PDA

View Full Version : iPod no worky :-(

Wrao
2004-09-06, 14:49
Over the past week, my iPod has taken a couple of spills.

I dropped it twice accidentally(both about 3 feet drops to hardness) , and a roommate knocked it off a 4 foot cabinet onto hardwood floor last night accidentally.

now the buttons aren't working, or they'll work intermittently sort of on and off, or they will half work. What's the deal?

I can't imagine how a fall could affect the touch sensitives buttons, particularly considering how sensitive these buttons normally are.

this is really frustrating.

any input will be very much appreciated

~3rd generation 20 GB iPod

sunrain
2004-09-06, 15:50
I doubt it's the buttons themselves that are the problem. From the repeated drops you've possibly loosened multiple connections inside. Could be connections on the circuit board or...? Dropping a hard drive isn't a good thing and that's basically what you've got inside.

When you get your next iPod, buy it a soft case or maybe just quit dropping it. ;)

Wrao
2004-09-06, 17:25
I know it's a kind of "doctor says my nose won't bleed if I keep my fingers out of it" type of thing, but these things happen...

sunrain
2004-09-06, 18:41
I know it's a kind of "doctor says my nose won't bleed if I keep my fingers out of it" type of thing, but these things happen...

You could try getting some warranty service, but I think it's a do-it-yourself job at this point. Perhaps replacing the HD and then flashing it with a new OS copy? iPodlounge.com might have some ideas or starting points for you to look at.

http://www.ipodlounge.com/

and uh, keep your fingers out of your nose while you're at it...

:lol:

Wrao
2004-09-06, 18:54
Man, that's so disappointing, I just tried it again. The scroll works, sort of...none of the buttons work. augh!

BarracksSi
2004-09-07, 01:09
You could try getting some warranty service,...

^^^ what he said...

I took mine in (to the Apple Store in Mall Of America.. happened to be in town) because the Hold switch just wasn't working right anymore. I told them that it was an as-is open box item from Best Buy, but somehow forgot to tell them that I dropped it. :D

They brought out a brand-new one, I signed for it, and that was that. Went back to my hotel and reloaded it.

Maciej
2004-09-07, 09:23
Wow, I wish my apple store did that. :\ They couldn't even fix the lid on my laptop right...

Wrao
2004-09-07, 13:04
Hm, So what would happen if I took it down to the cambridge Apple store later today? besides being laughed at.

would they say "okay, we can fix it but it'll cost you $300" or would it just cost the price of applecare? or will they not be able to fix it and I'm shit out of luck?

sunrain
2004-09-07, 13:11
Hm, So what would happen if I took it down to the cambridge Apple store later today? besides being laughed at.

would they say "okay, we can fix it but it'll cost you $300" or would it just cost the price of applecare? or will they not be able to fix it and I'm shit out of luck?

If you're still under warranty, it might be the same scenario that BarracksSi had.

Wrao
2004-09-07, 13:20
If you're still under warranty, it might be the same scenario that BarracksSi had.

Nah, I got the pod last year and neglected to get applecare for it(I'm usually really good with taking care of my stuff)

I think I'm going to go there anyway, I need to get a mouse. But it'd be nice to know what to expect regarding the pod.

sunrain
2004-09-07, 13:22
Nah, I got the pod last year and neglected to get applecare for it(I'm usually really good with taking care of my stuff)

I think I'm going to go there anyway, I need to get a mouse. But it'd be nice to know what to expect regarding the pod.

Have them demo the iSights while you're at it.

Wrao
2004-09-07, 13:33
Have them demo the iSights while you're at it.

:D