PDA

View Full Version : A cheaper USB modem?

Robo
2006-06-07, 22:32
One of my friends is about to buy a MacBook! Woo! My first "Mac Evangelicalist" point! But he uses dial-up. Can anyone recommend a cheaper USB modem than the one Apple sells? There's plenty on NewEgg, but few support OS X, and those that do aren't much cheaper than the Apple modem.

THANKS!

Robo
2006-06-07, 23:56
Ack, sorry, wrong forum. I guess this kinda is purchasing advice, huh?

Question: Are modems pretty "plug and play"? Or do you need Mac drivers?

scrouds
2006-06-08, 01:44
Id say just pony up the exttra 50 bucks or (better) get high speed and say hello to the 21st century.

PB PM
2006-06-08, 01:49
$50, bah, don't bother... get high speed its not that expensive. We can get cheap DSL or Cable, $30 a month for high speed, and $19 for half speed... then again from what I've seen high speed internet tends to be cheaper in Canada.

Luca
2006-06-08, 04:51
Maybe high speed internet isn't available in his area? I know they didn't bring high speed internet to my parents' neighborhood until a couple years ago. All they had was IDSL, which is basically bottlenecked DSL that costs like 3x as much as usual. Almost no one had it except my family, mostly because my dad's employer paid for it.

But yeah, unless he's in a situation like the one I described, it's pretty ridiculous to not pony up for high speed internet. You say he's buying a MacBook? His priorities seemed messed up. He's spending $1100+ on a computer yet he can't afford a $50 modem or $30-$40 a month internet service (vs. what, $10 a month dialup)?

Robo
2006-06-08, 12:22
Luca is right - high speed internet is not available in my friend's area (he lives in the country).

He's headed off to college in the fall, anyway (where he'll have broadband), but he wants to be able to go online on his MacBook before then.

He can afford the $50 modem, but knowing that Apple accessories are sometimes expensive, I was doing some digging for a cheaper one. I found some for less, but the only ones that claimed to support OS X were like $42 anyway, and once you add the shipping there's no real savings.

So I think I'm going to tell him to just go ahead and buy the Apple one. He actually said he wants it to match the computer, anyway. Who knew?

Thanks everyone (well, mainly Luca).

Luca
2006-06-08, 14:11
I bet the Apple modem will retain its value better, too. Once he moves out and he doesn't need it anymore I'm sure someone would be willing to buy it on eBay for $40.

Windowsrookie
2006-06-08, 14:48
I once looked for a USB modem for my imac G3 (internal one burned out) The apple one is the ONLY USB modem. I couldn't find ONE other modem that was USB and worked with mac os. Sadly, the Apple modem requires a G4. :(

Banana
2006-06-08, 14:53
I once looked for a USB modem for my imac G3 (internal one burned out) The apple one is the ONLY USB modem. I couldn't find ONE other modem that was USB and worked with mac os. Sadly, the Apple modem requires a G4. :(

Somehow I don't believe this. It may be a case where the specifications says G4, but in reality works with G3 just dandy.

Windowsrookie
2006-06-08, 14:57
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/6164003/wo/4r5MTBqEzFHR3ZVy7okcgt05ctV/1.0.19.1.0.8.25.7.11.0.3

Says imac G5, Powermac G5, or macmini.

I looked at an apple store and it said a G4 minimum. It doesn't say anything about intel machines.

Robo
2006-06-08, 15:34
I bet the Apple modem will retain its value better, too. Once he moves out and he doesn't need it anymore I'm sure someone would be willing to buy it on eBay for $40.

That's what I'm thinking, too.

As for the Apple USB Modem's requirements, all it lists are "Macintosh computer without a built-in modem" and "MacOS X 10.4.3 or later." I think the former may be your problem, WR....

hflomberg
2006-06-08, 16:06
I have one I that has never been used. Interested?

Email me. It's just taking up space right now

Luca
2006-06-08, 21:27
I'm sure Apple put those silly system requirements on the box just to prevent people from buying the thing who can't really benefit from it. Most G3 Macs have built-in modems.

Banana
2006-06-08, 22:29
I'm sure Apple put those silly system requirements on the box just to prevent people from buying the thing who can't really benefit from it. Most G3 Macs have built-in modems.

Makes perfect sense.

I simply can't think of why G3 Macs would be unable to support a USB modem, Apple or not.