PDA

View Full Version : My Belkin TuneCast II review with pictures

usurp
2004-09-06, 12:04
Ok, I had a first generation iTrip with a second generation ipod. When i sold my ipod i sold my itrip with it.

I then purchased a blue mini and decided to get another FM transmitter.

My options were, itrip mini, monster cables icarplay and the Belkin TuneCast II.

I decided NOT to go with the itrip since i wanted something better and new. The iCarPlay looked good. It also plugged into my mini from the dock socket which meant the sound should come out good plus it charged my mini at the same time. But at over 50$ and the fact i could only tune to a handful of stations i decided not to risk it. I finally settled on the TuneCast II. The regular white version costs 28$ on amazon while the black version which came with a powersupply for it cost me 31$.

I read the review on ipodlounge and felt it would do me good. The reviews on amazon though made me duobtful. People were complaining about the sound quality. I figured.. they must all be wrong.

A week later i received my TuneCast. It was a nice package, came with batteries and the car charger. Right away i plugged the power cable in and connected it to my mini. I live in Kuwait and 90% of the frequencies are empty here. So i have the freedom to choose any frequency i want.

At first the sound was too low. I decided to raise the volume 3/4 of the way as i was used to with the itrip and still it felt weak but any higher and the sound would start to distort. I decided to raise my car volume and right away i noticed something. The bass was pretty full and deep. With the iTrip the bass always felt weak but with the TuneCast i actually had to decrease the bass by a notch on my car sound system so that it became normal.

Listening to the song, something didnt sound right. I decided to change the song, still something was weird. I put Nirvana unplugged and i realized what the problem was.

The TuneCast was distorting the vocals. Its not related to the volume of the mini, i lowered it and i raised it and no matter what i did the vocals were getting distorted, as if it was passing through some kind of device that digitised or added noise to the vocals. Whatever the case whatever song i played, trance, alternative, R&B.. all styles various songs there was this weird slight distortion in the vocal range.

I tried my best to ignore it but it was anoying since Nirvana Unplugged for example didnt sound unplugged anymore.

Second problem was the static, unless you listened to the music lound u would hear static. I changed the frequency to numerous ones and i kept hearing static. Also this was while i was driving so it wasnt from any local source around me. With the itrip worst case if the static got really bad i would fiddle with it a bit or hold it and the static would clear but with the tunecast nothing i did affected the static.

any pluses? well its definetly A LOT easier and much much more practical to change the frequency using the TuneCast.

In conclusion after using it for 2 days i ended up giving it to my sister. She is using it in her car with her mini and she seems happy with it. I think I will probably getting the itrip next.

here are pics

http://www.unex-t.com/tunecast

BarracksSi
2004-09-07, 01:14
I gave up on the idea of a transmitter within 5 minutes of trying to use a Monster iCarPlay, and I'm not surprised to hear similar problems with the Tunecast. The technology hasn't improved in twenty years.

Seriously consider one of the hardwire options for in-car use. It took me fifteen minutes to install an RCA adapter to my OEM head unit, and I'll never bother with a transmitter again.

usurp
2004-09-07, 04:27
yeah i need to get harwired..