PDA

View Full Version : Apple Creates iPod Division

InactionMan
2004-05-19, 20:25
Forbes is reporting that Apple has split iPod development into a separate division, placing little Jonny Rubenstein in the role of unholy leader of the iPod division. Timothy Cook will head the Mac division.

Link= http://www.forbes.com/technology/newswire/2004/05/19/rtr1378163.html

What does this mean! Oh my!

Honestly, was it really necessary to spin off the iPod? Will iTunes fall under Rubenstein's domain.

Messiahtosh
2004-05-19, 20:31
I think this is excellent, as Mac and iPod development wont mix and cuase each other to be delayed and slower than it should be. I wish Rubenstein would have stayed as the Mac guy and Cook went to the iPod, because I think Ruby happens to be the more technical guy/smarter.

Hopefully all of this is just good for Apple and helps to speed up development of both platforms.

Crusader
2004-05-19, 20:39
Cool, but I still want Jon doing mac design.

Quagmire
2004-05-19, 20:46
This is like when Jobs split the Mac team from the rest from apple. Do we know what happened? If you watched Pirates of Silicon Valley you should.

InactionMan
2004-05-19, 20:52
Hopefully Steve won't pick sides this time. Just let each division do their thing and it should be fine.

Though this may hint at the iPod becoming more of device than it is. Ah, the video iPod cometh.

I posted this at .com as well. No action there yet. Hmmmm.

Messiahtosh
2004-05-19, 20:54
All this really does is focus development more seriously on the iPod, while not letting it get in the way of Mac development (which may have been happening and could be responsible for sluggish updates).

Tomorrow, look for AAPL to run up wildly. Apple is a tech darling because of the iPod, this news will only bolster their image further.

ast3r3x
2004-05-19, 21:07
I guess this means a more advanced iPod, because really why would it need it's whole team?! Especially headed by someone like rubinstein. It'll be interested.

Mac+
2004-05-19, 21:14
This is a strong move, but as Undertaker said, remember what happened when Jobs spawned the Mac Development team off against the Apple II team. Apparently there were engineers bickering at a local pub one night saying: "We're the money" and the others were retorting, "Yeah, but we're the future!" (a good read on this stuff is "Apple" by Jim Carlton)

Hopefully, SJ has learned from this and the two divisions can coexist without any acrimony - at the same time helping to improve development times and force market share up.

Messiahtosh
2004-05-19, 21:30
Steve Jobs was a different manager back in the early 80's, he made a different decision about this type of thing after the Apple II and Mac team fiasco.

Newton Inc. was a plan to spin off the Newton development into its own company, completely separate from Apple, this was a Gill Amelio idea. Following Amelio's July 9th resignation, Steve Jobs had been running the company on an informal basis, and apparently this was just one of many Amelio decisions with which he didnt agree. On September 4th, Newton Inc. executives were told by Jobs not to move into their new offices. Days later, Jobs pulled the subsidiary back and and they became the development team that was later responsible for what shipped as the iBook.

After 11 years of the Newton project, it was cancelled. An estimated half a billion dollars on development and marketing had been spent on it, and only managed to sell about 250,000 Newton devices during 4 and a half years on the market. The profitless product became a lightening rod for criticism, pushed one engineer to suicide, and was the ultimate undoing of a high profile industry CEO.
--------------------

Point is, Jobs knows what he is doing here. He axed the Newton wisely, now he may be opening up while it is potentially the best time in history to do so. Expand the hell out of what is undoubtedly the most recognizeable Apple product at this time, give it focus, develop it at a fantastic rate, and make it even more iconic in the industry. Apple is trying to beat Sony to the punch, and any other competitor who may be trying to cash in on the revolution that Apple started.

Unlike the Newton, and the original Mac, Apple wants to have the largest piece of the pie that it can possibly have. While Apple has repeatedly put out products that have been financial failures, they have been technical wonders-teaching everyone else a lesson in how to "do it right." Apple does not want to just be given credit for pioneering yet another market, they want to dominate one for a change. This is their chance to do it, and this is one of the steps they are taking to do so.

HOM
2004-05-19, 21:43
That was a very well thought out post Messiahtosh. I completely disagree with all of it. :)

It was a mistake to kill the Newton then and that's becoming more and more clear. But this isn't the time or place for a lengthy rant about how the Steveing of Newton Inc was a terrible idea.

As for creating an iPod division within Apple, I think it's a great idea and one long coming. The iPod now is a platform independent of the Mac and Apple has finally realized it. It's becoming more obvious that the iPod is and will continue to be the product that is driving profitability within Apple. The Mac division may still be the one bringing in the most money, but time and time again Apple cannot make a significant profit on the Mac division.

The biggest problem I see is if the iPod division needs features added that are not in the best interest of the Mac division.

Messiahtosh
2004-05-19, 22:17
People cant be scared to see Apple expand and refocus. None of this "oh no, my favorite little innovation shop is going through puberty" thinking is going to cut it. It is high time that Apple puts itself out there and throws itself in the face of the industry, wall street, and consumers...in a good way.

Mac+
2004-05-20, 08:43
This is a strong move, but as Undertaker said, remember what happened when Jobs spawned the Mac Development team off against the Apple II team. ...[snip]...

I can't believe I just quoted/referenced Quaggie! :eek: :D
This truly is a new beginning! ... nice :)

Eugene
2004-05-21, 00:15
The new ad campaign needs refinement. I think they're sending the wrong message.

http://www.bestmessageboardever.com/uploads/post-5-1085098938.jpg

http://www.bestmessageboardever.com/uploads/post-5-1085099161.jpg