PDA

View Full Version : Take 5 before you buy!

Gargoyle
2006-06-04, 16:39
After a drastic change in job environment (Gone from working from home, to putting in 12 hour days incl. travel), I decided to switch from my iMac back to a laptop.

I went to get my new MacBook (Black) today. At first I thought I was going to get a 15" MacBook Pro. After spending 15-20 mins in the shop comparing the vital stats of a few models I thought I had decided on the MB Pro so that it was a similar spec to my iMac (Same gfx, bigger HD etc).

Then, me and the good lady went for a coffee. (She's been trying to get me to try one of these caramel things for ages). So I am sat there drinking this monstrosity of a coffee thinking about the change in job, and what it means to my computing usage, and how I had used the iMac over the last 6 months. Then I realised that I was not even putting a slight strain on the iMac - at least 70% of its power was idling away most of the time.

So I returned to the Apple store, whipped out my credit card and settled for the MB (Black), "saving" myself about £600. The only thing I am not 100% happy with is the glossy screen. I would have preferred a mat one, but after using it for the last 20 mins, its not as bad as I thought it would be - time will tell when I get to use it in some different light conditions.

The moral of the story, after you have spent hours spec whoring the stats to death, take 5 and ponder what you will actually be using the machine for. This MB has 1/4 the memory of my iMac (I have not installed the 512 module yet) and I have not even noticed it!

psmith2.0
2006-06-04, 22:00
Good post. I seriously overbought on my PowerBook (spent $2,599 nearly three years ago, when I could've spend half that on an iBook G4).

It's back to the affordable, sensible iStuff for me next time.

At the time, I remember thinking "well, I'm futureproofing...".

:err:

Well, guess what? I've not used the DVI out, FireWire 800 or card slot ONCE in over two-and-a-half years. So "future-proof" my eye!

:D

For a $1,299 MacBook or iMac, I know I can get more power than I'll ever need or tap into. THAT'S where I should be putting my purchasing dollars...

Sometimes those lessons come hard (and at a steep price), but I'm glad I learned it. I'll be buying smarter from here out, that's for sure!

RowdyScot
2006-06-04, 23:48
I haven't used the full capabilities of my Dual 2.3 G5 yet, but I bought it knowing that I'd be using it as a recording studio before too long. Making the investment in Logic and new equipment/dual monitor later this summer. It'll be a workhorse before too long :D

Ebby
2006-06-05, 00:08
Wouldn't work for me. That is one of the questions I ask when looking for a new laptop. I got a powerbook 6 years ago, didn't need the fastest so 400Mhz 128 MB RAM, intended to upgrade as I needed it. Used it to its full potential. I would have regretted getting a iBook but that's just me.

MacBook Pro all the way baby! No tinker toy for me! :devil:

wecallitfall
2006-06-05, 03:42
hey i did exactly the same thing this time last week

after spending an hour in the Trafford Centre store ogling the MBs i thought i'd decided, i even got in the queue, then i left, went to HMV and decided to leave it, and now it looks like i made the best move because i can save £150 through someone i know's business (no VAT to pay) AND i'll get a free 2gig Nano aswell

:D