PDA

View Full Version : AppleCare, how many wish they had purchased it?

brutox
2006-05-25, 08:48
How many of you purchased a new computer from apple and chose not to purchase the apple care and a couple of months down the line wish they had?

What computer did you buy and why did you wish you had purchased the applecare?

Lurch104
2006-05-25, 09:20
As I ponder purchasing the new MacBook, I was considering Apple Care. I did some research and my American Express doubles the warrantee up to one additional year. I can't imagine me keeping a computer much longer than two years, so I've decided against it.

I realize that may not have been what you were looking for, I just wanted to give you another data point in making your decision.

Strangely, I have never seen the credit card warrantee issue discussed on the forums when speaking about Apple Care.

Brad
2006-05-25, 09:22
This smells like Purchasing Advice. Moving...

Brad
2006-05-25, 09:25
...doubles the warrantee...
Warranty. "Warrantee" is a person.

That said, I'm fairly certain I've read about members here (or at another forum I used to frequent) successfully using their credit card like this. I have no personal experience regarding it, though.

brutox
2006-05-25, 09:29
Perhaps getting an Amex would be more effective and cheaper than Applecare? Has anyone used it?

BTW: What american express gives you this option?

BlueRabbit
2006-05-25, 12:28
AppleCare has been pretty useful for my 12" PowerBook. The hard drive died a couple months ago (two years after purchase), and it was really easy to get it replaced. Of course, without AppleCare I would have just installed a new drive myself, but it was much simpler with AppleCare. I'm also using this computer for another year (until my AppleCare runs out), so something else may go wrong.

Lurch104
2006-05-25, 12:43
Perhaps getting an Amex would be more effective and cheaper than Applecare? Has anyone used it?

BTW: What american express gives you this option?

I checked specifically on my Hilton Honors Platinum American Express. I am pretty sure that some of my other cards offer this as well.

For what its worth, this particular Amex has no annual fee.

http://tinyurl.com/ehvf9

"Buyer's Assurance
With the Buyer's Assurance Plan, you can shop worry-free knowing that the terms of the original manufacturer's warranty will be matched up to one additional year, on warranties of five years or less that are eligible in the U.S"

Joolz34
2006-05-26, 04:02
In the Czech Republic theres a law that states that almost all products (there are some exceptions) have to be guaranteed for 2 years minimum. So the Macbook that I bought here basically gets the year from Apple plus another year from the reseller. By that time who knows what I will do with it - if there are issues with the HD for example Id replace it myself but if its something like the logic board Id probably just end up upgrading and getting a newer machine.

spikeh
2006-05-28, 07:04
If you don't have Applecare can you still pay for parts / labour so you don't invalidate your warranty?

Ichiban_jay
2006-05-28, 14:05
yes, but it costs an arm and a leg... Literally. Usually around $650 for a LCD replacement for example.

Flat labor is $200 minimum.

macslack
2006-05-28, 17:55
Unless they changed something recently you could actually enroll in the Applecare plan up until the last day of your initial one year warranty. What myself and most of my compatriots do is operate with the one year warranty and then if we still have it at the end of the year we get an Applecare warranty. I know of several people that have had entire machines replaced because of this warranty. A good friend at work actually had her 12" Powerbook have so many problems they just sent her a new one. It was already 2 or 3 years old.

Peace,
macslack

spikeh
2006-05-28, 18:59
yes, but it costs an arm and a leg... Literally.

:lol: Don't like the sound of that :)

I can live with £400 for an LCD replacement, its cheaper than replacing an entire Mac a year later, anyway. Is Applecare transferable if you upgrade to a new machine?

BenP
2006-05-28, 20:09
No kidding! I wonder if they'd take my spleen instead?

spikeh
2006-05-29, 04:36
Or perhaps have me grow a stomach-load of ears for transplant purposes.

megsanrocks
2006-06-08, 19:11
Does this AMEX extended warranty apply to Canadian AMEX holders also? Or is it just an American thing?

jdcfsu
2006-06-08, 20:16
I had no idea of the AMEX deal. Just read my terms and there it is. Pretty cool.

torifile
2006-06-08, 21:09
Unless they changed something recently you could actually enroll in the Applecare plan up until the last day of your initial one year warranty. What myself and most of my compatriots do is operate with the one year warranty and then if we still have it at the end of the year we get an Applecare warranty. I know of several people that have had entire machines replaced because of this warranty. A good friend at work actually had her 12" Powerbook have so many problems they just sent her a new one. It was already 2 or 3 years old.

Peace,
macslack
As far as I know, this is still the case.

Luca
2006-06-08, 21:19
I've never bought AppleCare, but then I also haven't bought a new Mac and kept it for more than a year. Well, I did own a Mac mini for about 13 or 14 months, but by the time the year was up I was already trying to sell it. That's changing with my current Mac - a 12" PowerBook purchased as an open box return a couple months ago. I haven't bought AppleCare for it yet, but I plan on doing so before the year is up. Based on my experience with the Mac mini, which I was extremely satisfied with, I shouldn't need to replace this PowerBook for quite some time.

I'd argue that AppleCare is quite necessary for laptops and iMacs (it's questionable for the mini since that computer is so cheap you're almost better off just replacing it if something breaks irreparably after the first year). Laptops especially are moved around and abused even by the most careful of users, and parts on them tend to fail even under normal use over time. Obviously if there's a single accident that causes a hardware failure, your chances of getting it fixed under AppleCare are slim to none, but if a problem develops due to frequent use it should be covered.

torifile
2006-06-08, 22:34
IMO, all all-in-one owners should buy Applecare. You really can't do anything in them on your own and if you have to get something fixed, you'll be out more than the cost of the warranty.

thegeriatric
2006-06-09, 05:06
Don't forget you only get 90 days tech support. (At least in the uk) Where as if you take Applecare,
you get tech support as well, whilst my Mac mini has been fine (had it 15months) i have had the need to use tech support a couple of times. Maybe if you are a techy type person you wouldn't need it, but to us non techy types, and especially for me it was a lifesaver.

bassplayinMacFiend
2006-06-09, 08:36
Don't forget, you won't get in-home repair service unless you have AppleCare.

Also, my Platinum VISA doubles the manufacturer's warranty up to a year as well. I didn't have to use it when I had my PBG4 so I can't tell you how good they are about covering their end of the bargain though.

Luca
2006-06-09, 08:43
Apple doesn't do on-site repairs, AppleCare or not. I know Dell offers on-site warranty plans, and probably a few other companies as well, but with Apple you have to mail it in.

Banana
2006-06-09, 09:07
But what about independent resellers? They could offer their own warranty on top of applecare?

PB PM
2006-06-09, 12:08
Yes they can, and some do. I know the store I bought my ibook from does. They also sell a three year warrenty, but it costs about the same, so frankly I'd rather send it to Apple than these guys, as much as I like the service at the shop.

PKIDelirium
2006-06-09, 12:17
After my experiences with an AppleCare repair center, I'd rather have work done by a local authorized service center than send it to those monkeys again. :no:

merlin
2006-06-09, 15:07
I purchased the 17" G4 Powerbook when they first came out 3 years ago and didn't have one single problem with the machine during that entire time. Then, just last week, my hard drive unexpectedly crashed and after having it looked at by a local authorized dealer, came to find out that 3 years in Hawaii had corroded the mother board as well (salt water i'm guessing). This happened on June 2nd and my warranty ended on June 5th! After having Apple speak with the store, they'll be sending me a new MacBook Pro! It's not all good news though as I purchased a MacBook Pro on June 4th with the intention of just selling my G4 after it was fixed. Oh well, I'm sure I can find something to do with it. Apple was absolutely brilliant when it came to dealing with my problem and I'll always purchase AppleCare.
Cheers,

billyliberty
2006-06-12, 18:02
I checked specifically on my Hilton Honors Platinum American Express. I am pretty sure that some of my other cards offer this as well.

For what its worth, this particular Amex has no annual fee.

http://tinyurl.com/ehvf9

"Buyer's Assurance
With the Buyer's Assurance Plan, you can shop worry-free knowing that the terms of the original manufacturer's warranty will be matched up to one additional year, on warranties of five years or less that are eligible in the U.S"

Keep in mind that if you decide to purchase Applecare AND you use your American Express card, then the Buyer's Assurance Plan will take effect following the conclusion of the Applecare extended warranty. Essentially this would amount to a total of 4 years of warranty protection with the first three coming from Applecare and the fourth year coming from AMEX which would mirror the original one year warranty of the product.

toyotaco01
2006-06-13, 09:33
I hate to change the topic, but real quick: Does adding RAM yourself (i.e. bought by a third party) void Applecare?

I couldn't find anything when doing a search and figured this would be a good place to ask.

Luca
2006-06-13, 10:18
No.