoughtful questions. :) Many first-time posters have pretty bad etiquette in this area.

mrkamputee
2006-05-19, 16:11
I have 3 questions:

Get the 1.83 and 1 gig of memory from a third party and install it yourself. Unless you want/need dvd-writing out of the box. The processor difference isn't as big as you'd imagine.

Wouldn't like to say, but I waited for a month after the mbp was introduced before I ordered one, that was before anyone had one in their hands, I panicked about the problems, but when my finally arrived weeks later it was fine. It's still fine :) Go with it now, if there's a problem you've got every right to demand a replacement or get it fixed.

Thanks for any and all advice.

I wouldn't like to say, I know how often other mac fans go on about sub-notebooks and all sorts of rubbish that wont have any mass market appeal, I don't think we'll see any other notebook offerings. Maybe the MacBook'll lose a bit of fat in the future though eh? ;)

dbw001
2006-05-19, 16:45
I wouldn't like to say, I know how often other mac fans go on about sub-notebooks and all sorts of rubbish that wont have any mass market appeal, I don't think we'll see any other notebook offerings. Maybe the MacBook'll lose a bit of fat in the future though eh? ;)

It would be nice to have the McBook lose some weight. When you think of how elegant the iPod is, it is hard to understand why macbooks are still relatively heavy.

Brad
2006-05-19, 19:03
It would be nice to have the McBook lose some weight. When you think of how elegant the iPod is, it is hard to understand why macbooks are still relatively heavy.
Is it really that hard to understand?

Even ignoring the screen and keyboard, there are many essential components in the MacBook that add significant weight and bulk (and of course functionality) over the iPod. Without them, you no longer have a normal computer.

Normal hard drive (The iPod's drive is not suitable for continuous access.)
Optical drive
CPU, GPU/chipset, I/O
Heatsink and fan
Wireless adapters and antennae
Battery large enough to power everything

At most, Apple could drop the optical drive, use a slower CPU, and include a smaller battery. However, such a feature-neuter machine has a small niche audience that is practically irrelevant for Apple. The big retailers can build machines for a niche like that because they're selling to a market twenty times the size of Apple's.

dbw001
2006-05-20, 19:47
Sorry - I can understand why it is so heavy now, you are right. I mis-spoke. What I meant is that I wish the amazing engineers at Apple would figure out a way to overcome these limitations. The history of computers is one of continuous innovation and minaturization, so it is strange that this weight issues has not been able to be addressed.

But I get your point, Brad, not to worry. And thanks for running a great forum -

Wyatt
2006-05-20, 20:58
Sorry - I can understand why it is so heavy now, you are right. I mis-spoke. What I meant is that I wish the amazing engineers at Apple would figure out a way to overcome these limitations. The history of computers is one of continuous innovation and minaturization, so it is strange that this weight issues has not been able to be addressed.

But I get your point, Brad, not to worry. And thanks for running a great forum -
Many PC laptops weigh as much as 8 pounds and don't offer as much functionality. I don't think we should worry about it too much. Things are, in fact, getting better.

Most ultra-light notebooks sacrafice functionality. For example, some notebooks are sold without optical drives to save a few ounces. Others are made so small that they're practically unusable for serious use. I actually think Apple has struck a good balance with their portable lineup.

Oh, and welcome to AppleNova. I hope you stick around for more than just this thread. You seem to have a decent head on your shoulders. You'd fit in will here, I think.

BarracksSi
2006-05-20, 21:34
What you need to compare are other laptops that have the same stuff that the MacBook has, then compare weight & pricing. Not the other way around.

Robo
2006-05-21, 15:22
Exactly.

That's what amazes me about the MacBook.

Dell's Core Duo offerings start at what, $999? For 1.67 Ghz?

For $1,099, the MacBook is faster, and has an iSight, a bigger hard drive, and a remote. And it's much smaller and lighter.

The MacBook is priced extremely competitively for an Apple computer.

Performa636CD
2006-05-21, 15:34

This is my pet peeve about many technology consumers. Instead of letting new and improved technology reduce the size and weight of current gadgets, consumers insist on roughly keeping the same weight and size, but want higher performance. For many, I understand. But there are some that are willinging to maintain same CPU/HD/RAM performance over 5 years as long as the size, weight, and battery life drastically improves to compensate.

A perfect example of this is the cellphone. I don't want a camera, web browsing, MP3 player, or calculator. Just give me phone that doesn't leave a bulge in my pocket, has extra long battery life, and an address book...THAT'S IT!

Laptop users are somewhat luckier as shown by the sub notebook niche, however the fact remains that improvements in technology are used to decrease the size and weight up to a point...then all the improvements go to increase performance.

dbw001
2006-05-21, 16:12
This is my pet peeve about many technology consumers. Instead of letting new and improved technology reduce the size and weight of current gadgets, consumers insist on roughly keeping the same weight and size, but want higher performance. For many, I understand. But there are some that are willinging to maintain same CPU/HD/RAM performance over 5 years as long as the size, weight, and battery life drastically improves to compensate.

A perfect example of this is the cellphone. I don't want a camera, web browsing, MP3 player, or calculator. Just give me phone that doesn't leave a bulge in my pocket, has extra long battery life, and an address book...THAT'S IT!

Laptop users are somewhat luckier as shown by the sub notebook niche, however the fact remains that improvements in technology are used to decrease the size and weight up to a point...then all the improvements go to increase performance.

When you find that phone - send me the link. I could not agree more...!