PDA

View Full Version : iPod Nano: Black or White? (Also, Apple Laptop)

iFerret
2006-05-26, 03:55
Hi,

For my birthday this year, on the 15th June, I'm going to be getting an iPod Nano. I'd like to know which colour you have/prefer/think is better and for what reasons. Personally I have no real preference, and finding out what you think would help me.

Also, my mom (and me later on) will be getting a laptop of some kind soon, neither of us do that much, mainly surfing and word processing, although I do a bit of graphics and movies and a lot of online reading. I'd like to know what laptop would suit my mom, and what laptop would be best for me. If the MacBook, then what colour- black or white?

Looking forward to hearing your views!

Thanks,
Anthony

BTW: In regards to the laptop I'd be willing to go secondhand ebay/trademe-type iBook or PowerBook for that. But the iPod will be bought new.

iFerret
2006-05-26, 05:13
Howdy,

Movies aren't that important to either of us, actually.

Cheers,
Anthony

Sketch
2006-05-26, 06:51
For the iPod nano, the color really depends on the personal preference. I like the color black because the white one can get dirty easily. I suppose you already know which capacity you want to buy, as you haven't mentioned anything about that.

As for the laptop, go for the MacBook. For the MB, get the white 1.83Ghz one and upgrade with 3rd party HDD and RAM (Apple RAM is very expensive), which would cost much less than the black MacBook. But if you like the color black then go for that but you pay more for the color.

curiousuburb
2006-05-26, 06:59
Do you have a budget?

You might find a refurb MBP (or PB) via the Apple Store online which gets more bang (and pixels) for your $.

Movie making and graphics can often benefit from the extra screen real estate of a 15".

Depends on your priorities (portability/power/price/etc...)

Windowsrookie
2006-05-26, 07:34
For the iPod nano, the color really depends on the personal preference. I like the color black because the white one can get dirty easily.

As opposed to the scratches on the black one?

colivigan
2006-05-26, 08:07
It's pretty simple, really. What sort of spy are you?

http://www.networkingtheinternet.com/images/spy-vs-spy.jpg

Is it 1981?
2006-05-26, 08:15
What a game!

Luca
2006-05-26, 08:43
White hides scratches better, and it also matches all the accessories (Apple doesn't make matching black cables or headphones). Also, if you get a MacBook as well, the white ones cost $150-$200 less than the black ones, so I'd strongly recommend white. Then if you have a white iPod nano, it'll match.

Black might be more distinctive or unique, but why would you spend $150 extra on the MacBook just for the color?

Sketch
2006-05-26, 10:08
Like I said, it depends on the personal preference, and I prefer black over white. I wish even my MBP was black. :D

Is it 1981?
2006-05-26, 11:48
The correct answers are 'white' and 'white'. :D

psmith2.0
2006-05-26, 12:10
White looks crisp and "Apple-y" to me. I prefer it over black or anything else (even silver/aluminum).

Luca
2006-05-26, 12:11
Like I said, it depends on the personal preference, and I prefer black over white. I wish even my MBP was black. :D
But you're iceman. You should prefer white.

Sketch
2006-05-26, 12:35
yeah well I am tooo white. So, I need something other than white, black (I want my Apple to be noticeable). :D... remember Apple also had multicolored Apple logo.

Wyatt
2006-05-26, 13:14
White looks crisp and "Apple-y" to me. I prefer it over black or anything else (even silver/aluminum).
That's why I went with the white one, myself. Looks much more "Mac-like".

iFerret
2006-05-26, 21:30
At this stage I'm thinking of going for the white iPod. From what I can judge scratches show up less and it matches with all the accessories. Luca makes a good point too, so does iceman and windows rookie.

As for the laptop, I'll keep thinking about that.

Thanks for your thoughts so far, keep 'em coming!

random precision
2006-05-27, 09:59
of course, ultimately it's down to personal taste.

i prefer white. it suits my clean minimalistic tastes, and as others have mentioned, it's sort of the apple trademark colour and the accessories are the same colour.

i remember working in an office which used dell pcs, :| and they upgraded from the off-white colour to black. initially i liked the aesthetics of the black PCs, but after a while the novelty wore off. ultimately, i think the the black models are popular because they are unique, but once apple starts to use the black finish more, i think we'll see a resurgence in the white finish popularity.

Kraetos
2006-05-27, 11:19
As opposed to the scratches on the black one?

Good point. But the white one will be scratched too, just not as much. All iPods get scratched, except for the aluminum iPod mini.

To prevent scratches, buy yourself one of these: the invisible shield. (http://www.shieldzone.com/item_description/APL6090.html) Nobody will ever know its there, and your iPod will never get a scratch. In my opinion, when buying an iPod, these things aren't even optional.

I seriously think Apple should either buy or make a deal with shieldzone to put these on all iPods as they ship. One of the biggest complaints against iPod is how easily they scratch, and this is a perfect solution.

iFerret
2006-05-28, 01:38
To prevent scratches, buy yourself one of these: the invisible shield. Nobody will ever know its there, and your iPod will never get a scratch. In my opinion, when buying an iPod, these things aren't even optional.
Mmm, I'll have to get me one of those, they sound like a godsend.

I seriously think Apple should either buy or make a deal with shieldzone to put these on all iPods as they ship. One of the biggest complaints against iPod is how easily they scratch, and this is a perfect solution.
Great idea, it seems that this is one sort of thing the iPod is missing. Pity Apple didn't already do that. A bonus would be if it was provided for free, but I'm not sure if I can see that happening.

When I get the iPod, I'll make sure I get me a piece of that pie, or something similar anyway... :cool:

About capacity...
I don't really have much of a music collection (maybe... a few hundred songs?) so which is going to be better for me? My budget is US$200 maximum, so that opens for the 2GB iPod.

iFerret
2006-06-03, 05:13
An Update:

On this Friday just been, my Mom and I went and purchased the iPod. :) We ended up getting the white 1GB, which for me should be more than enough. I can't use it until later on in June though. :( Bugger. All is well on the ipod front, and I think the halo effect might be working on me. I cant wait until our current computer dies, coz when it does, we're having a piece of the Mac pie.

I was having a totu on and a fiddle an iMac today in Harvey Norman - and :cancer: . Compared to this peecee, the iMac damn well rocks!

BarracksSi
2006-06-03, 05:58
If you get black, you'll want to keep them cleaner and protect them more against scratches, so maybe they'll get better treatment as a result.

Me, I'd get white.

turbulentfurball
2006-06-03, 09:37
I've had a black 4Gig Nano for 3 days now and I keep it constantly in the pouch. I like that I can use the click wheel through it I clean the smudges with the cloth I use for cleaning glasses. No scratches yet. If you've had an iPod before you may be like me in the sense that I'm terrified of breaking it. I had a fourth generation iPod and it seemed so much sturdier. Perhaps it's because the Nano is considerably smaller and thinner. I just know that I'm going to sit on it at some point, and I'm not sure how it would cope with that.

spikeh
2006-06-03, 11:53
Get the white one and a second-hand iBook / Macbook.

Personally, I'm still waiting for a Dog The Bounty Hunter edition iPod to be unveiled before buying one.

Wrao
2006-06-03, 12:20
Hi,

For my birthday this year, on the 15th June.

That's my birthday too.

Maciej
2006-06-03, 12:22
Personally, I'm still waiting for a Dog The Bounty Hunter edition iPod to be unveiled before buying one.

What kind of music does Dog listen to?

spikeh
2006-06-03, 13:24
Anything involving imagery related to hunting, righteous badass-ness, redemption, doing time, motorbikes, and mullets.

Maciej
2006-06-03, 18:10
ahh, I see he's following in my footsteps.

spikeh
2006-06-04, 05:37
ahh, I see he's following in my footsteps.

:lol: