PDA

View Full Version : iPod Cases

Bryson
2006-06-02, 08:18
I can't believe there isn't a topic on this already (I did search, but couldn't find anything,) but...

I need to get a case for a new 60GB iPod w/Video. My trusty 40GB B&W iPod was stolen by the cleaners a few weeks ago (and subsequently sold in a dodgy Newcastle boozer) and so the insurance is buying me a shiny new 60GB Black iPod to replace it. But, I know from bitter experience that unless I put it in a case within 20 seconds of opening the box, it will get scratched to death before I even load any music onto it.

So, what to get? There's such a bewildering array these days, I don't know where to start. All I know is:
Not the official Apple leather one - way overpriced, and you have to take it out to use it!
Not one of those rubbery ones. I know, given the way I use the 'pod that it will be covered in fluff in seconds.

Suggestions please!

PS: Should I get it engraved to try and prevent future theft? I know it nixes your resale value, but I doubt I will ever sell it anyway.

Windowsrookie
2006-06-02, 08:39
The stock apple case is crap. Causes more harm than good. I like the silicon cases, mostly because there cheap.

Mikester
2006-06-02, 08:47
I have a 5th Gen 60 Gb iPod and I bought the Agent18 clear plastic case. It does add some bulk to the iPod but it still fits into my universal dock and you have the advantage of not having to take the iPod out of the case to use it.

The case protects the iPod well, covering it on all sides (including the back) with holes for the various switches, headphone jack and docking thingy at the bottom. Best of all, it does cover the screen, but allows you to watch movies, etc. perfectly well through it.

I've had mine six months and has become quite scratched, but nowhere near as badly as the iPod would have. In fact, I'd rather have the scratches on a £15 case than on a £300 iPod! The scratches have not become so badly so as to impact on looking at the screen, and if I have to buy a new case every year or so, that's better than having a scratched iPod.

Hope this helps!

P.S. Any opportunistic thief is not going to stop to see whether your iPod is engraved before they steal it. Only have it engraved if there is something you would like to appear on there.

Engine Joe
2006-06-02, 08:57
I like the Invisible Shield (http://www.shieldzone.com/category/ipods/) - it doesn't cover up the oh-so-attractive iPod, yet it protects against scratching remarkably well. I've had one on my 60 GB iPod with video since November and nary a scratch. It of course doesn't provide protection if you drop the iPod, however.

DMBand0026
2006-06-02, 12:42
The stock apple case is crap, it causes more harm than good. I like the silicon cases mostly because they're cheap.

Fixed that for you.

Luca
2006-06-02, 12:47
The stock apple case is crap; it causes more harm than good. I like the silicon cases mostly because they're cheap.Fixed that for you.
Fixed that for YOU.

torifile
2006-06-02, 13:41
I've got this (http://www.marware.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/Marware.woa/7/wa/selectedCategory?catalogCatID=206&wosid=5stnao4JiLMxNRDk5Id9zg) marware case. It's not the greatest in the world, but I like that it has multiple ways of carrying the case - a beltclip, with a front "cover" or with an armband. It works with the dock and covers nearly every millimeter of the iPod with the exception of a cut out for the headphone jack.

You might also want to check out ilounge.com's reviews of cases. They're very comprehensive and quite accurate with my estimation of the various cases I've had.

Sketch
2006-11-15, 04:22
I didn't want to open a new thread for just one small question. Does anyone know how good or bad zCover ISA (http://www.zcover.com/store/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=245) as an iPod skin? Does it make the iPod bulky or sticky (because it is a rubber)? Also, which one is better, zCover or Invisible Shield? Please let me know. Thanks

Fahrenheit
2006-11-15, 06:30
Bryse, tesco's did one for £1, but it was for the Nano, a silicone case. They may have some for the normal sized ipod, but you'll have to look. Good quality as well.

Also, with regards to marking it, I got a UV pen from the police station and marked all my stuff in the house with my postcode/phone number. You can pick up one of those pens cheap from anywhere really, and they are invisible to the eye, so the iPod looks pretty. :)