PDA

View Full Version : 8 pin speaker cable

stevegong
2004-09-03, 15:21
Has anyone here heard of an 8 pin speaker cable before? I've been trying to find them all over without success. I got the Yamaha YST-MS50 speakers in January but lost this cable so I can't use my speakers.

Has anyone ever seen this tipe of cable or have any idea where I can get one?

Thanks.

http://www.people.virginia.edu/~rg8s/Misc/DSC02419.JPG

Eugene
2004-09-03, 17:35
Looks like a generic 8-pin mini-DIN cable.

LoCash
2004-09-03, 19:11
Eugene is right, it's an 8-pin mini DIN cable. Bang & Olufsen uses that connector pretty exclusively on all of their kit. They refer to it under their brand name "PowerLink". Ergo, you could buy one from B&O, but they'll charge you an arm and a leg. I imagine Radio Shack would have it, and probably any high end audio store.

Ebby
2004-09-03, 20:08
Isn't that the same cable used for the modem/printer ports on old Macs? You could probably pick one up for cheap at a used mac store or something.

stevegong
2004-09-03, 22:38
Well, see the problem is I've been to just about every single electronics store in Charlottesville including radio shack and none of them have any idea what it is.

Any other way to get it, say, online not too expensive?

(mac printer cable? that's odd, because this is for speakers, I'm not sure if I want to try that out)

but thanks everyone for the help, very kind of you.

Ebby
2004-09-04, 02:12
I just pulled this off my laserwriter...
http://www.ssba.com/lad/pins.jpg

Sorry the pins didn't come out well, but they look like the same thing. 3 rows of pins, center row kinda offset...

LINKY (http://www.national-tech.com/catalog/macserialcables.htm)

kindly_com
2004-11-01, 01:10
Hi--I have tons of these Apple 8-pin mini-din serial cables from many years of early Mac hardware, happy to send one. They may be straight thru (printer?) or cross-wired (modem), have to check with a meter. I was given a Yamaha subwoofer and not sure I have the right/left speakers--the manual shows the controls on the right small unit, these are then connecting to the sub thru the 8-pin cable. If I want to hook output right to the sub, need the pinout of the 8-pin socket. Anyone got that? If so, thanks in advance.

stevegong
2004-11-01, 04:20
oh man, is there really a distinction between straight through and cross?

I managed to get one of these cables from a dude, plugged it into my speakers and it wouldn't turn on. (can't rememmber if I heard a soft popping noise)

So I borrowed my friend's cable which is the exact same one I lost into my speakers to test it, and it lights up and all but no sound.

So I think the cable I got from dude might have been crossed and messed up my speakers? I am not sure what to do at this point...

anyone have any ideas?

bush_sucks
2005-04-24, 12:45
Has anyone here heard of an 8 pin speaker cable before? I've been trying to find them all over without success. I got the Yamaha YST-MS50 speakers in January but lost this cable so I can't use my speakers.

Has anyone ever seen this tipe of cable or have any idea where I can get one?

Thanks.

http://www.people.virginia.edu/~rg8s/Misc/DSC02419.JPG
All you need to do is order a new cable from Yamaha. You could buy an 8 pin DIN connector and try to figure out which oins are which and hope you can solder shilded wire well but it'd be easier and cleaner to just buy a new cable.
http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/CDA/ContentDetail/Text_WithCatMenu_SC/0,6381,CTID%253D410095%2526CNTYP%253D,00.html

stevegong
2005-04-24, 15:49
I got an 8 pin Din from an old mac printer, and plugged it in, and I think I busted my speakers. They won't work now. (I then got the yamaha cable, but it still doen't work)

are the speakers actually messed up or do I just need to change a fuse or something? The lights on the satellite sights up meaning power still goes to it, but it doesn't play anything and sometimes makes some hissing noises.

Do I need to throw the speakers away at this point?

Steve.

Ebby
2005-04-24, 16:38
At this point, I'd say it is probably cheaper and easier to get a new pair of speakers. Although I suggest you get a normal pair that uses standard 1/8" jacks or RCA ports. ;) You know, for compatibility.

EDIT: Oh, jeez! I posted here before. I hope it wasn't my suggestion that killed your speakers for good. If I did, I'm very, verry sorry. :o

Bryson
2005-04-24, 16:47
Sounds like you've applied DC to the audio input. You might, if you were sufficently handy with a soldering iron, AND you could get hold of a new set of drivers, be able to repair them. But I wouldn't bother (and I am, by trade, handy with a soldering iron and know where to get spare speaker drivers...). Just buy some new ones - and as Ebby says, get some with some more sensible connectors on!

stevegong
2005-04-24, 16:52
At this point, I'd say it is probably cheaper and easier to get a new pair of speakers. Although I suggest you get a normal pair that uses standard 1/8" jacks or RCA ports. ;) You know, for compatibility.

EDIT: Oh, jeez! I posted here before. I hope it wasn't my suggestion that killed your speakers for good. If I did, I'm very, verry sorry. :o

Oh, don't worry about it. It's my fault that I lost them in the first place. I actually bought a pair of the same speakers for $40, but just wanted to see if I could make any use of that old pair, since it is still very new, and back in the day they went for $179.

Thanks