PDA

View Full Version : Apple Care

iofevolution
2006-05-20, 10:12
Should I get Apple Care with my MacBook, seeing they are brand spanking new and may warrant problems in the future? OR, am I wasting my time/money?

Wyatt
2006-05-20, 10:15
In general, most will tell you that Apple Care is a good idea for a portable, as portables are more likely to have problems than desktops. However, if you don't feel like spending the extra money right now, you have a full year from the date you purchase your MacBook to add Apple Care to it. I would suggest that you buy it now if you can afford it, but if you want to wait, you do have a year.

billybobsky
2006-05-20, 11:00
Buy it.

macleod
2006-05-20, 11:29
I'm getting the AppleCare for my MacBook, but I am waiting a little while to get it. You can wait a year before getting it. (someone correct me if I am wrong on that or if it is dumb to wait that long)

Robo
2006-05-20, 11:38
Well, MACleod, you technically said "You can't wait a year before getting it" which is wrong. You can wait up to a year. But I think that's what you meant.

macleod
2006-05-20, 11:40
Yeah thanks. Sorry for that weird typo/mistake!

LudwigVan
2006-05-20, 11:47
(someone correct me if I am wrong on that or if it is dumb to wait that long)

The only thing you're missing out on is the free phone support, which expires 90 days after purchase. With AppleCare, that component continues for a full three years, like its hardware coverage.

iofevolution
2006-05-20, 13:28
so the general consensus is to go with the applecare...I only ask because i remember getting a warranty through circuit city with my sony vaio...and when my screen was scratched it wasn't covered and i was friggin PISSED OFF!!!

Performa636CD
2006-05-20, 13:42
Umm, alot of warranties will not cover damage due to the user being careless. AppleCare doesn't cover damage due to drops, spills, etc. You might get lucky and have Apple fix those problems anyways.

iofevolution
2006-05-20, 13:44
What exactly does AppleCare cover, and is it something is strongly suggested.

P.S. I may be ignorant on this subject but I am not ignorant in general, thanks

ironlung
2006-05-20, 13:45
Applecare does not cover accidental damage. So a scratched screen would not be covered

Performa636CD
2006-05-20, 13:47
It's my understanding that AppleCare is an extended warranty rather than actual insurance. So if you're typing away on AppleNova forums, and poof, your computer shuts down due to overheating because of a broken fan - that's what Apple will repair free of charge. But if you accidentally drop your laptop...tough luck.

iofevolution
2006-05-20, 13:49
What are the chances of any hardware malfunctions? Is it ignorant to even ask and safe to assume that purchasing AppleCare is logical and necessary?

P.S. If you are able to purchase AppleCare up to a year after purchasing the product then is it safe to say that if something went wrong and the purchased AppleCare i'd be safe? In otherwords, wait till almost a year is up and unless nothing is wrong purchase it then, almost giving me 4 years hypothetically speaking (typing)?

Performa636CD
2006-05-20, 13:53
I've had some bad luck with my 12" PowerBook's hard drive. I've replaced it TWICE because it made clicky noises and would freeze all the time. The first time it broke, it was under the original 1 year warranty. The second time occurred a few months ago, but I had bought AppleCare, thankfully. Apple had DHL drop off a packing box Thursday morning, DHL picked up my laptop Thursday afternoon, and on Tuesday morning of the next week, my PowerBook came back with a shiny new hard drive.

New MacBook Pros (and I assume MacBooks) have the gyro sensor/accelerometer to help protect the hard drive.

Sketch
2006-05-20, 14:00
What are the chances of any hardware malfunctions? well can't predict that. Some ppl have powerbooks for 2-3 years without any hardware malfunctions. I had a powerbook which my motherboard and HDD malfunctioned right after the 1 yr warranty.

s it ignorant to even ask and safe to assume that purchasing AppleCare is logical and necessary?in my case it would have been great if I had applecare when my hardware failed because it just happened and it wasn't my fault. But one of my friends spilled coke recently on my powerbook which even if I had applecare that would've been useless.

Some companies offer different insurance for accidental damages (At least in the apple store I bought in Europe). I have such an insurance for my MBP for 3 years.

iofevolution
2006-05-20, 14:03
Whats the price/warranty/duration of an insurance coverage?

Performa636CD
2006-05-20, 14:04
P.S. If you are able to purchase AppleCare up to a year after purchasing the product then is it safe to say that if something went wrong and the purchased AppleCare i'd be safe? In otherwords, wait till almost a year is up and unless nothing is wrong purchase it then, almost giving me 4 years hypothetically speaking (typing)?

Almost. If you decide to wait until the original warranty is almost up to buy and activate AppleCare, you will get an additional two years, so 3 total. If you buy the AppleCare when you buy your laptop, one way of looking at it is that the AppleCare you just spent several hundred dollars for does nothing until the original year is up. Of course, if you call Apple's tech support after 90 days, that will use the AppleCare.

Honestly, you lose 90 days worth of interest capability by buying the AppleCare at the same time you buy your Apple machine. Your money can be more wisely spent earning interest in some high yield online bank account.

Sketch
2006-05-20, 14:12
Whats the price/warranty/duration of an insurance coverage? well I purchased mine for 100 Euro for my MBP for 3 years. If I accedently break my computer, something like drop it on the floor, I have to pay 1/4 of the price of the notebook and they will give me a new one. But if there is any hardware failure, then they will fix it for free of charge. Its a pretty good deal (at least I think so)

LudwigVan
2006-05-20, 14:48

Whether you purchase AppleCare on day 1 or day 364, its coverage begins from the date of purchase--three years maximum from that date is what you get. By the way, should you sell your laptop before the three years is up, the AppleCare coverage--which is transferable with the computer--can be help you out viz. your sale price.

Whats the price/warranty/duration of an insurance coverage?

If you have homeowner's or renter's insurance, there may be coverage there, though you may want to doublecheck with your insurance company. Should that option not be available to you, there are some companies the specialize in laptop insurance. The one I'm only casually familiar with is Safeware (http://www.safeware.com/).