PDA

View Full Version : Macbook Pro "b" release date

reardoma
2006-06-23, 23:19
hi guys,

I know this will ruffle a few feathers, but i've got a purchasing question concerning the Macbook Pro. I've determined that the Macbook Pro is more suited for my needs than the Macbook, and i've now raised the funds to purchase one. Here is my question. I have always followed the "if you need one now buy one now" advice. The truth of the matter is, i don't really need one at this moment, but i will soon, as I am attending graduate school in the fall and a notebook is required for entrance. School starts very early September.

So you can see the question coming i'm sure - should i wait for the next release of the Macbook Pro, with the anticipated processor upgrade in August, or will i wait till august to find out they won't be releasing the Macbook Pro till November, or that they have released it late August or early September, but it will take a month to get to my door.

Common sense tells me to wait period, regardless or which version i buy. If i waited till August, perhaps i could get a better deal on the current MBP, and since i don't need it right now, there's no harm in waiting to see when the next version will be released. However, if you guys are confident the release won't be till late Nov, I would just go ahead and get the MBP because it would be great and convenient to have (and of course i could use it). I suppose i could always sell it and purchase the newer MBP, hopefully at a loss of only a 100-200 bucks (which i would be worth it to me to have for the next 3 months to use). Since i know it's impossible to pinpoint the exact release date, i'm sure your advice will be the same as my current plan, to just wait and see.

However, just in case you feel i've answered my own question, here's an additional concern i'd like your advice on. Will the next MBP cost much more than the current MBP? I was planning on buying the 1799 2.0 MBP and wouldn't want to wait 2 months to discover that although the next release comes in time, it's an extra 500 that i know today i won't be able to afford.

So - anyone care to take a guess at the release date and general price of the low end next revision of the famed MBP?

thanks for your help guys, first post, so be gentle.........:)

Windowsrookie
2006-06-23, 23:26
Nobody knows the release date. The price will most likely be the same.

reardoma
2006-06-24, 00:59
Yes i'm aware that no one knows the release date, i hear it's in the future. However, based on the release of meron i believe it's possible to speculate how long afterwards apple will unveil their new MBP. If anyone else can help with an estimate, it would be of help to me.

alcimedes
2006-06-24, 01:11
I'd guess within a month or so of the release of the chips assuming there aren't any massive changes (hotter) in heat output. I'm not up on the latest with the new chips though.

Apple will likely get their hands on the chips relatively soon. Their a small, high profile client. Great way for Intel to get their chips out in the market without committing to a client the size of Dell. :)

Robo
2006-06-24, 09:54
By the way...

The next MBP is Revision C. Revision B came out same day as the MacBooks.

chucker
2006-06-24, 10:01
By the way...

The next MBP is Revision C. Revision B came out same day as the MacBooks.

Depends on how you look at it. The change for "revision B" was a speed bump, but it only involved the CPU. Other than that, configurations remained exactly the same.

EmC
2006-06-24, 11:12
8/2/06

Robo
2006-06-24, 11:17
Depends on how you look at it. The change for "revision B" was a speed bump, but it only involved the CPU. Other than that, configurations remained exactly the same.

Don't...well...lots of revisions only involve a speed bump?

I don't think the Revision B iMac G3 gained anything other than an extra 33 MHz of clock speed.

Of course, the MacBook Pro might be an exception, because you could BTO a 2.18 GHz processor before the MacBooks came out - so I admit that the MBP bump could be seen as more of a reorganizing of options (similar to what the Mac mini saw in the middle of 2005, although it also gained 512MB of RAM standard, too).

chucker
2006-06-24, 11:20
Don't...well...lots of revisions only involve a speed bump?

I don't think the Revision B iMac G3 gained anything other than an extra 33 MHz of clock speed.

Of course, the MacBook Pro might be an exception, because you could BTO a 2.18 GHz processor before the MacBooks came out - so I admit that the MBP bump could be seen as more of a reorganizing of options (similar to what the Mac mini saw in the middle of 2005, although it also gained 512MB of RAM standard, too).

Well, did the model number change? I've only seen MacBookPro1,1 (15-inch) and MacBookPro1,2 (17-inch). If it's "truly" a new revision, it would probably be a 1,2 or 1,3.

reardoma
2006-06-24, 14:30
so if you guys were pressed to a decision, would you go ahead and buy the MBP now since the meron release in August will most likely mean an October MBP "b" release? I'm thinking yes because if i waited until Oct. i wouln't be able to get in on the nano back to school promotion.

neiltc13
2006-06-24, 15:03
I swear I'll scream if I see another topic about that stupid Merom chip. Nobody knows IF Apple are going to use it, so speculating that a revision will arrive at the same time as the chip is somewhat premature.

Remember also that Apple will likely have a stockpile of Core Duos ready to be put into notebooks. The release of Merom, even if Apple planned to use it all along, doesn't mean that the MacBook Pro would change instantly.

The MacBook Pro is a very capable machine. I suggest that you consider just whether it meets your needs now. We've reached the point where many tasks don't make the processor hit 100% and the variable processor speeds in notebooks mean that even if you got a 2.4GHz Merom or whatever, it might never hit that speed because you never need that from it.

Granted, it's always nice to have the latest technology but I don't see Apple revising the MacBook Pro anywhere apart from the processor. If a 2GHz Core Duo is enough for you then just go right ahead and buy.

chucker
2006-06-24, 15:12
I swear I'll scream if I see another topic about that stupid Merom chip. Nobody knows IF Apple are going to use it,

Well Apple not using it is pretty much out of question.

so speculating that a revision will arrive at the same time as the chip is somewhat premature.

I do agree with that. It's very much useless.

brassguy
2006-06-24, 18:19
hey reardoma, i have to go to my university at the end of August and I'm going to wait to pruchase a MBP.

I'll wait until there is more news of when the new MBPs with the new chip will be available.

I'll probably wait until WWDC.