PDA

View Full Version : Apple PDA soon!

Crusader
2004-05-19, 17:03
With the new developments in chip processes by IBM, and Apple's success with the iPod, Apple will soon debut a new PDA based upon a scaled down Darwin system. This PDA will be a "true" assistant, helping people connect to every-day devices that they use.

300 Mhz PPC G3 Processor
256 MB of RAM
4 GB Micro-harddrive ala iPod mini
Firewire & Firewireless
802.11G
USB
4 inch wide-screen display

:p

Zodiac
2004-05-19, 18:25
I doubt it. Where did you hear this?

stoo
2004-05-19, 18:28
Battery life: an hour.

Isn't microdrive production going to be taken up with fulfilling iPod mini (etc) orders for a while.

Wickers
2004-05-19, 18:52
Now that sounds like a grand better spent somewhere else.

I would like to see something a bit different.

This ARM (http://www.arm.com/products/CPUs/MPCoreMultiprocessor.html) CPU.
128 Megs of RAM... (hey with a quad core CPU with an MMU why not give room for proper multi-tasking.)
64 Megs of ROM... (flash based)
CF slot.
802.11a (this is just a PDA... g is not needed.)
One USB port. (for USB devices, keyboard, webcam, mass storage, etc..)
A flip screen... @ 640x320 res.
Powered by an ATI chip... 3D.
Docking station... USB based.
Java enabled.
Internal battery pack, and option for slim external add on pack.

Tiger Aqua themed interface...

Linux kernel (hehe... don't wanna hear it you guys!) 2.6.x. Apple would have to write the windowing system... X11 is not that great for PDAs... while it works, I'd rather see Apple make a fully 3D interface.

All for a good price and I'd buy one.

EDIT>>> Oh I almost forgot... the CPU can be clocked from 335mhz to 550mhz.... so the low end model would be 400mhz and the high end one would be 500mhz... 4 months after release Apple would bump the speed to 450mhz and 550mhz and drop the price by 50 bucks.

Crusader
2004-05-19, 19:14
Originally posted by Zodiac:
I doubt it. Where did you hear this?

Like any true AI'er... I don't reveal my sources :p

psmith2.0
2004-05-19, 19:35
Like any true AI'er, almost entirely full of shit. :)

Tell you what, if this thing appears within the next 18 months I'll gladly send a $50 iTMS certificate your way. If it DOESN'T appear, well then you do the same for me. Deal?

I think my money is safe...

thegelding
2004-05-19, 23:54
price??

the problem is it will cost 800 bucks and for 900 you can get a laptop

g

Mac+
2004-05-20, 01:08
Whilst I'd love to see an Apple PDA - or further extension to the iPod, I find this "rumor" highly unlikely.

torifile
2004-05-20, 01:18
I think g hit it on the head: with laptop prices coming down, what's the point? I would LOVE a reincarnated Newton. That thing was WAY ahead of its time. I'd still have mine today if it weren't so gosh-darned big. If you've never used a newton, you're really missing out on a piece of history. Unfortunately, I think that's all it will be...

Mac+
2004-05-20, 01:32
I think g hit it on the head: with laptop prices coming down, what's the point? I would LOVE a reincarnated Newton. That thing was WAY ahead of its time. I'd still have mine today if it weren't so gosh-darned big. If you've never used a newton, you're really missing out on a piece of history. Unfortunately, I think that's all it will be...
The Newton was way cool imho. :) I sort of feel that it is a pity it was axed - but I also understood the need to clean up ship at that stage of Apple's history. (not to ignore the bias of a thorough de-Scullifying effort by Jobs at the same time) Nonetheless, there are elements of the GUI that made it into OS X -perhaps most notably the "poof' of smoke when you remove an item from the Dock.

... speaking of the Newton - where's Fran441? (however it was spelled)

Bill M
2004-05-20, 03:03
Just take a look at the PalmOne Treo 600 (which I just got)... if Apple ever comes up with a PDA, it won't be a "me too" Palm or PocketPC, but rather a full featured and iSync-able mobile phone.

psmith2.0
2004-05-20, 09:31
I agree. Personally, I don't think Apple will ever wade into this space. BUT, if they do, they will - in true form - do something really nice and quite unique with it. It won't be just a run of the mill Zire knock-off. They'll outfit it with Bluetooth or AirPort and figure out a way to sync to this, backup to that, listen to this, save to that, store this, control that, etc.

It won't be your father's PDA.

But, again, I don't think they'll do anything. I've never bought any of this handheld/tablet crap that routinely flows through the various rumor sites.

Apple had better get to looking at their COMPUTERS again, and quit hanging all their hopes and dreams on the iPod and iTunes. That buzz/momentum ain't gonna last forever, guys...

It's been nearly a year since the towers have been updated, in case anyone's keeping track...

;)

Crusader
2004-05-22, 11:19
Ha, good call pscates2.0

I figured, hey since it will be brought up eventually, why not do it now? True to my old self-proclaimed title of "Keeper of the Apple PDA Rumors" I BS'd this one up. The PDA Rumors always fascinate me for some reason, maybe it's the "coolness" factor. Look at how many people have Powerbooks vs. Newtons and you will see why a "full-featured" PDA won't suceed. But wouldn't it be oh-so cool to have a color-screened doohicky to remotely run terminal commands? I know it would make me feel cool :D

PS: One day I will put my money where my mouth is and get an e-Mate/Newton :cool:

2004-05-22, 14:13
802.11a (this is just a PDA... g is not needed.)

b <-

1. The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 2 characters.

AsLan^
2004-05-22, 19:51
Well... I just had to let the world know that I just ordered a Sharp Zaurus SL-6000, I cant wait till it arrives.

Cell phones can replace more conventional PDA's basic features, but a PDA like the Zaurus is not a conventional PDA.

It's running Linux for a start and is basically a small computer in PDA form factor. Now although I enjoy using Linux but there really is no reason it couldnt be running something like OS X.3, I think it even meets the minimium specs for doing so. Apple could rebrand a PDA like this and just run their own OS with a small amount of porting.

Interestingly enough this PDA could also replace my cell phone (in a perfect world), it comes with VOIP software and IBM's WebEveryplace software so you can roam through hotspots without losing your connection, imagine that running with iChat AV !

I know this seems like a shameless plug for the Zaurus but I'm just a little excited and... (hear this Apple) Im not going to buy another Mac until they make their laptop screens competitive with the PC Laptop screens currently available (XBrite etc.)

stoo
2004-05-22, 20:31
Remember that http://iphone.org goes to Apple.

While I'm tempted by a WiFi/megapixel camer/MP3 playing/dancing PDA, I'd like to upgrade my phone at the same time, in a small but perfectly formed digitial convergence device. And GPS (I suppose USB would do...;))

It's been nearly a year since the towers have been updated, in case anyone's keeping track...

Just maybe... ;)

Frank777
2004-05-22, 21:40
Remember that http://iphone.org goes to Apple.

I've been a keeper of the Apple PDA idea for years myself, and would probably order one the day it's announced.

That said, I've always believed the iPhone.org thing to be a ruse.

Jobs would never telegraph his intentions so obviously and Apple doesn't register .org domains for anything major.

The domain was registered in very late 1999, and I believe it was a distraction to hide from the rumormill the direction Apple had decided to proceed with the iPod. The iPod was released in October 2001. IIRC the iPod was said to have an 18 month development cycle, so the timing is about right.

FFL
2004-05-22, 22:09
price??

the problem is it will cost 800 bucks and for 900 you can get a laptop

g
True, but just as a laptop gets a premium over a desktop, a "PDA-with-laptop-functionality" will command a premium over a laptop.

chucker
2004-05-25, 17:43
Apple will soon debut a new PDA based upon a scaled down Darwin system

- Darwin's XNU kernel design makes no sense for an embedded device, *at all*
- Darwin focuses on a BSD-derived Userland. Again, this is hardly of help for a PDA.
- Darwin lacks a GUI on its own other than XDarwin, an X11 implementation. However, XDarwin, in turn, is totally not equipped for PDAs either.

:P back!

Messiahtosh
2004-05-26, 14:53
I believe that there is a market for a handwriting recognition tablet/PDA. Not everyone wants to walk around with a bulky 12'' PowerBook, and by bulky, I mean that it can not fit in a pocket.

Something to replace a paper calendar and notepad is all that is needed. I know all of that stuff already exists, but nothing really nice. Something the size of an iPod but with the necessary apps, text edit, calendar, contacts, and why not iPod interface?

I really do think an iPod Organizer could be a hit, for say, $650.

Mac+
2004-05-26, 23:19
...[snip]... I really do think an iPod Organizer could be a hit, for say, $650.
So do I - although that's a little too steep for the $Au conversion I think. Anyway, I'm always up for iPod evolution! I guess it's just the late adopter in me. ;)

Messiahtosh
2004-05-27, 17:57
Question: Can a PDA really do wireless internet and email well? How much money would it cost for product and net service?

Question 2: Can a PowerBook receive wireless internet from anything other than an airport basestation? Can a bluetooth phone transmit its net to the PowerBook?

Thanks, your truly clueless Messiahtosh. ;)

HOM
2004-05-27, 18:12
Question: Can a PDA really do wireless internet and email well? How much money would it cost for product and net service?

Question 2: Can a PowerBook receive wireless internet from anything other than an airport basestation? Can a bluetooth phone transmit its net to the PowerBook?

1. Yes. Just ask a Treo 600 or a Crackberry owner. I paid $500 from my Treo 600. My service is thorough Cingular and I get unlimited data, 1500 SMS, and 500 MMS for $20.

2. Yes. A BT enabled Powerbook can get internet access from a BT enabled phone, assuming it supports it. There is also a program called QuickLink Mobile (http://www.smithmicro.com/default.tpl?sku=QLMMAKEE&cart=10856990223582445&group=product_full) that will allow use of a wired phone via USB for an internet connection.

Just imagine if Steve hadn't said no to this.
http://www.mobile-review.com/newslist/2004/May/images/oqo.jpg

AsLan^
2004-05-27, 18:17

Question 1: Yes, these PDA's cost around $600 - $700. Doesn't wireless access cost like $40 a month from T Mobile.

Question 2: Yes a powerbook can receive wireless internet from any 802.11b or 802.11g base station. I use my ibook with a Netgear MR 814v2 (802.11b router). I dont know about bluetooth (I dont have any bluetooth devices), but the whole idea behind blue tooth is that any bluetooth device can talk to another.

Crusader
2004-05-31, 13:48
Originaly posted by HOM: CARTHAGO DELENDA EST

Carthage must burn? Lets stop the quoting of dead Roman Senators now... :p
What exactly is that image of anyway, HOM?

HOM
2004-05-31, 14:27
Carthage must burn? Lets stop the quoting of dead Roman Senators now... :p
It's Carthage must be destroyed, not burn, but I'll let that one slide. ;)
What exactly is that image of anyway, HOM?
It's the OQO Model 01 (http://www.oqo.com/hardware/basics/). If memory serves me, the founders of OQO were on the PowerBook team. They took their idea for a computer 'core' that contained all your information to Steve. CPU, HDD, ect were all enclosed in a very small brick that could be used in conjunction with different shells. You need a PDA, drop the core in the PDA shell. Same with laptop or desktop. Steve rejected it. The guys left to found their own company.

In a similar vein, IBM introduced their MetaPad concept about a year ago.
http://www.golem.de/0205/19940-metapad_artikel.jpg

Here you can see the core sitting next to a PDA shell. This is the IBM model. OQO seems to have moved away from their original idea.

torifile
2004-06-07, 22:07
Question 1: Yes, these PDA's cost around $600 - $700. Doesn't wireless access cost like $40 a month from T Mobile.

Question 2: Yes a powerbook can receive wireless internet from any 802.11b or 802.11g base station. I use my ibook with a Netgear MR 814v2 (802.11b router). I dont know about bluetooth (I dont have any bluetooth devices), but the whole idea behind blue tooth is that any bluetooth device can talk to another.

Q1 (real answer ;)): Yes, my T3 does it pretty well. I wouldn't choose it over my powerbook, but in a pinch it works. The email part of it is actually pretty well advanced. After all, it IS just text. Again, I wouldn't choose my T3 over my powerbook, but it was nice to have my T3 in my pocket checking my email hourly when I had to.

Q2 (another real answer ;)): 802.11x is a given. It can also do BT connections to the internet. Back when I had t-mobile service, I could do it for free. T-Mobile has free unlimited data plans with any service over $39.00. They've restricted port usage to non-secure things, so SSL connections are out, but it works.

Ebby
2004-06-07, 23:01
300 Mhz PPC G3 Processor
256 MB of RAM
4 GB Micro-harddrive ala iPod mini
Firewire & Firewireless
802.11G
USB
4 inch wide-screen display

333Mhz PPC G3
128MB RAM
6GB Hard drive
Firewire/USB PCI card = $65 (added later)
19" monitor
$2975

Hey, look! It's not that far off from my Beige G3! :wow: