PDA

View Full Version : Macbook w/Windows pre-installed

GladToBeHere
2006-06-03, 20:26
Has anyone gotten a Macbook with Windows pre-installed? I'm wondering if you get a Windows license with it (likely not). Also, when bootcamp is no longer beta, and whatever bootcamp matures into is mainstream in Leopard, a user will still need their own copy of Windows, I'm assuming...?

Windowsrookie
2006-06-03, 21:07
no.yes.

LudwigVan
2006-06-03, 22:46
Has anyone gotten a Macbook with Windows pre-installed? I'm wondering if you get a Windows license with it (likely not).

Here's a long answer.

No, I haven't, but MacMall (http://www.macmall.com/macmall/promotions/custom5~p~Apple_Boot%20Camp.asp) (and no doubt other places) offer Windows XP pre-installed on Macs, if the buyer wishes.

And why do you think there is no XP license for the user, as in the MacMall circumstance above? How is this different than getting a license for any other (legitimately) pre-installed piece of software?

Also, when bootcamp is no longer beta, and whatever bootcamp matures into is mainstream in Leopard, a user will still need their own copy of Windows, I'm assuming...?

Yes. And it would be to the user's advatange to have some original XP media in case of problems, reinstallation, etc.

GladToBeHere
2006-06-04, 09:43
Maybe I don't mean license, I mean a disk with Windows on it. I got screwed once and got no install disks, so when I had to reinstall, I was up a creek.

Wyatt
2006-06-04, 10:05
Maybe I don't mean license, I mean a disk with Windows on it. I got screwed once and got no install disks, so when I had to reinstall, I was up a creek.
Ah, yes, media is different than a license. You'll need to contact the seller directly to find out if they include the Windows disc with the MacBook. Some will, but others probably won't, so you'll need to check before ordering. Definitely don't order it if they won't send the media. I think you've already learned that lesson, though. :D

By the way, why don't you want to install Windows yourself? It's not too terribly hard, and that'll give you the opportunity to make everything exactly as you like without somebody else dicking around with your machine. (Then again, I've installed XP on close to 100 machines, so I could just be overly experienced to be making the "easy" judgement).

PB PM
2006-06-04, 13:56
I've installed XP on one machine, and helped someone install it on another, its not rocket science.

GladToBeHere
2006-06-04, 14:05
I guess I have to add if you haven't seen any of my other posts-- my Toshiba recently started alerting me that my copy of Windows is counterfeit. It isn't. But, I have no install disks to prove that. I don't want to buy a Mac and continue to get pestered like I have this last week. (Turns out the issue was the wrong date and time. Whatever, M$.)

GladToBeHere
2006-06-04, 14:09
Oh, and I don't mind doing any of this stuff myself anymore. I have a nephew with limited experience wanting to buy a Macbook. He's far away, without help, and really bad with phone instruction.