PDA

View Full Version : A Simple Coding App?

babelfishi
2006-06-25, 12:29
Is there any good free application that is almost as simple as a text editor for coding? I really dislike huge applications such as XCode, Ecplise, Netbeans, JEdit...etc. that just seemed too much for me.
The only features that I want is:
-Free! :lol:
- Basic highlighting (Java)
- Find / Replace
- Auto tabbing
- Open files in tabs (such as Firefox)

A great example is Gedit, which is on the Gnome desktop in Linux. I just use Gedit to write my code, use Apache Ant to compile my java code, then run with the command line.

Anyone know a simple application on Mac OS X that is similar what I want?

chucker
2006-06-25, 12:32
TextMate or SubEthaEdit, neither of which is free. Good things cost money.

Brad
2006-06-25, 12:36
SubEthaEdit used to be free, though. If you dig around, you might be able to find an old version that didn't require paid registration.

chucker
2006-06-25, 12:38
Yeah, you can get the free old version from their… old versions (http://www.codingmonkeys.de/subethaedit/old.html) page. Duh.

Brad
2006-06-25, 12:43
Oh yeah. Forgot about that. :lol:

Wyatt
2006-06-25, 12:44
Yeah, you can get the free old version from their…�old versions (http://www.codingmonkeys.de/subethaedit/old.html) page. Duh.
If the old versions were universal, that would be sweet. That said, the current version is great for any kind of web site/application development. I use Dreamweaver most of the time for my HTML work (I love the template management), but I use SubEthaEdit for my PHP work, and I absolutely love it.

[edit] Actually, I changed my mind on the "universal" thing there. I just downloaded the 2.2 dmg and ran the app, and it's still great. Go with that for your Java work.

Brad
2006-06-25, 12:47
If the old versions were universal, that would be sweet.
I find it difficult to believe that unless you're doing a lot of search/replace that you really need the speed of a Universal Binary version over the old version running under Rosetta. It's just a text editor. :)

PKIDelirium
2006-06-25, 13:20
I use Taco HTML Edit

http://tacosw.com/htmledit/

No joke, it's awesome.

babelfishi
2006-06-25, 13:27
Ooh. That SubEthaEdit looks really nice...what does the command line tool exactly do?

EDIT: Anyone know how to use it with Apache Ant?

Wyatt
2006-06-25, 13:38
I find it difficult to believe that unless you're doing a lot of search/replace that you really need the speed of a Universal Binary version over the old version running under Rosetta. It's just a text editor. :)
Very true (thus my edit that you posted before). I don't need any of the features added in the new version, so I've uninstalled the trial I had of the new one and installed 2.2. It's very nice. :)

Kickaha
2006-06-25, 13:44
I used to use SEE, loved it. Moved over to TextMate recently though, and it is worth every bloody penny. Unbelievable customization and hooks *everywhere*. If you like getting in there and monkeying with your coding environment, this is the most flexible system I've used, with the possible exception of emacs. Except, of course, with this you get to use non-lisp, which is a plus.