PDA

View Full Version : Menu Items Gone

alcimedes
2004-09-01, 14:38
Ok, so where you normally see your clock, airport strength etc. I now have nothing. To the best of my knowledge, the only thing i fucked with was some file called "MagicMenu" something or other. I thought it was what was putting the stupid stuffit icon in my menu, and decided to kill it. I went to far.

I no long see my Camino bookmarks, my chat programs don't work, clock is gone etc. However, as near as I can tell, all of the files/info are still there doing just peachy.

Anyone have any ideas how I could get things back to normal? I have a full backup from two days ago, so I could probably just replace one Library folder with another, but I'd rather fix it if it's relatively straight forward.

Brad
2004-09-01, 14:47
I assume you've done a full reboot, yes?

Have you tried creating another account to see if the problem is limited to your own account?

cudaboy_71
2004-09-01, 14:53
im new here. so, i dunno if its common knowledge to try all the basics--restart, repair permissions, etc.. i'll list them out for you if you want.

hoping that's all been addressed, i'd try reinstalling stuffit and removing the magic menu the proper way (going to sysprefs->accounts->startup items and removing it from the list rather than killing it)

if that doesnt do it, peruse your crashlogs and see what's crashing (presumably SysUI or something related to it as that handles the items in the right side of the menubar)

keep us posted on your progress.

Brad
2004-09-01, 14:57
im new here. so, i dunno if its common knowledge to try all the basics--restart, repair permissions, etc.. i'll list them out for you if you want.Welcome to AN! We have a FAQ (It's these same idiot developers that have forced me and many other people into using Pacifist to carefully examine the contents of packages before installing them.) at the top of the Genius Bar that alcimedes has actually contributed with. So, we can trust he's already tried the basics such as permission fixing. ;)

FFL
2004-09-01, 14:59
How about installing 10.3.5 COMBO Updater?

alcimedes
2004-09-01, 14:59
Yeah, I'll play around with creating new accounts when I get home. Just to be on the safe side, I'm doing a full backup before I start playing around with it tonight, and it's got another 16.4GB to go.

Nothing is worse than messing with your machine when it hasn't been backed up. This way even if I get impatient, I haven't lost everything.

I booted into Single User mode and they didn't come back. Will give more info after this backup is done and I'm back at the house.