PDA

View Full Version : All MP3's Disappeared

04BlackWRX
2004-09-04, 21:55
I listened to my favorite song on iTunes this morning at 10, closed the application out, went to the Clemson Football game, just got home (computer was left on and nobody has access to it). I am connected through DSL. I opened up my music folder and it said "Music folder not found" so I try it 3 more times, the music folder appears, and there everything is set back to normal. All 1,200+ songs are gone. So I do a search and find that my entired Music folder has been moved into my Picture folder. How did this folder move by itself???

trailmaster308
2004-09-04, 22:04
Genius bar...

Do you have roommates? I know u said that nobody has access, but I can't see that it would move itself. Your software firewall should be turned on by default keeping anyone out. Was it logged on while you were away?

04BlackWRX
2004-09-04, 22:07
Sorry, I forget that my questions are genius bar level (not bragging just stating). No one was in my home at all for 7 hours today because of the football game. Yes it was logged on, but I also have Little Snith, Firewalls, and a router firewall setup. I am a computer science major and for once am stumpped.....

trailmaster308
2004-09-04, 22:17
hmm you sure you didn't have too many beers at the game and accidently dragged you music folder over to the photos folder??? ;)

psmith2.0
2004-09-04, 22:19
That seems the most likely scenario, the more I think about it. :D

Make sure you didn't put your Address Book contacts into GarageBand! :p

murbot
2004-09-04, 22:23
Hmm. Genius Bar for advice on safe computing... or AppleOutsider for advice on keeping that drinking in check.

Ah, I'll leave it. I have a streak of doing nothing to keep going.

:D

trailmaster308
2004-09-04, 22:26
...at least you have that going for you :)

alcimedes
2004-09-04, 22:53
well, i can think of no *computer related* reason why the file would have moved from the music folder to the pictures folder.

in fact, there's zero reason why it should have. in instances of either "the computer did something that seems impossible" up against "someone did something and i just don't know it", i put my money on "someone did something" every time.

thing is, computers do what you tell them, or they crash.

as a csci major, and considering you know what little snitch is, and used firewall in a sentence properly (;)), it sounds like you have the security angle down pat. so to me an outside party is taken from the equation. (or you could have the first mac trojan ever. :p)

anyway, if the computer had done something, your music files would be deleted somehow, or possibly corrupted. not moved to the pictures folder.

i say start asking roommates. (oh, and i'm moving to the genius bar for kicks. just to make murbot look bad)

04BlackWRX
2004-09-05, 09:45
Well you guys are rule out 2 of the options.

1. I was in the Clemson Press Box all game (ie no drinking).

2. I live at a house and have no roommates (ie nobody to mess with it).

I admit it's quite humorous and I did a virus scan, yes I know it was pointless but it was worth a try, and at first I thought they had all been deleted since the entire music folder was gone. Thanks for the suggestions though, glad to see there are some cool guys in here. Have to talk more often I guess. :smokey:

alcimedes
2004-09-05, 10:39
one thing you might want to look at, is is it possible you set the "default location" for your iTunes MP3's to the picture folder by mistake? it would keep playing the songs, and that would move them all in one giant group. short of that, i can't think of a way they'd all end up there. the picture folder isn't exactly something you normally browse to, or the iTunes music folder for that matter.

if you ever find the solution, post it back here. now i'm interested. :)

staph
2004-09-05, 11:02
one thing you might want to look at, is is it possible you set the "default location" for your iTunes MP3's to the picture folder by mistake? it would keep playing the songs, and that would move them all in one giant group.

I'm not sure that that would actually happen tho' — last time I moved an iTunes library from it's default location, I had to move the files to their new home by hand.

It could just be me, of course…

At any rate, you wouldn't have the first OS X trojan, you'd have the second (after that lame-arse Office 2004 trojan).

-S