PDA

View Full Version : Crypto and OSX

drewprops
2006-06-07, 21:10
Although it's not a programming topic per se, I figure that crypto might be more intelligently discussed in this rumpus room than anywhere else on the AN playground as the topic could run into matters that are code-related. So, do any of you use OS X crypto software? I'm talking about simple stuff like encrypting email, hard drives and the like.

Brad
2006-06-07, 22:15
I take it an encrypted DMG is not an option? Or are you looking for something more robust?

rminkler
2006-06-08, 00:54
I use GPG and the GPG apple mail plugin.

Gargoyle
2006-06-08, 03:55
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

I also use GPG with the Mail plugin. :-)
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.3 (Darwin)

iQCVAwUBRIfl+68PbcFgFjUwAQKkBgP9EHDhtm9PNSpwFt2yCU 7u6TcR0iCqAvbI
65RdNOFQa7OLnuNbQFXGNMEjsr8Febtybquxqtktt0dAbBWGQT IpHb3RNA6heASY
2D9/Gc3U2ETkMp/8lMCB5mAEY4mXTCk2eSFxpV7247mKln0UWvIS+954AKf2zMfi
BMCW8kGn2ZQ=
=P3iw
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

Gargoyle
2006-06-08, 03:59
I also sent quite a detailed feature request to Apple stating that this type of encryption is "missing" from OSX.

I heavily hinted how much of a good idea it would be to integrate the enter PGP/GPG system into the OS. Storing other peoples public keys in address book (not another keychain), and having a service menu item to encrypt / sign text.

I look forward to seeing if my comments have been taken on in 10.5.

blakbyrd
2006-06-08, 04:20
So, um, you send enrypted mail to everyone. I mean, examples would be cool. :)

Gargoyle
2006-06-08, 04:30
No I don't encrypt every email.

GPG is a command line open source software that is compatible with the commercial PGP software. (Google for technical stuff). I used it to sign my earlier post - being a big geek, I couldn't resist! :)

There are also some nice plugins for Mail that give you extra options to sign and/or encrypt messages to other people. The main use I have is with one of my automated domain name registration systems. The automated system has a verified copy of my public key, and I sign the message whenever I request a change to a domain name. The automated system can then be sure that the message came from me, and that it has not been altered in transit.

Edit: Oh and before you get put off by the "command line" bit. Check out http://macgpg.sourceforge.net/ for some nice easy installers for OSX.

Mugge
2006-06-08, 04:42
I also sent quite a detailed feature request to Apple stating that this type of encryption is "missing" from OSX.

I heavily hinted how much of a good idea it would be to integrate the enter PGP/GPG system into the OS. Storing other peoples public keys in address book (not another keychain), and having a service menu item to encrypt / sign text.

I look forward to seeing if my comments have been taken on in 10.5.

Great idea!

I followed your example and sent them a request for that too. Let's just hope they understand my layman wording.

:D

blakbyrd
2006-06-08, 04:48
No I don't encrypt every email.

GPG is a command line open source software that is compatible with the commercial PGP software. (Google for technical stuff). I used it to sign my earlier post - being a big geek, I couldn't resist! :)

There are also some nice plugins for Mail that give you extra options to sign and/or encrypt messages to other people. The main use I have is with one of my automated domain name registration systems. The automated system has a verified copy of my public key, and I sign the message whenever I request a change to a domain name. The automated system can then be sure that the message came from me, and that it has not been altered in transit.

Edit: Oh and before you get put off by the "command line" bit. Check out http://macgpg.sourceforge.net/ for some nice easy installers for OSX.
Cool. Thanks. :D

bassplayinMacFiend
2006-06-08, 09:48
I've used GPG / PGP in the past. When I was taking CS courses we examined the workings of DES, 3DES, Diffie-Helman, El-Gamal and discrete logarithms to see how cryptography worked (on a basic level with hand-waving to get through the hard parts).

We also studied old crypto methods like the Caesar shift (crypto was used in Roman times even though it was quite simplistic, but most people couldn't even read at that time either), Vigenere encryption, the enigma machine and one-time pad. It was really cool seeing how cryptography has evolved over the centuries.